CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Fanny Pack ? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/210909-fanny-pack.html)

minpa March 17th, 2004 05:18 PM

Fanny Pack ?

Does anyone use one on these when they go on shore? Any recommended supplies to take along besides cash and a camera?

Donna March 17th, 2004 06:10 PM

Re: Fanny Pack ?

Hi Minpa,
I too always bring along my fanny pack and do use it when going ashore, its great for just a shipping trip. If we're going on an excursion, then I bring along a backpack for towels, etc.

CathyM March 17th, 2004 06:26 PM

Yes, both my husband and I bring one of those nylon ones. I think I bought it at WalMarts. My husband also has a leather one for his digital camera.

I also just found a little small purse, about the size of a wallet with a long strap to hold my boarding card, credit card and some money. I usually strap this across my body and keep it in front of me. I had a real problem finding one, but alas found it at WalMart.

I definately bring a nylon beach bag if we do any excursions for suntan lotion, hat, glasses, towel etc.

I would pack a fanny pack, just in case you want to use it.

jamiegunter March 18th, 2004 02:41 PM

I got mine in the travel section of local Target. It fits under your shirt, around waist. That way no one sees it, and I keep money and credit card in it. Very safe, and no one can grab it off ya.

JudyA. March 18th, 2004 03:32 PM

It would be the WORST sort of folly to wear a fanny pack !!!! Thieves adore them. You might as well wear a neon sign proclaiming that you are a rich American tourist and inside this easily accessed little zippy bag is where you keep all your cash & credit cards. If you must wear one, keep only stuff of no value in it, like lip balm, sunscreen, sunglasses..etc...

WEAR A MONEY BELT. And do not carry your passport everywhere, you won't need it.

Tracey March 18th, 2004 06:06 PM

Re: Re: Fanny Pack ?

I know that this might sound odd , I always take a travel size hair spray bottle filled with water with me on every trip--great for MANY uses. (refresh your face, spray on sticky hands, clean off a dirty lunch table etc.. the best is to spray on the back of your neck to cool you off.) I am telling you that you will use it alot !! Tracey

linda wilson March 18th, 2004 09:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: Fanny Pack ?

Tracey,
What a neat tip about travel spray bottle. I ride w/my husband on his
harley & have tried many things to stay cool.
Thanks,
Linda

KeyLime March 18th, 2004 11:48 PM

Right on JudyA...not only is the fanny pack a target, it looks terrible. I like the idea of a money belt, but I bought a small security pouch I wore around my neck and under my arm, like a shoulder holster but small and flat...perfect for a credit card, a couple travelers checks and a stash of bucks....found it in a travel speciality store and loved it.

Sterling Silver March 19th, 2004 08:31 PM

I have to join those who suggest that a fanny pack is an easy target for thieves to "snip" off. I like to always have something over my shoulder (camera case, men's "purse") that I can also grip with my hand. If you use a fanny pack keep it off the fanny. Get it out there where you can see it and touch it. There is nothing fool proof. They all know who are the tourists are, even without our Hawaiian print shirt and fanny pack. Go in groups and STAY IN THE MIDDLE!

minpa March 22nd, 2004 05:06 AM

Thanks for everyones good advise. Great information!

Mike

CathyM March 26th, 2004 08:12 PM

I always keep the pouch in front of me, never in the back.

I found what works better is just a little travel purse that you have over your shoulder with it in front of you. I've learned this from living in NYC. It also keeps your hands free and keeps the purse in front of you. I would never put a purse on my shoulder.

You are better off putting your credit card and money in your front pants/shirt pocket and just keep your cruise card and glasses etc in the pack.

The key is to be always be aware of what is going on around you and you should be okay.

hcat April 5th, 2004 11:49 AM

Believe me it is not the fanny pack that makes us look like tourists!