Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 5th, 2004, 04:32 PM
NewbintoCruising

Default Tipping at the children's program?

We are going to take our first cruise this summer and bringing our two kids. I was reading this on the Celebrity website.

"The Children's Playroom / Fun Factory is open daily from 9:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M., 2:00 P.M. - 5:00 P.M., and 7:30 P.M. - 10:00 P.M. For a nominal fee of $6.00 per hour per child, children ages 3-12 years old can participate in the Afternoon Party from 12:00 P.M. - 2:00 P.M. on port days and/or the evening Slumber Party from 10:00 P.M. - 1:00 A.M. daily."

Then I was reading some posts where people have tipped the counselors? Is this normal? When we use babysitters at home, we pay a set fee and never think of tipping beyond that.

I am not sure what is expected when you are already paying a fee to use the program itself.
Sponsored Links
Old April 5th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Tipping at the children's program?

I will be going on my 6th cruise this summer and I have never heard of people tipping the counselors. They do work hard, and I know they appreciate a heartfelt "thank you" but I have never heard of anyone tipping them. Happy cruising!
Old April 5th, 2004, 08:14 PM
hcat

where I come from tipping is a fact of life. We paid the extra fee for Normandie Specialty Rest & also tipped there.....I guess it depends on your point of view but most cruise personnel make very little money & a heartfelt thanks does not go very far towards bills Just MHO.
Old April 11th, 2004, 01:37 PM
BMK

Just returned from the constellation and it amazes me that there are no guidelines for tipping the counselors. First, the youth program on Celebrity is fabulous my five year old had the time of her life. The counselors were wonderful and took amazing care diof her!! Everyday was a different theme, pirates, aliens, doggies, etc..I feel they provided a service and should most definitely be rewarded. I most certainly tipped the counselors as I have in every cruise in the past. I really think the cruie lines should set guidelines for this.
Old April 11th, 2004, 03:43 PM
First Mate

I asked about this when we took the grandkids and our kids on a Princess cruise and was told that these counselors were cruise staff and that one doesn't tip the cruise staff. That's why there are no guidelines. And yes, they do a good job but so do the Cruise Director and his staff.
Frank-in-CA