Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 7th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Celia

Default infinity

I unfortunately sailed on the Infinity from Santiago, Chile on March 14, 2004. There was only one propulsion engine and we were told we could not stop at the Port in Ecuado because it could not go fast enough to get there. We did 17 knots & it would take 22. The trip was miserable!! The ship list all of the way, you walked on board like you had had too much to drink. During the night, it sound like a sledgehamer being hit on the side of the ship time after time again. One night it was so rocky, the small bottles in the mini-bar shook, making a swishing noise, making sleeping very hard. We were at sea 10 of the 14 days we were on board. All we could see was the sea, not even a bird. Although they has scheduled events during the day, not much interested us. Oh, we could have take napkin folding or trivia. It, as I have said, was a miserable trip. The ship is beautiful, food good, people interesting. Many old people with canes, scotters, walkers. Everybody on board complaining, never will they take a Celebrity ship again. We were refunded $75. which I understood was the port tax we had already paid. This was my first and last trip on Celebrity. Hopefully eveyone who said they would, wrote to Celebrity about the condition of the cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:55 AM
gann

Default Re: infinity

Celia,
We were on the same cruise and I thought it was great and the seas were very kind to us. Never noticed a list on the ship. I have booked the Infinity again for Feb. of 2005 and will go back to SA and go around the Cape. Sorry you didn't enjoy the cruise, but many did and although there were people that were unhappy many that we talked to felt that they did what they could to make the cruise enjoyable.
Don
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Unfortunately, things happen. I was on the Millennium when it had trouble with the propulsion system and we limped into Alexandria, Egypt late. They had someone there to fix it, but we went in on only arzipod or whatever they call them. I just wish Celebrity would figure out a way to replace or permanently fix this recurring problem.

I am sure that the crew did what they could to accommodate the passengers and I would suspect that the listing was more from the seas.

Some people would not be happy, no matter what was done for them. Be thankful that you were able to take a vacation.

Have a cabin on hold for the Infinity on 11/25 from Honolulu to Ensenada.
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Celia: I wish you wouldn't completely discard Celebrity as a choice for cruising. I've sailed on them 3 times and would go back in a heartbeat. Are you saying you wouldn't cruise on them again because this one ship had problems?

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:26 PM
hcat

We just had a great 10 day cuise on Summit& have bookngs ahead on Constellation and Brilliance (Royal).With with the recurring problems on the M class ships do I really want to take a chance on a big cruise? I am vacillating between Celeb, Royal & Princess to Hawaii for a future trip..I believe Celeb is a cut above Royal from food, ambiance--even the pool lounges...but like Royal ship layout & decor better. Would hate to plan such a big trip to have it marred by this very real potential problem. We will only go to Hawaii once in a lifetime! Any thoughts???
Old April 8th, 2004, 04:17 PM
First Mate

For those who are considering never sailing Celebrity again, check the NCL boards about the problems some of their ships have had lately. Just seems to be a trend. Whether the lines are not keeping their ships in good mechanical condition or just luck many seem to be having problems. I certainly wouldn't let one bad experience color my view forever.

NMNita
Old April 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM
hcat

I agree but the M class ships have had this recurring problem from the start & that increases the odds of a malfunction.. After our next on Constellation, we will stick with non M class for awhile--probably will be on Royal which my husb prefers anyhow. The ships are nicer , brighter etc.but overall Celeb cruise experience is much better--Just don't want to chance a breakdown on a major vacation! Too much else can go wrong without this type of situation. It's a hard decision!
Old April 17th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Rick Talcott

My wife & I were on the INfinity Feb 29 to March 14 from Buenos Aires to Santiago when the starbord thruster bearing broke. We lost our stop at the Falkaland Islands. I was incensed when Celebrity gave us $150 per cabin plus a free drink after canceling the Falkland Islands stop on our cruise. To me, that was woefully inadequate. I noticed, however, that the passengers on the Norwegian Dream only got $50 for two missed ports. Maybe I shouldn't have been so angry.

What is a missed port actually worth to you all? On our cruise, we passengers estimated that the savings on port charges at Port Stanley and the gas savings due to the shorter distance to travel at a reduced speed probably equaled the $150 "good will" gesture that Celebrity made. To us, we lost one sixth of our ports of call, and, viewed from another perspective, for us to recreate the 6 hours in Port Stanley would require 5 days of our time -- 4 flying and 1 visiting -- plus the additional air fare. That was definitely a loss of more than $150 per cabin plus a free drink.

To me, it makes a difference whether the problem is due to weather or due to a mechanical problem. I don't expect Celebrity to guarantee the weather, but I do expect them to put seaworthy ships afloat and to make it up to the customers when one of their ships suffers a mechanical malfunction.

I was reading in Cruise News Daily that the Norwegian Star story suffered the same sort of breakdown, and that left me wondering:

1. Are the thrusters safe?
2. Are the thrusters reliable?
3. Is the maintenance routine for the thrusters adequate?

Our captain on the Infinity knew enough to cut back to 18 knots as di dthe Norwegian Star. That would seem to me that there is a protocol for thruster bearing malfunctions. That raises the interesting questions of

4. What is the actual problem?
5. How big is the problem? and
6. How long has this problem been around?
7. Are the passengers getting screwed?

The last question is a bit pejorative in the phrasing, but it is an honest question none the less. I was left wondering if Celebrity was gambling on problematic technology that could have put passengers at risk. They certainly had a financial incentive to gamble in that the downside of the gamble -- this time, anyway -- simply cost them the money that they saved in port charges and fuel savings. The risks that wasn't factored in were 1) the irritation of the passengers who were subjected to the gamble, and 2) what would have happened if we had had horrible weather at Cape Horn and need that missing power to maintain the ship?

Rick
Old April 17th, 2004, 04:13 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: infinity

Rick, all your points are very good. As to question #6 ... the answer is that the Infinity has had problems with the propulsion system since the 1st day it was launched.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:55 PM
linda g

Celia,
Don't judge a cruiseline based on one cruise; things can happen that are beyond the ship's control. We went to Alaska on the Infinity last September and had a wondertul time. Besides seeing the wonders of Alaska, listening to the lecturer aboard ship when it was not in a port, we had the most wonder table that we could have ever sat at. One of the couples, after hearing about the hurricane that had hit the Tidewater area of Virginia, said that we could stay at their home in Vancouver if we had trouble flying back to Virginia. A week before, we were total strangers and now we have become lifelong friends. They even walked to the area on the ship where we were told to wait for departure, just to say "good by".
Celebrity is known for their excellent food and the quality of the lecture's given aboard the ship. I learned so much about the history of Alaska just by attending the four part lecture series. With Celebrity you get a great deal on price and don't have to pay a king's randsom to go on Crystal, Silver Sea, Radisson, Oceania, or the Yachts of Seabourn.
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:26 AM
ljones

Celebrity has sued the maker of the propulsion system used by the "M" class ships for $300 million (?). It is also, as I understand it, the same system NCL purchased (i.e. the Star problems). I am not sure which or how many of the NCL ships purchased this same system or if any other cruise lines also purchased it. It was supposedly new & innovative!
Old April 25th, 2004, 04:30 PM
krackleback

Default Re: Re: infinity

Booked on Infinity 10/7/04 same itenary. Wondered if you'd like any information on how it went for us.
This is our fourth cruise, third with Celebrity and haven't had a bad experience with Celebrity or the Infinity.
If you get a chance, try the U.S.S. United States.......great experinence and we plan on enjoying it again in October.
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:00 AM
LovetheSea

When we were on the Mercury once on an E. Caribbean cruise, we had engine problems. We missed the private island , got into Nassau late, and they chaged Tortuga for St. Thomas. We only got $50.00! No free drink.