Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Mercury vibration

We are considering taking a mexican rivera cruise on the Mercury. I understand that their is a vibration problem with this class vessel. Has anyone stayed in one of the family suites located at the aft of the ship. Did you experience a vibration or noise problem? Should I stay away from these suites?
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Babette

Default Re: Mercury vibration

Yes, there is a constant vibration aft... not merely vibration from the thrusters.

I'd suggest you take a look at reviews for Mercury.. and her sister ship Galaxy.. and her sibling ship Century.
Old February 19th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Mercury vibration

I have to disagree with Babette. I have actually stayed for a week in one of those cabins and there is not a constant vibration, only when the thrusters were put on.

Don
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:47 PM
hcat

stay mid ship high up & there's never a problem
Old February 19th, 2004, 03:47 PM
Frank Black

I took the Mercury about 5 weeks ago. Our dining room table was along the large aft windows next to the big captains table. There was lots of vibration during meals. I really do not think it would be a big problem unless you are very sensitive to those sort of things.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 12:27 PM
Rat

There were noisy vibrations in our FO cabin on the Mercury. It was very annoying and scary for my mother on our last cruise on the Mercury.
Old February 22nd, 2004, 05:12 PM
Rickster

My experience has been that the Century class ships (at least the Century) vibrate more than the "M" class ships. We were in a Century aft balcony cabin when the ship was leaving port and the vibrations would shake your fillings lose! On the other hand, we just spent a week in a aft cabin on the Millie and the entire cruise was very smooth. We never experienced any vibrations when leaving or arriving in ports. In fact we fell asleep and missed the sailaway at DR, and at St Thomas we woke up and looked out our balcony and their was the bow of the Sun Princess larger than life right next to us. We never heard or felt vibration.

The "pods" on the M-class reduces vibrations, while the traditional fixed props on the Century result in a more noticeable level of vibrations. Either way the vibrations are part of the overall cruise experience. I'll be shaking on the Century in six days!

Rick :-)
Old February 23rd, 2004, 08:55 AM
Yeoman

Just off of the Mercury (20th) and love the aft areas of all the ships I am on and I definitely noticed more vibration than any other ship I have ever been on (approx 18 ships). Cabin was mid-ship but breakfast and many long stays at the aft railing for the wonderful view of the water trail made it very noticable. I would not have minded having my cabin there but I know it might have annoyed others.
Old February 23rd, 2004, 03:15 PM
GaryC

Safe rule on the Horizon and Mercury class ships would be to avoid cabins in the rear 1/4 of the lowest deck. We had a room just forward of center on the lowest deck and you could hear a pin drop in your room.
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:53 AM
ebonybee

Default Re: Re: Re: Mercury vibration

While on the Galaxy, experienced vibrations when leaving a port. Since we had early seating, this was always during our dinner time. We would hold our place settings to prevent them for landing on the floor. It was all over in 10 minutes or less!

We always knew when we were leaving port!