Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2004, 01:02 PM
First Mate

Default TIPPING - Added On?

Does Celebrity add $10 pppd onto your onboard account or is it still the 'tip as u go' routine? Appreciate your reply :0)
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2004, 02:37 PM
First Mate

Default Re: TIPPING - Added On?

When we were on the Constellation last month one had the option to charge the tips to their stateroom account on a $10.50/day/pp recommended rate. One could change that to add more but not to delete or reduce the selected amount if charging. It was optional as still is the old fashioned method of using plain, old, ordinary cash.
Frank-in-CA
Old June 11th, 2004, 03:42 AM
First Mate

Thanks Frank-in-Ca for taking the time to reply - much appreciated. One question and your opinion please - did u feel that was adequate or should u give more and if yes wld u recommend doing it in cash to separate people or just add it to the $10.50?Appreciate your response & happy cruisin' :0)
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:59 AM
big apple

Default Re: Re: TIPPING - Added On?

Hi cruise crazy,Good question and I will give my opinion.I am of the old school and like to present on a personal basis the last niteYou have the suggested amts. and adjust based on above the norm as for any of the services in cabin or restaurant.My wife who has breakfest in cabin will tip in cash each day to that individual.I am not sure am in agreement with the total allocation when tips are added to your charge acct.With all bar bills adding on a 15% tip on an already over priced drink this is adequate.I f the head waiter does somethin special for our tale in the way of a special dessert or appetizer then will also tip a small amt at the last nite.Most of the time cabin steward does not have any special request from us outside of keeping ice in my beer cooler during the day and during cocktail hr. Am sure ther are many who do not tip at all or not even the suggested amt.I could really see this onHolland under the old policy and I can easily see why they changed .At least those who do not tip will have to go to the front desk to remove.Would love to know the average tip received for both waiters and cabin stewards.Email me directly and i will tell you a great fare that just came on line.
Old June 11th, 2004, 02:23 PM
First Mate

I like to be able to charge my tips as I get FF miles for every dollar I spend this way. I added to all but the one person that I feel didn't deserve a tip as they are a supervisor who we never saw, and that was the Assistant Head Housekeeper. I also found out later that the room steward has an assistant that gets a portion of what is given to the room steward. Stapled to the room steward's envelope was the envelope for the assistant head housekeeper.

When one charges, they get a receipt that they can put in the envelopes to give out just like one does with cash. Since I was not able to remove the Assistant Head Housekeeper and still charge, I went along with it as it was only 50 cents per day per person. It was the principle of it. I wrote a note on the voucher that person asking what that person did to deserve a tip and asked why I never saw him or her.

Some people don't like to tip the Assistant Maitre'd for similar reasons but ours was very attentive so we not only tipped but increased his amount too. Service was excellent and if you have the same experience, I'm sure you'll want to add a little more to the suggested amounts also.
Frank
Old June 12th, 2004, 03:09 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: TIPPING - Added On?

Hi Big Apple - I will be leaving the tip on my acct and will give extra to all 'cause, like u, I like to have direct contact with the staff. Always tip anywhere from $2 to $5 depending on what I order from room service as well. Wld love a cheap fare for a change but so sad - no $ left and no time to travel except what we have booked. Ah well think of me for next yr if anything 'yummy' comes up especially for myself for Alaska (u must miss that magnificent place hmmm?)...Appreciate u considering me - very 'decent' of you! Many thanks to all for taking valuable time to reply.. Happy cruisin' all!! :0)
Old June 21st, 2004, 06:46 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Mike J

Just returned from Celebrity Century 7 day Carib. We got a notice mid week telling us what the "recomended" tip level was and advising that if we wished to put it on our account we coud sign a ticket for the "recomended" amount only. In the event we did so, we would receive vouchers to place in the tip envelopes which were distributed on the next to last night out. We had three options:
1. Sign the voucher for the amount the line suggested and put the tip on our shipboard account (ie our credit card for awards points)
2. Leave whatever cash we chose in the envelope for each recipient
3. Leave nothing, or whatever we felt for the individual recipients

In any case, you give (or not) the envelope to each of the recipeints, so it is always between them and you.

Mike J
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:20 PM
DickieD

A 15% charge is added to all drink orders. A service fee of $10.50 per day per person is added to you bill at the end of the cruise only if you agree. In you cabin towards the end of the cruise you are given the opportunity, via a form to fill out, to include the service fee in your bill or add more or give less. What you actually end up giving is up to you.
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:12 AM
omj

Can anyone tell me how it works if you pay your service charge (ie the tips) as part of the overall cost of the cruise . We have just taken that option for the Celeb cruise we are doing starting 1st April, this is the first time we have done tips this way. Previous 3 celeb cruises we did the stuffing the envelope game.
I do not want our waiter etc to think we have given them nothing or only a very mean amount on the basis I will probably give those who give me good service a little extra. Will I get a voucher to give them as seems to be the case if you add it to your shipboard credit?.
A
Old June 22nd, 2004, 02:51 PM
Passenger

omj
When we paid our service charge as part of the overall cost of the cruise, on the last night we had vouchers left in our cabin addressed to each waiter etc. Hope the infrormation helps.
Mich
Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:35 AM
omj

Thanks - that helps a lot - I just worried about how it all worked!!