Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 30th, 2004, 12:30 PM
pick

Default Concierge Class

We are booked on the Infinity concierge class in August. Do you really get priority boarding and disembarking? How about priority dining and spa reservations? Do they bring hors d'oevres each afternoon? Choice of pillow? Binoculars? Just wondering if they provide all they say for this class. Does shower have curtain or doors?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old April 30th, 2004, 04:18 PM
jamiegunter

Default Re: Concierge Class

We just came back from Century and had a concierge class room.
For the Priority getting on ship, I didnt see it. There was no sign for Concierge
class. The lines werent long, and I stepped over to the captains club sign and
asked about it. She acted like there wasnt any special for it, but she checked us
in. So if the lines were long I guess we would have had to wait. They called you off
by luggage tag colors, we were the forth group or so to get off I think. Never used the spa so I am not sure about the priority appt thing, we were happy with table in dining room so didnt need to use that either.
They bring a small plate of stuff each day about 4:30 or 5:00, I usually couldnt
figure out what the heck they were though
They do have the choice of pillows, which was nice and I did use that.
They also did have binoculars and a umbrella in the room. It was a big umbrella though, I was thinking it would be travel size.
Shower had curtain. Nice towels and a bath rug. We also had a bottle of champayne in room. The room looked no different from the others, I thought it would be decorated different. The picture they provide on the internet did not look like our room.

We didnt feel it was worth the extra $200 for the both of us, and probally wont do Celebrity again. We werent real impressed with them, but did enjoy our cruise.
Hopefully it will be nicer on the Infinity, I guess every ship may be different. We didnt
have a balcony on the Century, I think all the other ships concierge rooms have balconys.
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:32 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Concierge Class

We have this class on our cruise next week on the Constellation so I'll know if there is any difference. Our room does have a veranda as I think all the concierge rooms on the Millenium class ships have?
Frank-in-CA
Packed and ready to go.
Old April 30th, 2004, 05:34 PM
George in Montreal

Wer just got off the Summit (April 16 ten day southern Caribbean) and had category 1A Concierge Class cabin 9047. While I plan to write a review, here are the answers to your questions. Frankly, our reaction wasn't that different than that of JamieGunter (above).

The sheets and pillow cases are lovely and smooth. The binoculars are 10X cheapies that my wife and I found very hard to focus -- if you want binbcoulars, it's probably better to bring your own.

The hors d'ouvres consist of six little canapes on bread cutouts. Could be a shrmip or melon and prosciuto or peppers and anchovies or caviar.

The embarkation was very fast..took less than a half hour and there were special counters for concierge class. Same with the disembarkation-- we were among the first off the ship at 8:30 am and were at the Fort Lauderdale Airport 45 minutes later -- a record for us.

And no, the cabin isn't appreciably different than any other veranda cabin and the decor is the same. The shower head is great however, and is different. There are also some nice added lotions, shampoo and related stuff.

Is it worth an additional $100 per person or more? I'm not convinced. We thought Celebrity was slipping this year in terms of food and service..after four consecutive annual cruises with Celebrity, we think we may go back to HAL next year.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 05:41 PM
bettylu

We were on the Infinity in Conceirge Class for the South America cruise this past February. The only thing I found annoying was the overhang over the veranda on the Sky Deck - most of our photos have that at some point. The flowers on the cabin were a nice touch, but I didn't feel we had any priority both boarding and leaving the ship. It was a great cruise, however.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 07:29 PM
Admiral

Now you all are making me nervous. I have a Concierge Class cabin booked on the Infinity for Hawaii in November. Love the cabin and location (aft is my favorite spot), but it is $500 per person MORE than a regular balcony.
Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:30 PM
Scott Wilson

We only paid $50.00 each more for the Alaska Inside Passage cruise on Mercury, I felt that it had to be worth that ! :{) Scott
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:56 PM
Brahmama

We had a CC cabin on our September Med cruise on the Millie. And we loved it. It was our 13th cruise, but wasn't jinxed at all!
I loved the bed without the lump in the middle - the linens and pillows were great. We enjoyed the extra large fluffy towels and the upgraded toilitries and heck, even the flowers in the bathroom! The canapes were only offered if you were in your room - as they are perishable and some were better than others. Of course I loved the champagne! On the balcony you have better furniture and a table big enough to eat at. We had breakfast out there almost every day. And the CC breakfast menu is a real plus. Imho.

You know that it's all opinion! and everything is relative. We also had a super cruise and if we hadn't, I might not have enjoyed the CC class quite so much. But bottom line, we are cruising again on a back to back August 26 to Sept 20 and have booked a CC cabin for both legs.

So if you've booked it, quit worrying, and prepare to enjoy yourself! Everything won't be perfect, but you'll have some extra surprises too.

Happy travels,
Carol
Old June 3rd, 2004, 03:13 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Concierge Class Disappts

We just got off the Infinity on May 31 2004, where we booked the Concierge Class. As the other writer noted, the Concierge Class for about $400 a room entitles you to little service of substance, that we found no one at Infinity offered without prompting (right down to the flowers) In fact, we literally had to hunt around for upper level staff that had any knowledge about the "Concierge Class" and all the services that were promised and we paid for. You will learn quick from customer service reps that "Concierge Class" is not considered service as the name implies but "amenities" (like those "special" faded color towels they change out each day for you and the umbrella in the closet, or the VCR that was suppose to be in our room).

It took so much pleasure out of our trip, sadly. On top of this on the ninth floor, where a lot of these "Concerge Class" amenities were supposed to be enjoyed, the balcony views were so obstructed by an overhang that is so far out there (10- 20 feet, maybe more?) that all the joy of having an outside stateroom was ruined. I don't know what to tell you about this. We asked Celebrity, double checked with our travel agent , before we finalized our booking about this overhang issue we read about on the internet and were told our room did not have one.. No so. Most if not all of the outside rooms off the sides have what we now have come to believe is a "fatal design flaw" of the ship. The overhang above the ninth floor is
h u g e! Don't let anyone lead you astray on this. Seeing stars nearly impossible, since your view is basically limited to direcly ahead ( looking towards the horizon) and the support beams for the overhang are also huge and in the normal sight lines.

The term "Concierge" in "Concierge Class" is used for marketing only. You will sadly learn that the Concierge service you thought you were getting (like all the cruise lines offer and provide as advertise) is not covered in the "fine print" of your contract. That Concierge button on the phone that you might press thinking someone will on the other side never got picked up on our trip. All we needed was someone to assist us find a phone number, if not that , how about access to the yellow pages. When we finally found someone behind the desk label "Concierge", he suggested once we got of the Island we try to locate a phone booth, maybe the booth will have a phone book. Given the quality of his service, and our shock, we confirmed he in fact was the "Concierge". We suggested that the computer on this desk might be used to access the internet to assist us. That is how the trip went.

Disappointed, think you were mislead, don't expect Celebrity's customer service to do anythiing about " your obvious misunderstanding" about the level of service you can expect from Celebrity. Our conversation after the cruise with Celebrity's Customer Service started with, 'you are misstated, you did not pay for Concierge Class service.", adding insult to injury. Even after I proved to them we had, their attitude was: f you got those colored "towels" the fruit bowl (the recycled bruised fruit you did not eat, re-delivered to you room daily), access to pillows, the initial bottle of champagne in the room, etc. you got what your $400 paid for, you paid for Concierge "amenities not Conciege service.

We manage to have a nice vacation in spite of Celebrity's customer relations..

Having cruised many lines many times before we had realistic expectations. But if you have never sailed before and buy into the hype , the marketing currently being broadcasted over the airways you are going to be grossly disappointed. Learn from our disappointments and mistakes with Celebrity. We may have done more about getting specifics in writing about how those those "Concierge" class services for $400 dollars.werre to be carried out and much more importantly how large, exactly, the overhang over the balconies were. There is nothing like the pleasure of a having a balcony on a ship. What a huge disappointment the Infinity was for us.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 03:51 PM
First Mate

We just returned from the Constellation's Baltic cruise that ended on May 22nd. My comments agree and disagree with what has been previously mentioned. I think one needs to evaluate the various factors and determine whether they suit them or not.

I am not a sun worshipper, so I liked the large overhang on the Sky deck that kept me in the shade. Yes, it did appear in some of my photos but that is easily removed with cropping if one uses a digital camera. It was very convenient to the restaurant on the Lido deck. We were in 9099 so we also were not far from the elevator.

The towels we had were not soft and fluffy. They were stiff and some were stained, like spotted with bleach. They did change the colors of the towels every so many days which was a nice touch. They did not seem oversized. They provided a beach towel that one could purchase for $29 that was really what I call oversized. It was a very nice towel with Celebrity printing that would be nice to own but not for that price.

The flowers seem to grow each day. They started out with a few and added to them until the holder was full - another nice touch. There was also a flower in the bathroom. The shower was a nice size but nothing special. It had the plastic curtain that likes to stick to you. The shower head was nice but they should have that in every cabin not just CC's. I didn't see anything special in the robes over what they furnish in the regular cabins. I liked the shampoo and such being in bottles. I don't see the big deal about having a duvet - whatever that is.

The Concierge boarding area at Dover is beyond a set of doors so that one does not see it until they have already checked in elsewhere. I experienced no priorities in disembarking at any time. I don't know what their priority dining, priority embarkation and by invitation only means as I don't recall any of that happening.

Those 6 little canape's delivered daily I could do without. One had some kind of cheese that stunk terribly and we quickly recovered the plastic wrap to try and eliminate it.

I can't compare the extra costs because we were looking for a group arrangement and stumbled across a special that was better on an individual basis than the group pricing.

We did use the pillow menu but not the oversized umbrella that was in the room. They also provided two smaller umbrellas for use only, if you wanted to keep them, there was a fee. As someone else said, the binoculars are substandard. In fact, ours were defective and we had to have them replaced. But even the replacements weren't very useful.

The champagne in the room is a "welcome only" item. It wouldn't be refurnished daily. It didn't matter to us anyway as we don't drink other than a sip now and then. Daily fruits are provided to all cabins so I don't know why they list that as a perk. The seats on the veranda had cushions that I don't think they have on the regular cabins.

Still, the Constellation is one of my favorite ships and the service was top notch. The food was quite good with only a few items not to our liking. But I'm sure what I liked others didn't and vice versa. Would I sail Celebrity again - a definite yes if the price and itinerary are right. But I did chose Princess over them for a round trip to Hawaii this December since Princess leaves out of San Pedro and Celebrity buses cruisers all the way to Ensenada. Why subject people to that inconvenience and then charge them for the transfer? It does not compute.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 4th, 2004, 08:30 AM
jamiegunter

Oh ya we never had a VCR either. We wont be cruising Celebrity again. We werent impressed with them at all. We had a concierge class room and we would have rather spent the extra $250 on stuff. I think there website totally misinforms, and if they dont give you what is stated that is wrong. Maybe I will think about reporting it.
Old June 5th, 2004, 05:03 PM
owen

Hello,

Ok all of you complainers........cc class is worth it if you book early.................it is costing us 100 dollars more per person just like it did last year when we booked for the constellation march 13 2004 sailing!..................Put it this way...It has never said vcr?..........thats only in the suites!!!!! ive read all the books and web info so get over yourself!.....secondly ....they will only replace the ruist if you ask this is after so many people complained abut them taking the fruit away each day many said it was waiste so they cant please everyone!!!!!...........also serive on celebrity is still far supperior overall to the other premium lines.....holladn americas? ha as if unless your old they dont think you have money or something im 26 and have my own buisness been on 8 cruises celebrity is overall best value.....................also room serive menu is better!............you watch as all the cruise lines keep bulindg ships and strecthing service and food etc to limit clebrity will styart to shine again!..they are in a transition phase..........entertainment was the best i had ever seen ever!...............and my aunt is in the national ballet of canada ive seen many a show!!!!...........Crique du sole is now teamming uop with them aswell!................................the towels were not fadded that the way eygptian cotten pastel dyes!!!!!.............................also ppeople payinfg 400 dollars for it more then another balcomny it is not worth it?........ours for infinty 2005 is 120 dollars more then the 2c balcony cabin!...........and the sky suite is only 280 dollars more then a 2c?.....................im so tired of everyone comlaining about food service etc and at the same time wnting cheaper cruises!.......................

another note there is a bording line for cc class it is with the suites?.........................Overall celebrity is the only line not cutting corners but rather creating them!!!!!.................................they carry trays ........from buffet to your room if you want!....take luiggae from plane to ship you dont even have to pick it up to take to shuttle............im really tired of all the complaints from cruisers get over it enjoy life esp no offense my dads american but all you americans are sad about brused fruit????................mabe thats beacuse the country growing them was hit by one of your bombs!.....................

seriosuly i love eeryone but celebrity is still overall the best!...tell me if you ate at a differnet resturant each meal dfor 11 days would every menu and meal make you happy and be the best?................................
Old June 5th, 2004, 07:49 PM
hcat

Our friends with us on Summit had a knocking noise from their closet in a regular balcony cabin. After several sleepless nights & unsuccessful efforts by Celeb to fix the problem, they were moved up to a CC room for no extra charge. They loved every minute of it from the robes, nicer TV, services & amenities. They said it was great. Have not yet tried it. I do know that our former cabin 1062 on Mercury has now been made a CC cabin..guess it now comes with all the extra perks! I think that early embarkation & disembarkation would be worth it--if those perks are truly extended.
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Beginner

Owen-

I appreciate your answers but sometimes have trouble reading your posts. Does your computer automatically put in all those periods, or do you do it yourself? It would be much easier to read without.

Also, if you could be more desrciptive in your experiences instead of putting down other people's comments, that would also be more helpful.

Thanks
Old June 6th, 2004, 08:06 PM
jamiegunter

Actually in their 2004 Cruise book, it does state that the CC rooms have VCRs. It is in the description for the CC room on the Century, and there was not a VCR in our room. Not that anyone uses VCRs anymore, they need to upgrade to DVDs
Old June 6th, 2004, 08:08 PM
jamiegunter

Also you do have to pick up your own luggage. They dont do that anymore since Sept 11th. We just got back in April and had to get our own luggage.
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:34 PM
owen

jamie,

I was just on the March 13 2004 sailing of the constellation from San Juan. We checked our luggae in Toronto with The air line, once we arrived in San Jaun we were taken to the shuttle and to the ship we never had to go to luggae area ....our luggae arrived to our room within 2 hours of getting on the ship and it was a full spring break sailing!!!!!

So yes they do collect luggae from the sirline for you!!!....My mother sailed on the infinty in February and they did the same thing she never saw her luggae from the time she checked it with airline in Toronto untill it arrived to her stateroom!!!!!....Furthermore My AUnt and Uncle just sailed on the Summit In alaska leaving from Vancouver and they had the same servie of luggae to stateroom cehcked it with airlne in toronto arrived in vancouver jumped on shuttle without haveing to collect from carosels in airpirt and it arrived to there stateroom!
Old June 7th, 2004, 12:43 AM
Admiral

You guys make me glad I booked a 2-C balcony on the Constellation in November for Thanksgiving. We got a great rate and can now afford our own bottle of bubbly. And we can even choose the brand of champagne.

I can deal with my own suitcases, what the heck...
Old June 7th, 2004, 08:54 AM
owen

They picked up everyones luggae no matter what cat your cabin is
Old June 7th, 2004, 06:23 PM
First Mate

We were on the May 8th sailing of the Constellation and our luggage went from the hotel right to our stateroom on the ship. CC luggage is supposed to be delivered first and one of our bags did arrive right away but the others arrived later.

Our neighbors just came back from an RCCL Caribbean cruise and they checked their luggage in at th pier and RCCL happened to lose one of their bags between the pier and the ship. It never showed up and RCCL only gave them a $50 shipboard credit. They wasted their entire port visit at Key West buying clothes as the bag lost contained all of her clothes.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 7th, 2004, 10:13 PM
First Mate

That's a shame about the bag being lost, and $50.00 will barely cover the cost of a shirt, let alone replace the contents of a piece of lost luggage. One little trick my wife and I use is to cross pack. That is we each put some of our clothes in each piece of luggage, that way if a bag is misplaced neither of us is completely without clothes to wear. Of course if they lose all our luggage this approach wouldn't work.

BTW, I'm curious, is $50.00 the limit of their liability for a piece of lost luggage? You'ld think that the bag alone would have a value in excess of $50.00 ,not to mention the contents.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old June 8th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Admiral

We really enjoyed our concierge class cabin. The canapes were icky, but the rest of the amenities were well worth it, especially the extended room service breakfast menu, binoculars (fun), and the comfy balcony furniture.

Here's a comparison of the balcony furniture in a regular cabin vs. concierge class:

Regular balcony:

Concierge class balcony:

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old June 8th, 2004, 01:06 PM
jamiegunter

Your balcony looked nice We were on the Century, the CC rooms are just ocean view. No balcony. That would have been nice.
Old June 9th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Marytutor

We just returned from the May 22 Baltic on Constellation.

We were lucky in that we were upgraded from a 2A to CC We did not know it until we got to the ship. It was a pleasant surprise. We loved our room and the service that went with it. The canapes were not great, but the thought was nice.

Our attendants were wonderful and went out of their way. I had a medical issue that started the first day and whenever they saw me in the passageways they would ask how I was and remark that they hoped I would enjoy the day.

Our towels were fine and bright. I am not sure how they handle the early departure, but we were sent to the Cinema and we disembarked according to the color of our tags. I do not know if we got earlier notiification over the other ones, but we were on the bus in less than 10 minutes.

We have booked a Med cruise for May 2005, but we did not feel that the $800 additional was worth it. CC class is now all the former 1A staterooms so there are CC rooms on additional floors so that the overhang should not be a problem.

Mary
Old June 9th, 2004, 04:47 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Concierge Class

I don't know what RCCL was evaluating with only $50 in credits. Maybe they thought the bag would show up and this was just for incidental toiletries. Maybe RCCL thought their cruise insurance would cover the loss. But they talked to the head person on board and got no where. I don't know where they've taken this so far though.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 9th, 2004, 04:51 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Concierge Class

Mary:
We were on the cruise right before you and we love the Constellation. Did you have to use the Medical Facility on board? We were surprised at the lack of privacy in their medical center where they ask about your symptoms and take your vitals in the waiting room so everyone else can know about your problems.

I agree, $800 extra is too much for what one gets for Concierge service. Especially since we didn't use many of the amenities.
Frank
Old June 10th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Marytutor

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Concierge Class

Frank,

You and I had corresponded before when I thought that you were on the same cruise and you were very helpful in answering my newbie questions.

Yes, I agree that the lack of privacy in the waiting room was something. They were very helpful although my impression is that they will send you to landside facilities very easily. My condition was that prior to the embarkation we had spent a week in the Cotswolds and I probably had a sinus infection. The first morning on board I woke up with a horrible nose bleed(the room looked like a crime scene). I managed to stop it by packing it and it stayed okay until the morning that we reached Helsink when it started up again and I went to the medical facility. They immediately had the ship's agent take me to a hospital for treatment. Believe it or not, we were back on board in less than an hour.

I was fine during our 11 hour first day tour with Red October and when I went to bed I must have hit the mattress too hard and it started again. At midnight I had to go to the medical facility and they got an ambulance to take me to the international hospital. There was no specialist there so they did medical checks and packed it and made an appointment for later in the day. I received wonderful treatment on both occassions. Getting off the ship the second time was difficult even though the ambulance was waiting. The old system is still in place, no visa, no land. The ambulance rides were like a horror movie in that the lights and sirens were going, but people didnt pay attention. We laugh about it now. Unfortunately we missed our second day tour.

What was the weather like on your cruise? We were blessed by the weather gods.

Mary
Old June 10th, 2004, 03:51 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Concierge Class

I also had a sinus infection on board but nothing like yours. They gave me antibiotics.

The weather gods didn't smile on us as it was cool in most places other than Berlin. We even saw snowflakes in Helsinki. We also had our share of overcast days.

You can see the photos of our trip at: http://photo.epson.com/index.html by entering my email ID: franknca@earthlink.net in the Visit Albums spot and clicking go. Select the 2004 Baltic Cruise for that trip. I also have a separate album of the Constellation from a previous cruise.
Frank
Old June 10th, 2004, 04:20 PM
h

Yup! Celebrity is very good about their service. I have sailed with them many times and have always had a great experience. I am taking my bf on his Celebrity Cruise on the Infinity this month. We too have concierge level with a veranda.

Have fun!