Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 29th, 2004, 10:19 PM
kubies

Default Horizon Questions

Need to know about Horizon. Several cruises on Holland America and Princess, but want to try Celebrity and Horizon has a Caribbean cruise next March that fits in with my work schedule. I know it is the oldest ship in the fleet, but am willing to "stretch" on this one. Usually get a cabin with a veranda, would a suite suffice? Is all the orange decor going to give me a migrane? Thanks for any insights.
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2004, 07:32 AM
seabee

Default Re: Horizon Questions

I sailed the 10 Horizon itinerary this March. As a die hard Celebrity fan I was a little concerned about the smaller, older ship. In a word, it was wonderful. Best cruise so far and the itinerary was fantastic! there is not as much glitz and activity as on the larger ship but the crew is mcuh more friendly. Don't know how they'll be next year. Now, about the verandas...Horizon goes in for a refit this year and will have balconies added to most rooms on Deck 10. They had a proto-type already on the ship when we went. I don't know if I'd choose Horizon as an entry into Celebrity...but why not?
Old April 30th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Admiral

Horizon was my entry into Celebrity and I was quite pleased. Wonderful ship, has just enough of everything without feeling like a Las Vegas Hotel. Good food, good service at every level and a nice manageble sized ship. Plenty of quiet areas on stern decks that will make up for no balconey, nice pool area with plenty of sun and shade available.
Several nice bars and lounges. Don't let the age bother you, this is a well maintained ship.
Old April 30th, 2004, 09:01 AM
Passenger

Send a message via ICQ to gbb0131 Send a message via AIM to gbb0131 Send a message via Yahoo to gbb0131

The Zenith & Horizon were my first 4 cruises with Celebrity and hoping to do the 11 day in January on the Horizon. I love the smaller ship as they are much easier to get around.

Greg

Old April 30th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Beginner

I took my very first cruise on Horizon in January and thought it was wonderful. I have since cruisedon Infinity, and while the Infinity was a newer ship I would not hesitate to cruise on Horizon again. Enjoy!
Old May 1st, 2004, 08:37 PM
linda g

I was glad to hear the wonderful revues about the Horizon; we are booked on the Horizon, bound for Bermuda, on October 2nd. As with any ship, the most important things to me are the service, food, and the excitement of meeting new people. I have found that most cruisers tend to be friendly people who enjoy meeting fellow cruisers from all over the world!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:55 AM
Lee and Kelli

HI........ This will also be our first time w/Celebrity. We are doing the Horizon
on 9/5/04 on a six night cruise to Bermuda. We were alittle concerned with the
age and size of the ship but the reviews sure back up what is being said about
how well maintained she is. I think adding balconies to the Horizon will make
her even a more attractive smaller ship?? We hope more people will be going
on the 9/5/04 Bermuda cruise????????? Take care; Lee and Kelli
Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:07 PM
DICK STEIN

Dear Kubie: I am sailing on the Horizon in September for the second time. In October it goes into dry dock for 5 weeks. Verandas will be added to the Alantic deck were the CC cabins and suites are. Expect to pay $300 more for one of these verandas next year than you do on the other line you have traveled as they will have suite amenities. It is a nice size ship, but lacks many of the nice things found in newer ship. This was Celebrity's first new ship and she is showing her age.

on the Horizon
Old May 3rd, 2004, 04:20 PM
ljones

Does the Horizon have a movie theater available or just room movies? Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 07:03 PM
Beginner

The Horizon was great! Just got back From Bermuda. No complaints at all... Well seven days was not long enough!

Old May 4th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

I am heading out on the Horizon next week. I will let you all know about my trip as well, with a ton of pictures available to anyone who wants to see them.

Looking forward to my next cruise.... 6/2005
Old May 4th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Horizon Questions

Horizon does not have a seperate theatre for movies. They show them in the main theatre.
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:17 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Re: Horizon Questions

Don't rely on balconies being placed on the Horizon, these are at this point only rumors as there has been no official statement from Celebrity. I realize and have seen picutures of the test balcony and have heard all the stories but at this point it is only rumors. The ship is only scheduled for a 12 day drydock in November, judge for yourselves whether everything that has been rumored can actually be accomplished.

Don
Old May 6th, 2004, 10:54 PM
kubies

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Horizon Questions

Thanks to all of you. Will be booking the cruise on the Horizon withing the next few days with our TA (still feel more comfortale with a "bricks and morter" TA than a cyber TA. All anxieties have been addressed. Even if the balconies do not materialize, we will adapt.
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Dave K

Wow looks like I am just missing you all, this is my 3rd venture on Celebrity as I am on the 8 nighter from Oct. 9-17th from Norfolk to Bermuda...

Great Experiences on Galaxy and Century, looking forward to Horizon!!
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:35 PM
First Mate

My advice, do not book any rooms under the kitchen galley, it is very noisy in the middle of the night and the aft cabins on the lower decks are noisy when pulling into port.

I made that mistake on my Horizon cruise to Bermuda and would not make that mistake again.

Happy Cruising.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 12:02 PM
Lj

Cruz Crazy -

Where is the kitchen located? I have cabin #5077 booked.
Old May 24th, 2004, 02:01 PM
Yeoman

Horizon is a great smaller ship. In reference to the orange decor, we had blue so maybe you will get lucky. We were on the 10th floor. Food was very good. Best of the 3 cruises we have been on. There is no movie theatre but they show movies in the show lounge. Only problem here was that you needed a parka to stay very long. This place was freezing. We actually saw one lady that went and got her bedspread to wrap up in. Truthfully, all the public areas were very cool. I was glad I took some long sleeve shirts. Have a great time. The cruise bug is about to hit again. I need to book one soon.
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:50 AM
Allan Mac

Default Re: Re: Horizon Questions

My wife and I are flying over from UK for New Year cruise on Horizon and have never been on a Celebrity ship, so its a bit of unknown! We've just booked an outside stateroom. Is it ok?
Also, how formal are the evenings/dinners etc?

Al