Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 16th, 2004, 07:47 PM
daffomom

Default does anyone know if carring your own bags off is allowed?

We will be on the Mercury to Alaska out of San Francisco May 5, 2004, returning May 17th. Does anyone know if we have the option to NOT put our bags out in the hall the night before & just roll them out ourselves? We had an early flight out of NYC last fall on Carnival Victory & we able to do this..we were at LaGuardia by 9:30 am & flight didn't leave until noon...we are flying back to Michigan & 12:30 pm is the latest flight we could get out of SFO. Heard from some others that it was a good thing we had done this as they got stuck in massive crowds from other ships & it took HOURS to get anywhere.
Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2004, 09:23 PM
AR

Default Re: does anyone know if carring your own bags off is allowed

You know, these days you can probably do anything you want, and everybody seems to have an angle to get an edge on everybody else. So what the heck, if it feels good, do it.

I would ask you to consider, though, what debarkation would be like if everyone adopted your idea. The word "chaos" would not begin to describe it. My personal view is that the companionways and other public areas of the ship are not the places for passengers to be wrangling their bags while everybody else is trying to vacate their rooms and do the other parts of the "last morning gavotte."

The other option would be to explain to the folks at the desk about your flight time, and ask them to give you a tag color that will let you get off in time to make your flight.
Old March 16th, 2004, 11:00 PM
FreesiaE

Daffomom-First, let me say thatI found your questions very interesting and not at all selfish! I understand where you are coming from on this, and to me it makes more sense to let people have the option to carry their own bags out. However, I also see how it can "overcrowd" the public areas and lobbies. Plus, the stevedors (I think that's the right word) would not be getting their tips for baggage help. I think the best way to go is to implore the front desk for an early debarktion. Also, maybe something "unique" on your bag handles, like a hot pink scarf, would help you find your bags faster.
Old March 17th, 2004, 02:05 PM
twtypy

Default Re: Re: does anyone know if carring your own bags off is all

Hi Daffomom, I will be on your sailing. I was also wondering if Celebrity has this option..I was on Carnival in Feb. and was surprized by the option, but found out to late for me to use it..luckily we were off the ship by 10 am...Many people chose to carry their own luggage off and it all seemed to run smoothly...Anyways, I have not heard anybody talk about self de-embarkation on Celebrity, so I don't think they offer it, but I am sure they will work with you because of your early flight...
Old March 17th, 2004, 08:08 PM
rhlaw

We just got off the Summit this week. We were told at the disembarkment talk you can put as many bags out for them to take off , and you can take as many bags as you want to take off yourself. They gave us 5 tickets to put on the bags. People were taking some bigger bags off. But the disembarkment went so smoothly we had no problem getting our bags. You should be given a form to fill in the beginning asking your airline flight time and then your disembarkment time is scheduled from that. The earlier flights went first, we went last , but was still at the airport fast ,there were plenty of taxis.This is the way that they did it on the Summit in Ft. Lauderdale. We, the ship, also had to wait to clear customs , no one went anywhere till that was done. Hope this helps. Have a great time.
Old March 17th, 2004, 08:28 PM
IdahoMountainMan

12:30 is really not an unreasonable departure time. You will have plenty of time to go through the normal departure procedures provided there is no hold up with customs. Im sure there will be many other people from that ship also taking flights back East at around that time of the afternoon. Because of the time difference and the flying time most flights arriving in the evening dont leave the West coast much later than that. I wouldnt be too concerned. When you fill out the debarkation form tell them your flight leaves at 10:00AM that way you are sure to be first off the ship. I advise against keeping your luggage. Im not sure about San Francisco but when I came off the Mercury in San Diego we didnt even go through customs. Everyone was pre cleared. Im sure all the luggage was sniffed by the dogs etc. before we got off the ship. If they do that in San Francisco and you come off the ship with bags in hand your liable to get pulled aside by customs and that may cost you more time than you saved by keeping your luggage.
Old March 18th, 2004, 11:50 AM
First Mate

12:30 as has been said isn't even considered an early departure. I would ask for colored tickets that will get your bags and you off early if this is a concern. Only once did we see an entire group carrying their own bags. It was an RCI cruise and they were young kids, probably in their early 20s. What a pain it was for all of us. We almost missed our plane as we kept getting pushed back on debarkation by the passengers carrying huge pieces of luggage. I think it is totally unexceptabel although I think you can do it if you want. Remember you usually have to go down an exculator from the ship and carrying luggage can be a pain to everyone. Just isn't a good idea in my opinion.

NMNita
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:41 PM
Passenger

daffomom
Some advice I learned from a fellow traveler. A couple of years ago. We took a transatlantic cruise from England to Boston. There was this fellow cruiser who always seemed to be in his bathing suite and a tank top when the weather allowed, He had a suite for dinner and when we saw him on shore in Newfoundland, he had a nice pare of shorts on and a shirt and a sweater. He was pretty resourceful too, some how he found a place to rent a bicycle and he saw much more of St. John then we did.
When we got off the ship and were in the milling morass of peoples looking for our baggage I spotted this carefree cruiser getting off the ship with his rather small duffle and he was out the door long before we could even look for our bags.
Every one OVER packs. Donít take so much. I travel every month and have made a science out of not over packing. In one case at Ft.Lauderdale we made a flight only because we did not have to check any baggage, we had ten minutes from the time we got to the airport to catch the flight. By the way if that ever does happen to you just find a sheriff or security person and tell them of your plight and they will help you get to the front of the security line with your tickets in hand, that is how we made it. So have a great cruise, pack smart enjoy. Michael M
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:54 PM
daffomom

Well...I guess we will just wait & see. We have not sailed with Celebrity before. I have read posts that say there isn't much rhyme or reason for how they decide who gets what color tag, etc...I will definitely put down that we have an earlier flight.

It really did run very smooth in NYC...we went & got breakfast, stopped back to our room & got our bags & literally walked off the ship...hardly anyone took this option I guess...the area to catch a cab was on the same level & they gave you a number to get a cab & you just waited your turn to get one.

We packed on the light side, as we were thinking we would like to be able to carry our own things if we were allowed. Our daughter is in college & had a theatre performance the evening we arrived back in port & we really wanted to be sure we didn't miss our plane, not knowing how traffic might be in NYC.

Actually it was people on this website that gave us the advice to carry our own luggage off if it was an option.....I only knew about putting your stuff out the night before.

I guess it's like anything else...someone will think it's a great idea and someone else will think it stinks!
Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:22 PM
cm

My husband and I wanted to try to get on stand by a few years ago so when filling out the papers to leave we said our flight was about 1 hour before it really was. No one checks and you get off earlier. I probably shouldn't be telling our secrets.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 01:24 PM
Admiral

AR is so right on target! Deb and I did the "self disembarkation" on Carnival Victorya couple years ago. The ship offered it as a way to "get off ship faster"..lol..yea right. Now if you are someone who carries a small overnight bag for a 7 or 11 day cruise, it is a good thing. <G> Our experience was complete and utter chaos! People crunched in passage ways trying to move and forget the elevators...you won't get one. So you have complete madness on the stairways. Tempers flairing, kids screaming etc. It is a joke. Why would anyone want to spend a substantial amount of money for a wonderful vacation and then haul their own baggage around on a ship? Amazing. Don't forget.regardless of how your baggage goes ashore, you still have to go through Customs. Do you really save enough time to make the hassle worth it? You want to do it...fine do it <G> however, do not run over my toes with your bags .