Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 30th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Familiar Face

Default Mercury - boring & stuffy?

I have been reading reviews for hours now and my impression of the Celebrity Mercury is the food and service is good but attitude is stuffy and maybe even boring. We are not cigar - caviar people. We are 60 years old but more conga types. Is there a variety of activities on board or are we expected to read alot? We sail 11/26/04 to the Mexican Riviera and I can't find a similar itinerary on another ship. We also love to dance - is there choices for this as well? Please assure me we won't spend our vacation sleeping. thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 30th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Mercury - boring & stuffy?

There will be lots to do. The Mercury is a very nice ship. I can't say I was bored a minute.
And yes there is plenty of dancing going on.
Old May 31st, 2004, 10:04 AM
ald

Its your cruise You can have fun & good time Thats your choice not anybody else
Old May 31st, 2004, 07:15 PM
hcat

We are mid fifties reggae types & loved Mercury!
Old June 3rd, 2004, 11:03 AM
daffomom

My hubby and I just returned from a 12 day to Alaska on the Mercury..we are in our late 40's & I was a bit worried about the same thing. I knew that the crowd would be older as it was a May cruise and the younger crowd cannot get 12 days to vacation or afford it as easily as the retired population. We had a great time...we are not cigar/caviar people either...more french fries and pizza..which we took advantage of when we needed a snack...

I would call it a bit more "refined"..my kids in their 20's would have been bored maybe..no hairy chest or wet T-shirt contests, no midnight adult only comedians...not as much night life as Carnival...we enjoyed some of the "Name that Tune" contests..the champagne ring toss...some trivia contests..the dress code is more formal...but during the day..it was jeans & sweats..

We had an awesome table for dinner, 12 of us.....mostly people our own age..that really made a big difference..

stuffy has nothing to do with age...you can't imagine what entertainment a few of them gave us the fashion shows were daily!! we met young people in their 70's and old people in their 40's...

we are not dancers, but the opportunity was there I think every day..

Don't worry..you'll be able to find "something" to do..
Old June 8th, 2004, 09:14 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Re: Mercury - boring & stuffy?

Thanks so much for the info - this was more of what I was looking for. I guess I'm a little disappointed but so far everything else sounds really good so we're going to go for it. I agree who you sit with can really make a difference also. We aren't loners so I hope we get some happy people to dine with. Thanks again.