Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Default Thinking about Celebrity for our next cruise

We are 2 couples in our late 40's- early 50's looking for something a bit "more" shall we say, we have sailed Princess a few times with no complaints, just looking to step it up a notch or two if you know what i mean. We are looking for a 10 day - just did the Eastern Route ( St.Thomas, St. Maarten) recently - maybe a Western or Southern on one of the newer ships, is Celebrity a good choice for us? We are active and like good nightlife. Any suggestions as to which ship? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:28 PM
cm

Default Re: Thinking about Celebrity for our next cruise

My husband and I were on the Horizon in Novermber. This is an older ship but still very nice. Service was above and beyond and the food was very good. Rooms were average size but bathrooms seemed to be a bit larger especially the showers. we were on the 10day Ultimate Caribbean. (Cozumel, Grand Caymen, Roatan Honduras. Colon, Panama and Limon Costa Rica) These were very nice for the most part. Also I have heard that on older ships you get a great price. We thought our price was excellent. Plenty of storage for clothes. Warm towels were wrapped around our shoulders when getting back on the ship in Honduras. It was pouring rain. Cold towels were handed out in Cozumel. It was very hot that day. We would sail with them again. Need to book again soon but taking a year off.
Old March 22nd, 2004, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Lisa... suggest you think about our group cruise on the Constellation, if you have any interest in cruising to Canada.

I like Celebrity alot and do think they're fit to be called a "premium brand".

With a CM group there's always going to be someone to have some fun with in the evening <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 22nd, 2004, 02:45 PM
Verdillia

We have just returned on a 7 night cruise on the Millennium... it was fantastic, the service was excellent, the food was wonderful. We had a balcony room it was so nice to relax and have a view of the ocean. The sushi bar from 6p-10p was just right to tide us over to our late dinner setting. I thought the entertainment was good, they had bands, singers, string quartet, pianist so you could find a lounge or deck to suite your taste. In the theatre they had their dancers who put on multiple different singing and dancing shows, a comedian and magical artistry show.There is a nice indoor adults only pool which is also very relaxing.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 06:38 PM
bmct

Default Re: Re: Thinking about Celebrity for our next cruise

Good choice!

We sailed on the Summit in Oct 2002 with our 89 yr old aunt. A fantastic time was had by all. Then with her and another over 65 friend on the Mercury last Oct. Another fine cruise.

We're Platinum on Princess, but haven't sailed with them since 2000. We think Celebrity is a cut above. Ships are about the same size/capacity.

The decor is fairly bright and contemporary. Not Las Vegas gaudy like Carnival, not European dark and antique like HAL.

Cabins are nicely laid out. Can't say if the bathrooms are bigger than Princess, but they were nice.

We were on Crystal last spring, and another couple we spoke with thought the dining room service on Celebrity was superior to Crystal. The food was not quite up to Crystal,
but we didn't pay Crystal prices, either. And we liked the dining room staff much better on Celebrity.

On Celebrity, if you go to the Lido buffet, the trays will have a linen liner and linen napkin, and their will be a steward at the end of the line waiting to carry the tray to a table.

And they keep it very clean. We saw a steward being chewed out because the table had been empty for almost two minutes and hadn't been cleared.

Celebrity is trying to give Crystal a run for the money. They are trying to be a cut above
Princess and HAL, service like that on Crystal, but accommodations more like Princess and HAL.

We were in 1022 on Mercury, balcony stateroom. The brochure says it "averages" 172 sq ft. HOWEVER, since it is forward, where the ship narrows, it was only 158 sq ft. Even our aunt in 1160, which was 172 sq ft , was a bit "compact." We liked the Summit and the 195 sq ft better, but would go on the Mercury again. We would try for the Sky Suites, for extra room.

We tend to spend a lot of time in the stateroom. I go on cruises to vegetage, read, and do needlepoint.

We enjoyed our entertainment on Celebrity. Especially liked the comedians they had.

All in all, I think you would find it to your liking.

Give it a try!
Old March 23rd, 2004, 09:44 PM
On top

Hi Lisa,
If you want to step it up at night
I would not suggest Celebrity,
Seems after 7:00PM The crowd Goes to sleep.
Just got back from the Carribean on the
Summit and after dinner it was a ghost ship
Mostly Older group and were not much on
Staying up.The Disco was Empty by 10-10:30
and maybe 6-8 people left.
If you like action and fun Try RCCL last
Year we closed down the clubs each night.
Dancing, hanging out Etc.
Good luck on your cruise.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:54 PM
Donna K

LisaK,
Just sailed for the first time on Celebrity, Constellation. They had plenty of entertainment and night life. The ship had a mix of ages. 20's 30's but mostly 40's & 50's. The disco was full and the other "pop" lounge always had people dancing and singing. It really depends on the mix.
Shows seemed to be better, beef was much above the other lines. We didn't need knives to cut the steaks!! HAven't really liked the burgers on any of the lines except for the voyager line of RC.
We had late seating dinner and again didn't have any problems with dancing the late supper off before retiring.

Good luck.
Old March 24th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Admiral

than you all for your responses, you have been very helpful. Looks like Celebrity will be our next cruise!
Old March 25th, 2004, 07:26 PM
M&P

Default Re: Re: Thinking about Celebrity for our next cruise

Lisa,

We're taking the Celebrity "Escape" cruise in June. We're mid to late 40's, keep our E-Mail address and bump us mid June, we'll give you a report.

Mike
Old March 26th, 2004, 12:49 PM
hcat

To On Top--which cruise were you on? Our 3/5 Summit trip was a great party at the pool & we enjoyed the club many nights with lots of others-- The entire group was very lively & made use of all the facilities! The younger cruisers also kept the workout room hopping! I would certainly recommend the Summit for an all around great cruise!
Old March 26th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey Lisa

Hubby and I went on the 10-night Ultimate Southern Caribbean on the Summit this past December and loved it!

It was the nicest group of cruise people I've ever experienced and while waiting on line for food, I heard other people comment on that as well. The staff was also wonderful, always said hello when they passed you in the hallway. Service was great all around.

The Southern Carib was a great itinerary two days at sea, five ports then two days back at sea. Very relaxing.

We had a fun group, we met them online and set it up to meet and have dinner together. We had a blast.

The martini bars and the Cova Cafe was great. The spa and spa food is top notch. Go for a mini-facial, very nice and they didn't push any products.

Of course the specialty restaurant is always fabulous on any ship.

This was my first time on the Summit, but had been on the Horizon to Bermuda the year before and I would definately go back on the Summit.

I am booked for the Constellation this October and the Millenium in Jan 05, just need the Infinity to Hawaii and I'm set.

We flip-flop with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean and so far have not had a need to look elsewhere.

If you give the Summit a try, would love to hear what you thought.
Old March 29th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Yeoman

We're going on 11 day "west" caribbean on Summit Oct. 25th. We are in the same age range as you are. I'm 44 and hubby is 56. Come join us!

Post Edited (03-29-04 11:10)