Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 26th, 2004, 02:42 PM
George in Montreal

Default Hotels in Fort Lauderdale

We're on the Summit out of Fort Lauderdale on April 16. Our last cruise out of Lauderdale wasin 2002 and we stayed at the Embassy Suites and thoroughly enjoyed it but their rates seem to have gone through the ceiling (over $325 a night Canadian or about $250 US).

We've stayed at other area hotels in the past, but things change with time, hence this post: what hotels do you Cruisemates recommend? We'd like to hold the room to a maximum of $200 a night including taxes and prefer a hotel/motel with a restaurant on site that isn't too far from Port Everglades.

What do you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Old February 26th, 2004, 03:30 PM
christine fischer

Default Re: Hotels in Fort Lauderdale

Look under "practical advice" at the "hotels" board for a discussion of this topic. I had the same question and folks seem to still really like the Embassy Suites. I'm staying there 3/6 and I'll let you know how it goes.
Old February 26th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Take a look at Kuki's recent priceline article. I think folks are getting Embassy suites for less than $100. I did pay $139 the last time I stayed there but that was during the in water yacht show ( our stay just happened to coincide, I was not there to look at yachts). Alternatives include Amerisuites, just down the road. I have also stayed at Radisson Bahia Mar, just over the draw bridge from Embassy Suites and it was only $135 per night or so.
With some homework you can certainly find either Embassy Suites for much less or an acceptable alternative.
Old February 26th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Tom W

You have to check things out. We love the Embassy Suites. The past times there we got reservations on Priceline.com and paid under $100.00 a night and still got all the great items that go with it. We even stayed a few extra night before the cruise and got delivered to the port without charge. Try and see what happens. I know I will.
Old February 27th, 2004, 04:58 AM
melania

I actually got a great deal on Hotwire for the Sheraton Yankee Trader, it was great. I have also stayed at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper and liked that one also. Prices are under $200 if you go to the starwood web site.
Old February 27th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Go Bears

George. Definitely check out priceline. Just make sure you understand how Priceline works before you bid. It's really not difficult. Check out biddingfortravel.com for assistance. Very helpful.

We are staying at the Mariott Marina in October for $48 plus taxes.
Old March 11th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Admiral

Embassy is preferred but often not available on Priceline for an acceptable price. Amerisuites is a 2 12 star which is also good for just a one night stay. Valuetrips.com has a reduced rate if you don't use Priceline. Marriott Marina (3 star) and Hyatt (4 star) have been coming up for a winning bid. Check out recent winning bids on biddingfortravel, betterbidding and biddingforfun.com.
Bon Voyage
Old March 13th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Beginner

Hi George,
We are on the same cruise, Summit 4/16, and we found the Comfort Suites for under $125 on Expedia.com. We have a queen suite, not far from the port, and it can hold my family of 4. They also have airport pick-up and cruise port transports. It's only a 2 star rating, but I only need to sleep overnight before going to luxury!
Good luck from a fellow Canadia (but living in the States).
Old March 17th, 2004, 10:05 AM
christine fischer

We just returned from our 3/7 Millenium sailing and stayed at the Embassy Suites 3/6 precruise for the first time. We had a great experience and I would highly recommend this hotel. However, we stayed there for free using Hilton points and I'm not sure that you can get a great rate on it anymore. We were unsuccessful bidding on it through Priceline and others have said that the cruiselines are using it for their precruise passengers thus limiting the available space and upping the price for the rest of us. We did not make it to the managers reception (free cocktails) but we did enjoy the gigantic buffet breakfast. I'm leary of room that include free "breakfast" as some hotels play fast and loose with what qualifies as "breakfast." While the food wasn't gourmet, there were many options, hot and cold - eggs, sausage, bacon, pancakes, french toast, fresh fruit, breads, muffins, cereals, multiple juices, coffee, tea, etc. This was served in their beautiful atrium and was a joy. Our room was a true suite (living area w/ fold out couch and kitchenette, bedroom w/ king bed and full bath) which came in handy as we were travelling with kids and it was great to have one "private" night before all sharing the cabin together on the ship. We did not use the hotels shuttle service although it was available and when we initially called on 3/6 at about 11:30 p.m. to reserve a spot, we had no problem getting a reservation for 11:30 a.m. - the exact time we wanted to go to the ship. However, we had a rental car to return and wound up using Dollar's free shuttle to the port. The only disappointment was that someone had described how great it was to have a "view of that water" and watch the ships pull in in the a.m. I had the impression that the hotel was actually on the water, it is not. We did have a somewhat distant water view from our balcony but the water was beyond a giant muddy construction site. (I wonder what they're building and whether it will obscure the water view in the future) We were able to watch the ships pull in and that was nice but the port area is more industrial than I realized and it wasn't exactly pretty to look at. All of that said, we had a great deal, especially since it was free. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here in the future.
Old March 17th, 2004, 12:24 PM
First Mate

We are on Summit 4/16, but are staying at the Renaissance free courtesy of my Marriott Rewards points. Coming in on the 15th late in the afternoon. Also called the hotel and found out they do NOT have a shuttle from the airport, just in case anyone else needs to know.

Post cruise we are at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper, only not for free.

But in between will be 10 days of luxury....and given the snow that just fell here in Connecticut, we can't wait.

Sid1962
Old March 20th, 2004, 12:47 PM
hcat

JUst back--Amerisuites was fine--clean, friendly but slow check in process. Friends at Embassy loved it. We all enjoyed cocktails at the Hyatt in the revolving bar & then had a great dinner at Chuck's across from Embassy Suites. For post cruise night we had Comfort Inn on Stirling Road--it is very old & needs refurbishment- We walked to a local mall for dinner as it is not near much of anything. The free breakfast bufftet was quite ample but we would not do it again--just too old with outside room entrances, old furniture & worn appearance. It is a popular place with pre & post cruisers due to location & free shuttle but just not for us!
Old March 27th, 2004, 07:56 AM
JLKoag

Just back (yesterday) from Summit 11 day cruise to Caribbian - was great!

We stayed at the B/Western Marina the night before the cruise. It is an old style hotel/motel (like the old Holiday Inns of the 70's), but the rooms were nice and the food was good - they have an outside bar with a limited food menu - we ate there with a cocktail and it was real good. The service was real good too.

The REAL benefit was how wonderfully organized they were with the shuttle service from the airport and to the cruise terminals (a LOT of people were going on cruises).

Price, including tax and shuttles was $139 and change. Very nice for a one night stay prior to the cruise.

jlk
Old March 30th, 2004, 03:28 PM
bmct

We stayed in the Best Western Marina, and would never do it again.

The rooms were clean and comfortable. We were on the 3rd floor, 90 yr old aunt on 2nd floor, our kids on the ground floor next to the outdoor bar.

The kids go NO SLEEP in two nights, thanks to the horrible noise from the bar. It was positively awful.

The shuttle service to the Pier looks nice, but they stage the busses and bags at the bottome of the stairway, and it was very noisy in our room from that.

Embassy Suites is far, far superior.
Old March 31st, 2004, 05:17 AM
Admiral

We've stayed at the Marriott Marina and Amerisuites in Ft. Lauderdale. I would highly recommend both of them. We always use Priceline and have never been disappointed.

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old March 31st, 2004, 07:12 AM
George in Montreal

As the person who started this thread, I am pleased to report that my travel agent got us a good room at the Sheraton Yankee Clipper for $125 US for one night. That is a good $30 less than any of the on-line discounters that tell you where you are going to stay (as compared to princeline, which doesn't). So I am a happy camper!