Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 2nd, 2004, 12:00 AM
Linda Bryan

Default Millie-Transatlantic 11/04

Hello Cruisemates,

My husband, Bob and I are booked on the Transatlantic cruise - Millennium - which sails from Barcelona on Nov.7, 2004. Anyone else going??? Please write us! We are on the Panorama deck (8086) Any comments on that cabin location????

This is our first cruise on Celebrity and our first transatlantic cruise, although we have sailed from NY to Buenos Aires many times.

We are booked in the main dining room for the late seating. Is it necessary to take formal wear, tuxedos, etc. I'm getting mixed signals. I'm planning to take formal wear unless I hear otherwise.

Does anyone know if we can sign up for the Olympic before we board if we are not concierge class?

Thanks for responding!
Linda
Sponsored Links
Old April 7th, 2004, 04:44 AM
LisiaMc

Default Re: Millie-Transatlantic 11/04

Hi Linda,

My husband Dave and I are on your cruise. It's our fifth cruise with Celebrity, but our first Transatlantic. Your cabin location sounds good - between two decks of passenger cabins, so unlikely to be noisy. We tried Concierge Class last year and decided we had to do it again.

As far as formalwear, many men wear a dark suit instead of a tux, although it's been about 50/50 on our last two cruises (10-day and 11-day). Some women wear evening gowns, some wear cocktail dresses, some wear fancy trousers or skirts with glittery tops. I always like the way my husband looks in a tux, and besides, if he rents one, it's one less thing to pack!

If you are a Captain's Club member, you can book the Olympic restaurant before you cruise - but you said this is your first cruise with Celebrity, so I guess you won't be Captain's Club members yet. Otherwise, you can do it as soon as you board - it's not usually a problem. The casual nights seem to be the least popular because many people don't want to dress up for the Olympic if they weren't going to have to dress up anyway. (Does that make any sense?) Also if you choose a time that's somewhat earlier or later than prime dinner time (i.e. before seven or after eight-thirty), they are likely to have room for you.

It seems like November is a long way off, but I'm excited already!

Enjoy your cruise

Lisa
Old April 8th, 2004, 11:33 PM
Linda Bryan

Default Re: Re: Millie-Transatlantic 11/04

Hi Lisa,

Thanks so much for responding!!! I'm so excited to know someone else who will be going on the cruise! We had already assumed that we'd rent a tuxedo for Bob, so you confirmed it. Good idea about going on an otherwise casual night to the Olympic. We'll see what the availability is when we board.

Are you doing any touring in Europe before the cruise? We are spending 3 weeks in Spain before we get on the ship. Should be great fun.

Any suggestions you would like to pass on to us would be appreciated. These message boards are great for sharing!

What do you think the age spread of the people on the cruise will be? We are in our mid-50 and are assuming we will be among others of the same age or even older.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Linda
Old April 11th, 2004, 04:28 PM
lisiamc

Hi Linda,

We're flying to Barcelona the day before the cruise, so we'll be able to do a little bit of preliminary sightseeing, but not much.

I'm American, and my husband is English, and we live in the UK. We're late 40s (me)/early 50s (him), so in the same age group as you. I think the average age on a 14 day cruise is a bit older than normal, as retired people have more time to take longer cruises. On our last two cruises we found a pretty good mix of ages, with lots of couples in their 30s 40s and 50s as well as many who were older.

We really like that "nothing to do and all day to do it" relaxed feel of sea days, so we're looking forward to the 5 sea days in a row. We've only cruised in the Caribbean so far, so the European start and the transatlantic middle will be something new for us.

There is quite a group of people going on this cruise who have a thread going on another message board. If you would like to email me (L56mac@hotmail.com), I can send you a link to that thread. It doesn't seem quite right to post it here, since it's for a different board!

Lisa
Old April 12th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Cruise Maniac

If you plan on doing touring on your own, I suggest you get a ticket for the tourist bus. Last fall the tickets were $14 Euros per person for 1 day and $19 Euros pp for 2 days. There are two routes and you can get on and off at different stops. They also give you a coupon booklet that has discounted admissions to various sights. You can change buses between the routes at two or three locations.
Old April 13th, 2004, 04:32 AM
LisiaMc

Default Re: Re: Re: Millie-Transatlantic 11/04

Thanks for the good idea! I'll check that out. We want to do something easy but interesting before we sail, and that sounds perfect.

Lisa
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have done the fall Millie trans in 01 and 03.
We found that the transatlantic was a little dressier at dinner than a Caribbean cruise - especially late seating. At late seating, there seemed to be more men wearing tuxes than suits.
On formal nights, all the gentlemen at our table (table for 12) wore tuxes. On informal nights, several men at the table wore suits and ties and several men wore sports jackets on casual nights.
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Dick Guiltinan

We sailed on the 2003 equivalent of your planned cruise. It was a winner all the way. We stopped at Gibralter, Madeira, St. Martin and St. Thomas and arrived at Fort Lauderdale.
As I recall, there were three formal nights, three semi-formal and the rest casual. We dressed for the formal nights and it seemed that about everyone else did also. We also used the late seating and were happy that we had. We were fortunate to be part of a very nice table and conversations were a lot of fun.
Old April 17th, 2004, 09:38 AM
RitaL

Can people here tell me how the air tickets work and how much is it when i am not buying roundtrip. i have been checking the Med route very tempting to try but never been Spain, don't know about the airports in Barcelona or other oversea countries. i will prefer to buy the air ticket myself. Please explain to me?!

Thanks

RitaL
Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

We actually found the air to be cheaper from the cruiseline for our transatlantics in 01 and 03. Our TA books us with the air, then she starts looking for a better deal. If she finds it, she'll cancel our air with the cruiseline. It can be cancelled without penalty up until the final payment.
And watch to see if the cruiseline runs an air special. For the 03 Millie crossing, Celebrity had a $200 air special for a while. When we originally booked our cruise, the air was $699 per person. Our TA got us the reduced air. For that price we were able to ignore our flight home and take a cheap one from Ft. Myers post cruise after visiting our son and family. We figured the one way to Barcelona was enough value for the $200 pp.
Old April 22nd, 2004, 06:21 PM
RitaL

Daysatsea-- Thank you for your info!