Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 20th, 2004, 03:14 PM
First Mate

Default HONOLULU - Where to Eat-Dine?

Spending time in Honolulu pre & post cruise - any suggestions on where to eat-dine? Appreciate reading about your recommendations and experiences.. Thanks & happy cruisin'!
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: HONOLULU - Where to Eat-Dine?

Papa and Gram have two places we like. First is located in the New Otani Beach Resort
and is called the Hau Tree Lanai. The hotel is along Waikaki Beach, first hotel past the Honolulu Zoo as you walk towards Diamond Head . Reasonable prices(for Honolulu), romantic setting, good food, drop dead sunset views. All under a ntural canopy of Hau Trees and right along the beach.
Second is on the east coast (a nice ride). Crouching Lion. Located at the site of the Crouching Lion rock formation and right along the coast road on the easyt shore of Oahu. Food is inexpensive (again for Oahu) seating is in very romantic high back cane chairs either indoors or on the patio. Good place for lunch as well if you are out and about driving around the island. Note portions on appetizers are HUGE. Order one to split.
Suggest you make resrvations at either place.
Old April 20th, 2004, 07:38 PM
Admiral

We adore "Keo's Thai Cuisine" on Kapahulu. It is an incredible restaurant with the best Thai food I have ever experienced anywhere. Also we have seen a few celebrities there as well. (Richard Chamberlain, Dolly Parton, Carol Burnett as examples.) Every table has a huge bouquet of orchids. The service is amazing as is every aspect of the dining experience. They have an excellent Thai cookbook too if you are into preparing gourmet foods at home.It is somewhat expensive for Thai food at this restaurant but not at all outrageous for Hawaii. Our favorite things are "Evil Jungle Prince," the crab claws and the Mango Daquiris.

The brunch at the Halekalani is outstanding as well on Sundays.

The sunset sail on the Nahoku Catameran is very fun (and not expensive) and they have great inexpensive Maitais available during the sailing. You can catch it just outside the Sheraton Moana Surfrider, just down from the Royal Hawaiian. The views of Waikiki and the sunset are amazing each night.

The Moana and the Royal Hawaiian hotels are a must for beachside cocktails as well.

I agree that the Hau Tree is great, good breakfasts there too!

Post Edited (04-30-04 18:16)
Old April 21st, 2004, 05:05 AM
First Mate

Hi PapaBill & Chuck Palm - can't thank you enough for taking your valuable time to answer my question - great advice & much appreciated. Happy cruisin' to u both...
Old April 21st, 2004, 07:06 PM
Admiral

I forgot to mention "Eggs n' Things." This is a great funky hole-in-the-wall breakfast place with super omelettes and such. This restaurant is anything but corporate. Just well prepared simply good food.

Post Edited (04-21-04 20:57)
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:46 PM
Admiral

The Halikalani is also the best ocean side place for a Happy Hour Sunset Drink. Don't miss it! For other up to date suggestions, pick up a Frommer's Hawaii on $75 a day travel guide. The suggestions for dining, tours, places that you must see while on each island are great!. Don't hesitate to rent a car on Kauai and Maui.
Bon voyage
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:51 PM
Cyndi Wagner

Default Re: Re: HONOLULU - Where to Eat-Dine?

Another good idea is to buy an Entertainment book for Hawaii for $10 at www.entertainment.com.

We did this last year for a trip to Hawaii and saved lots on dining and entertainment. At the end of our trip we just left in our hotel room for the next guest or the maid to enjoy.

Happy Sailing
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:04 PM
AR

Get in your rental car and go out the Nimitz Highway to #580:

Sam Choy's Breakfast, Lunch and Crab.

Take it to the bank.
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:09 PM
bmct

If you are there on Sunday, definitely do the Brunch at Halekulani, Orchids Restaurant.

We ate at the House Without a Key ( more casual at Halekulani ) two nights, and felt it was well worth the price.

Enjoy!
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Ron Case

Sam Choys is Great
Eggs & Things on McCully is GREAT order the blackened fish for breakfast, trust me
Dukes on the beach on waikiki is also good.
Old May 1st, 2004, 01:53 PM
Ron Case

Old May 1st, 2004, 08:41 PM
First Mate

Oh WOW - wonderful response to my query - can't thank you all enough!! Plse keep suggestions comin' - we'll be there a long while & I don't cook on holiday as I used to do part time caterering& luv tasting others creations (besides I'm getting a bit lazy in my old age too)..Happy cruisin'!!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:14 AM
Admiral

If you do a Google search for:

Honolulu . Citysearch. com

this is a very good website that has reviews & customer ratings and latest news on many fine restaurants.I hope that helps.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
SLS

Kobe Japanese Steak house in Waikiki. It's teppanyaki cooking. You sit around a grill with 8 people and watch the chef prepare the meal. It is the fairly inexpensive for Waikiki. Be sure to get the "This Week in Oahu" booklet it can be found at the airport and stands along the sidewalks and look through the coupons. There is another booklet and a 101 things to do on Oahu all have coupons.

sls