Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2004, 04:42 PM
lisiamc

Default Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

hcat and Bseabob,

I was feeling guilty because we've never tipped in the Normadie, thinking the $25 charge was to cover the tip. I had a peek at the Celebrity website FAQ under Prepare to Sail (search on specialty) and they said:

"There is a cover charge for dining in the specialty restaurants onboard Constellation, Millennium, Infinity, and Summit. This charge is a per person charge that will be posted to your onboard signature account (This covers gratuities). "

So now I don't feel quite so bad about not leaving an extra tip. Although of course the extra would be appreciated, I'm sure, and the service WAS outstanding. (Now I'm feeling guilty again!)

Lisa
Old April 15th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

How did you end up getting a coupon...mind sharing?
Please reply to my e-mail as I don't go on the boards often
We sail Oct on Infinity Trans Panama Canal
Thanks
Mags
Old April 15th, 2004, 03:35 AM
First Mate

Hi Big Apple -just thought u might like to get in on the big discussion on RCCL site re: charging for Johny Rockets restaurants on board 2 ships as an experiment and charging for 'extras' on all cruises in general.. I wonder why it is so difficult for people to understand that revenue is necessary and a business will get it wherever possible and that includes charging service fees for specially cafes. Do people want to pay more for the cruise itself 'cause that is what will happen if there isn't the revenue from elsewhere and at least with service fees only those that actually avail themselves pay for it..Am I missing something here?? Hope alls well with you. I see u are, as usual, benefitting others with your wisdom..Seen Peter or Paul or anyone else? Happy cruisin'!
Old April 15th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Passenger

lisiamic

no need to feel guilty at all and thks. I thought everyone was getting worked up about nothing other than an enforced bigger tip here. Seems like we were correct.
Foods just fine in the Dining room and if you want to pay a big tip for the Great Service that one gets in their spcialty restaurants ...go for it. We enjoyed the service but frankly on the occasion we were there the food was lacking compared to the main room. Happens in the best of restaurants I guess.
So...... should we not tip the main room guys for the meal we missed when we were at the Specialty restaurant....????!!!!!!!! Life aboard was too simple when we just had one great mealtime and place...
Old April 15th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Big Apple

Default Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

Hi Cruisecrazy,Good to hear from you again.Have been limiting my comments to Holland and Celebrity my two favorite lines however will go over to RCLL for the comments on extra fees.Have not seen anything from Peter orPaul.Am putting together a family cruise for the latter part of nov.Am looking for good price and would like to get Millinnium for this group.All are married and all have been on cruises in the past.Any suggestions?
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:33 PM
First Mate

Yah - nice to chat again...As per suggestions - One thing I can recommend is that u all book the same guarantees (it's the devil in me but just think of the 'fun' if 1 couple get a suite & the rest dont'...ah well just kidding)?. Odds are u will all get an upgrade and likely the same one..worth a try maybe?? As far as extra fees topic on RCCL site the subject lines are: Is The Bad Rumour Tru? - Stop Scaring 1st Time Pax? & Reason For Charging Fees JR. Appreciate your insight into all this. Some words of wisdom wld really be in order and perhaps I am missing something - wld like to learn..I have discovered a reason why some people are experiencing problem children on these cruises.Chat again soon - plse keep safe & as usual - happy cruisin!!
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:17 PM
Big Apple

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

Thanks Cruisecrazy,You have a good point on booking guaranteehowever I am able to do a little better than best published rate which I am not able to discuss.Maybe I will do all others at that rate.Th anks for the input.
Old April 18th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

Have just read on another board that the "fee" for dining in the Vintage room on Crystal is going up, and will be OVER $1000 even if it is just a couple dining. I find it hard to believe such a price, does antone here know if this is true.

Makes $30 per person on Celebrity seem very affordable. Of course the bill on Crystal does include wine.( and the"bragging rights" ) but I cannot believe anyone will really wish to pay that kind of price
Old April 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM
hcat

That's hard to believe--guess it will keep the crowds down! I would rec. the specialty rest to anyone who really likes dining out & being fussed over or for a special occasion...other than that just another night to get dressed up for! I enjoyed it but enjoyed the acqua spa food & sushi also---not a big gourmet!
Old April 19th, 2004, 03:56 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

I would venture a guess that the fee is $100 not $1000 - makes more sense to me-but guess there are people who wld pay it!
Old April 19th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Big Apple

Hi Cruisecrazy,This is why I will stay with mainstream cruises and just think nhow many more cruises we can take.Agree that the fee must have been$100 as they are already paying a fortune for this type cruising.I will aply the savings to my dream cruise arround the world which may be next yr. on H olland or at least a 30 day portion.
Old April 20th, 2004, 03:22 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

Hi There Again Big Apple - oh WOW tell me more re: dream cruise please....
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Big Apple

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

Hi Cruisecrazy, We are looking at Prinsendam out of La next Jan for 21 days and ending inAustralia.Would like to take the whole thing for 100days but need the stock market to do a lot better than current results.My idea is to then spendsome two to three weeks in New Zealand and Australia where we have never been.Our trips have taken us to europe on numerous ocassions and most recently attented a wedding in Spain where we were entertained at a villa onnthe med.My wife worked for Sas airlines and we took the family to europe each yr. while living in Ak and then a cruise over there most yrs.Costa was the most popular and I believe may still be the largest in europe.Have a great time on island cruise and I feel this is a great way to see the islands.We have spent many weeks on all the islands with the exception of Honolula which is too touristy for us.
Old April 20th, 2004, 10:44 PM
AR

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

Wonder if you folks could take this conversation to e-mail offline. You're way off topic.
Old April 21st, 2004, 04:31 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

AR - don't remember or see where u were invited to comment or where it is written that u direct these threads either. Besides - when are we not discussing cruising??? If u don't like it don't read it but at least do us the courtesy of m.y.o.b. - I have never interfered or instructed u to do anything!!!
Old April 21st, 2004, 04:37 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

Hi Big Apple - plse forgive my outburst but such rudeness annoys me. Sounds wonderful - love to hear final plans and then what u experience on your 'trip' of a lifetime.... Not surprised u don't like touristy areas or some cruiselines for that matter - we have a meeting of the minds here hmmm? Regards Cruisecrazy
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:35 AM
AR

Hey cruisecrazy--

Here's a short course on rudeness, pal:

1. The topic of the thread is "Specialty Restaurant Fees," not "cruising." Therefore when the "new" light pops up on that topic heading and it turns out to be one of your e-mails to your friend, that's off topic. By definition. And THAT'S rude. So cut the nonsense.

2. This is a bulletin board and I don't need to be invited to comment by you or anybody else, so let's be straight about that too. If you don't want comments by outsiders, take that stuff to e-mail where it belongs.

3. My point is exactly that I DON'T want to read your personal messages, and I DO want to myob, which is exactly why your e-mails shouldn't show up under the topic of Specialty Restaurant Fees--which in turn prompt me to open the string. Get it?

4. I think anybody who looks at it objectively will figure out quickly who's being rude. I originally asked nicely if you'd mind taking your off-topic personal exchanges to e-mail. But I'm sure you won't.
Old April 21st, 2004, 05:21 PM
Big Apple

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

Ar reminds me of someone on our last board.Maybe if ignored he will go away.
Old April 21st, 2004, 06:49 PM
hcat

Time for the referee"s whistle--whoever that is! Any more thoughts on the specialty restaurants...?
Old April 21st, 2004, 08:28 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

I can only hope u are mistaken 'Big Apple'! For AR - sorry if I offended I overreacted - u are correct - we were not dicussing the main topic but we were discussing cruising and this site does not specify that one has to stay on the topic does it - hasn't been my experience anywhere else on here - plse checkout the one where a lady has been ill...for example - not about cruising at all but no one seems to mind that? Right 'hcat 'and I do have a question re: specialty restaurants - anyone care to comment on the one they consider the best they have tried to date and why? Happy cruisin'!
Old April 21st, 2004, 09:06 PM
First Mate

I would definately try the Celebrity's specialty restaurants, at least once. The food and service is wonderful. If you feel it's too long, go with friends and you wont' be watching the clock.

The only other one I've been to is Portofino's on RCL's ships and enjoyed it as well.

I think it's worth any amount they charge. I live in Miami and lived in NYC and I've spent more than $100 a person on a mediocre dinner at the least and have walked out very disappointed and upset that a meal cost that much and it was nothing to rave about.

I agree though for someone who does not like or are used to gourmet food, don't bother going to the specialty restaurants, you will not enjoy it.

Even though I usually skip at least two of the courses, I always have room for the deserts.

I'm glad they offer them on the ships, it's a chance to dine in a 5-star restaurant for the small amount that they charge.

Now St. Thomas and jewelry....that's my biggest expeditures.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 02:30 PM
Big Apple

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SPECIALTY RESTAURANT FEE

Hi cruizecrazy,My favorite is the Olympic on theMillennium where the food is absolutely outstanding and the service is the best I have ever had on some 30 cruises.The decor is magniicant as most of the wood has come from the Olympic which was the sister ship to the Titanic.I have heardmany cruisers indicate they would like to eat every meal here.In several cruise magazines this rest .has also been picked #1 in the alternative field.Also the women are impressed by the waiters who are most attentive and definitely serve with a real European flair.My second favorite ,eaten twice there,is Carnaval Spirit where you have your own band for dancing during dinner.One time had Joe,s Stone Crabs vfrom Miami which was a real treat.Dining hear is a two story arrangement with views of the ocean.Third choice would be the Pinnacle on the Vollendam however they needto upscale the service level however food excellent featuring food from the northwest.
Old April 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM
First Mate

What coupon and where did you get it?
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:02 PM
Passenger

We have enjoyed the Normandie restaurant on the Summit twice in the last year, and leave on Friday for the Panama Canal cruise. I have reserved the Normandie again, and it is well worth the 30.00 fee. The service and food are both excellent. Also if you are a captains club member you should receive a coupon for 25.00 off.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:12 PM
hcat

The only coupon I know of was out last yr & was for cruises booked before Jan 1st. It was basically a two'fer. One pays 25 & one does not
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:40 PM
First Mate

I didn't bother with that coupon, as I was one of the few not impressed with the specialty restaurant but I did take their $250 coupon off of the cruise we get on this Saturday. (G)
Frank-in-CA