Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 16th, 2004, 12:35 PM
Admiral

Default Zenith

We've cruised twice on Millennium... how will we find the Zenith in comparison? I know it's smaller, which is fine, but is it in good repair?

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Sponsored Links
Old June 16th, 2004, 03:41 PM
KK5

Default Re: Zenith

The Zenith is smaller, you're right. Although it is not new, it is still in fine shape. Since you have sailed Celebrity before, you know that they would not sail a ship if it was not is near perfect condition. I have sailed twice on the Zenith (among other ships) and will be sailing her again in 17 more days (but who's counting???). I'm not sure when you are sailing, but if you would like I could let you know more about the condition when I return. Also, I believe the Zenith is scheduled for a renovation in the next couple months (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
Old June 16th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

I've heard through the grapevine that the Zenith is to be retrofitted with balconies. When is the question. The Celebrity schedule on their web site shows sailings through next May. I know some individuals will be sailing her in Feb 2005 and were hoping the balconies would be in place.

I can not find anything concerning the retrofit.
”Where is my Diamond” - Princess CruiseMates fun with Y2C and wife
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...iamond2005.cfm

Constellation Sept 7, 2004

CruiseMates cruise Diamond Princess April 9, 2005

Old June 16th, 2004, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Michelle.
Zenith is a much smaller ship as you know. None of the multistoried lobbies, no glass elevators, no thelasotherapy no multi floored dining areas. .
What you do get is the Celebrity experience (service food etc) in a smaller more compact package. Rooms such as the disco and the other lounges become more multi purposed during the day. No balconies at the present time. There is a very nice set of decks in the stern for more quiet lounging as you might do on your own balconey.
I have sailed on both Zenith and her sister ship Horizon and enjoyed them both.
I think you and Mark would enjoy the intimacy of this ship.
Old June 16th, 2004, 06:07 PM
xvickster182x

Zenith July3rd.. should be a great time!
Old June 16th, 2004, 09:25 PM
First Mate

Not sure when you are considering the Zenith but the folllowing article was posted here on Cruisemates Cruise News back on March 19, 2004.

*** Celebrity Cruises is planning to rebuild its mid-sized ships Horizon and Zenith. During extended drydocks, public areas and staterooms will be gutted then rebuilt and redecorated. Work will include the addition of balconies to existing outside staterooms, new staterooms to deck 9, a new alternative restaurant, expanded spa area and enlarged America's Cup Club observation lounge. Horizon is expected to drydock from November 1 to 29 while Zenith will be out of service starting in January 2005.

Glenn

Old June 19th, 2004, 02:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisenut1

Michelle,
When are you going? We are cruising on the Zenith on March 13th, 2005 (along with Jax Guy), come join us, there is a large group of us going, with most of us staying at the Adam's Mark (now the Marriott) before the cruise, so that we can get to know each other.
Would love for you and Mark to join us.

Monarch of the Seas
Carnival Elation
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=04&year=2009&day=26&hour=16:00[/img] Carnival Splendor
Old June 22nd, 2004, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the information everyone. We were considering one of the 14-day cruises in December, but I think I've woken up to the harsh reality that I'll barely have enough vacation time to do a seven-day, so we'll stick with our current booking.

Cher - would love to join you but I'm afraid I'll still have the same problem with vacation time I have now. Thanks for the offer though.

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old June 25th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to Cruisenut1

Michelle, any time-there will be others out there for us to take.

Monarch of the Seas
Carnival Elation
http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=04&year=2009&day=26&hour=16:00[/img] Carnival Splendor
Old June 25th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Admiral

Michelle:

Just a word of caution relative to the previous posts. Celebrity has NOT announced any major renovation to Zenith or Horizon and as a matter of fact, Horizon's upcoming drydock was apparently just cancelled. Don't book your room based upon this as it may or may not happen. Basically these changes are right now only rumors that have been floating on these boards and other boards.

Don
Old June 25th, 2004, 08:19 AM
First Mate

Don,

I have never known CruiseMates to post articles on their Cruise News page based on rumor. If Horizon was not scheduled for renovation while in dry dock, what was she in for and why was it cancelled as you say? Could you share your source with us?

I just checked availablity on both ships and neither is available during the times mentioned above.

Glenn

Post Edited (06-25-04 22:51)

Old June 29th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Alan Bailey

Save your money.

We took the Zenith to Bermuda in spring 03 and then the southern carribbean cruise from Jacksonville in Feb 04. Loved the first cruise, hated the second.

Stayed in the same suite both cruises. It was visibly showing more wear on the second cruise, but the biggest problem was no air conditioning in our room and no response when complained. Some nights it was above 90 in the room long after midnight. We finally convinced the housekeeper to leave the drapes closed all day (so why pay for an outside room?) which kept it a little bit cooler, then were also out of the sun on the return trip to Jacksonville. I was about to get off the ship and fly home when we were in Barbados, but my travel agent (a $45 long distance call) persuaded us to stay aboard. Ended up getting a small credit to apply against a future cruise.

An officer told us at dinner one evening that the Zenith was due for a total renovation in early 05 and would be dry-docked for six weeks. The plan was to add balconies to the Atlantic deck (Suites and Concierge) and renovate all rooms, plus mechanicals. However this has been shortened to a 10 day dry dock in January. After finding out about the change in plans, we cancelled our plans for next spring on the Zenith and scheduled on the Infinity instead.
Old June 30th, 2004, 06:48 PM
peter frank

I am booked in the Horizon 10/31 so I know that original drydock is not being done as scheduled. I hope they do go through with it. Maybe just a schedule adjustment?
Old July 1st, 2004, 11:56 AM
Evelyn Richardson

Yesterday June 30 I booked 14 night cruise on Zenith out of Jacksonville for Jan 2 2005.

Anyone know when the "dry dock" will take place? I cannot help but wonder if my cruise willl be cancelled at the last minute.

Any news will be appreciated, - rafex1@earthlink.net - if you wish to E mail me

Thank you
Old July 1st, 2004, 10:56 PM
First Mate

I don't think you have anything to worry about Evelyn. I just checked the Zenith booking dates and Jan 2nd, 15th and 30th are available again. They had been blocked for a while. Oh well, either way, it's going to be a great cruise. We sail on her the following month.

Glenn

Old July 2nd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Zenith

Glenn:

As I stated in my earlier post, Celebrity has never announced that they are refurbishing the ships. Where cruisemates got their info, I don't know however the dates given in the article you posted are available for booking and have been available, at least for the Horizon. Horizon was scheduled for a drydock for 12 days, early November but there is now a repostitioning cruise scheduled for that time period. The drydock officially was to do all the normal maintenance on the ship. Again, Celebrity has never announced any renovations as of this date.

Don
Old July 5th, 2004, 03:16 PM
First Mate

Post Edited (07-05-04 18:07)

Old July 6th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Alan Bailey

We were on the Zenith southern caribbean cruise in Feb 04 and an officer told us at dinner one evening that the Zenith would be dry docked the winter of 04-05 for six weeks for repairs and refurbishments - and adding balconies to the Atlantic deck. The celebrity web site had a blocked out time of six weeks from January through mid-February until just about a month ago, then added back in the southern and western caribbean cruises.

Since we were booked in the western caribbean cruise in late Feb 05, our TA called her celebrity rep who said the dry dock had been shortened to about 12 days, in January, however it looks now that there is no down-time scheduled for the Zenith during the next twelve months.
Old July 12th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Bill Warwick

We were on the Zenith in Feb. for 2 weeks. It is a fine ship.The service was excellant and the food was wonderful. We have been on about 10 other cruises and this was one of the best. and so was the price. We are leaving on another cruise on a new ship out of Genoa to Ft. Lauderdale in November for 17 days. Our first transatlantic. Have a wonderful trip. Where are you sailing to?
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:05 PM
Passenger

Just returned from the Zenith on Saturday. Not quite up to par with Celebrity's extremely high standards, but still in better shape than most other ships of any cruise line. It is in "great" rather than the usual "near perfect" condition but it is scheduled to be renovated soon, as discussed earlier. Have no fear, the Zenith is in great shape!
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:46 PM
First Mate

The Zenith is actually being sold. Online when u see no mor sailing that is bbecasue after that date Celebrity will no longer own it. the cruise director told me that when i sailed on it for christmas and new year.
Old July 19th, 2004, 08:57 AM
Beginner

I just looked at X Fleet Calendar and the Zenith does show Carribean sailings starting back up in Oct. 05, but the Horizon and the Century show nothing after May 05. Does that mean that they have also sold the Century??

Old July 20th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Zenith

None of the Celebrity ships are being sold and Celebrity has made no announcements as to renovations on the Zenith and Horizon. I wish Celebrity would tell their people on board to keep their mouths shut unless the corporation issues a press release. These rumors are ridiculous and coming from people who are supposedly in the know. So far, none have been correct and now the new rumors that ships are being sold and refurbishments in 2004 and 2005. If I had the time I would go back and research all the rumors and list them. It would really be funny and none of them are true.

Don