Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 20th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Passenger

Default Zenith - 9/18/04

Hi all,

Just found this site after looking for any information on Zenith. We are booked on the 9/18/04 cruise to Bermuda. This will be our first time for everything, cruise and Bermuda. Very excited. SInce I am a cruise virgin, I have few questions and my questions to you all experts in Cruise are:
1 - How much are drink prices, like soda, beer, and cocktails? Any free drinks? Is water free?
2 - How safe is the water onboard? Can we bring bottle water from shore?
3 - Shore excursions, there are few tours we want to join but no time is posted on the Celebrity Site. The time is supposed to be posted on board. I am afraid if I book them on line, and the ones we want would be departing at the same time. I don't think we can be at two places at the same time. Do they have multiple groups at different times?

These are some of the questions so far, I am sure as the time goes, I will have more questions. Thank you all in advance!!

Wants2fly - now wants2cruise
Sponsored Links
Old June 21st, 2004, 06:26 PM
tokathy

Default Re: Zenith - 9/18/04

Hi,

We are on the Zenith on 9/18 also....Sorry I can't help much with the current drink prices as it's almost 3 years since we sailed the Zenith to Bermuda. I remember they always have a "drink special of the day" and they were around $4.25 + 15% tip (Usually a frozen drink of some sort) With your meals ice tea, hot tea and coffee are always free. Cans of soda are approx 1.50 + 15% tip automatically added.......(the 15% is added automatically to all bar drinks. They charge for bottled water, but you can always get ice water anywhere..... we drank the ship's water and we lived! You can bring on some beverages in your carry on luggage and there should not be a problem as long as you don't over do it.

Sorry I can't help with your other questions............See you in September

Kathy
Old June 21st, 2004, 07:25 PM
Captain

Dear Wants 2:

Water on board is safe...been on 13 cruises and drank the water
every time.

Tours: I would not book more than 1 tour per day online...then you won't
be at risk of "overbooking" your time.

Happy cruisin'.
Old June 21st, 2004, 08:15 PM
tokathy

I agree with Lou, no need to book more than one excursion per day (that even seems excessive)...as Bermuda is so safe that you can tour it on your own....rent a motor scooter, get a multi day bus/ferry pass or just hire a cab to take you where you want to go.......like the Aquarium, Fort Catherine or to a beautiful beach.......

Kathy
Old June 21st, 2004, 09:36 PM
Passenger

Thank you for the information. I am more aware of the prices now.

Thanks again!

Wants2fly
Old July 1st, 2004, 03:48 PM
Alan Bailey

We went to Bermuda from NY in April 03. You will enjoy this as your first cruise, and like us be hooked for life. We did the southern caribbean cruise Feb 04 on the Zenith and scheduled for Alaska this fall on the Mercury and Hawaii next year on the Infinity.

Celebrity has started offering a daily card you can buy for unlimited soft drinks, but with my one diet coke a day habit I just paid when I wanted one. If you don't drink soft drinks, you can get iced tea, juice or water at the back of the buffet line on the pool deck pretty much 24/7. They only supply little 8 oz glasses , but we took a plastic tumbler size glass (less than $1 from WalMart) on the second cruise, and noticed others were doing the same for iced tea. Iced tea, coffee and water are free in the caravelle restaurant, but you pay for wine, (as much as $9 a glass) or any other mixed drinks. you will see very few people ordering drinks with dinner, but instead having a cocktail in the rendevous before dinner or during the after dinner show (assuming you have first seating).

The one time I felt like we were "taken" was during a captains club reception when they brought around trays of champagne, then wanted your card to charge after you took one. Pretty cheap trick I thought.

The daily drink specials are too-sweet tropical drinks. (I usually drink white wine or scotch and water), so I rarely did those. They run around $4 each, plus gratuity. They sometimes offer them in a souvenier glass for about twice that price.

Gratuities are automatically added to your soft drinks and alchohol, (but not for the free drinks you get yourself from the buffet) even when you take them from the mini bar in your stateroom. The water on board is as good as bottled water, very good in fact.

Any alchohol you carry on board will be taken from you and given back at the end of the cruise, but I'm going to try to put a bottle in the checked baggage on our next cruise so we can do our own mixed drink in the room before dinner.

You can book your tours on board, but there's a cut-off about 24 hours before the tour. We don't like to book these too far in advance, prefer to be a little more unscheduled on vacation. The thing I enjoyed most in Hamilton was buying the public bus pass, you can take the bus from very near the dock, and riding the bus to horseshoe bay, a lighthouse and around to the point, then taking the public ferry back to Hamilton. If you get lost, the locals are very friendly and helpful. I think the cost was about $3 per day if I remember right. You can walk most places in Hamilton.

You don't need a bus pass at all in St George. We walked up to the ruined church and the fort in the morning, then shopped in the afternoon. Also did the evening champagne catamarand cruise in Hamilton and the kayaking adventure which was fun, except for the very cold water in April.

Have Fun!
Old July 1st, 2004, 11:36 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Zenith - 9/18/04

Wow... what you did sounded great. I can't hardly wait for my turn!
Thank you so much for the details. I really appreciated...

Wants2fly
Old July 3rd, 2004, 12:08 PM
Toley

Alan,
On which ship were you charged for champagne at a Captain's Club party? Wow!
Old July 12th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Bill Warwick

We were on the Zenith in Feb. for 2 weeks. Foods was excellant, staff was excellant, rooms were larger than most cruise ships, none are very big. nickel slots are good, we won about 700.00 on them, If I were you, I'd read up on Bermuda and do the sights on your own. The excursions are rather expensive from the ship. Free iced tea, coffee, all day long, mixed drinks are about 3.50, but there are specials of the day a little cheaper. Don't plan on anything being free on board. Shows were very good, and the one thing , the ship is stable. We got into some 18ft. seas, and the ship did find. I've been on larger ships and didn't fare as well as this one.
Have a great time.
Bill Warwick
Old July 13th, 2004, 08:47 AM
alan bailey

Toley:

We were on the Southern Caribbean cruise last February, and were charged for champagne a waiter brought around during a captain's club afternoon tea in the Micahels Club. On the next round he brought the checks for those of us who accepted the champagne.

Most people thought it was kind of a sleazy trick since any other Captain's club event (evening parties) the drinks offered like that - already poured on a silver tray were complimentary. It wasn't so much the money as it was feeling like we'd been duped.
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Passenger

Ok, I have another question now.

Should I get travel insurance for this cruise? September is in the midst of the hurricane season.
What are your experiences with travel insurances?
Your inputs are greatly appreciated.

Wants2fly...
Old July 20th, 2004, 02:45 PM
michelle920

Hi...I too will be on the cruise for 9/18. I have never sailed Celebrity before, always RCI, but am looking forward to this cruise and seeing Bermuda for the first time as well. They say September and October are hurricane season, but it's not always true. I have sailed many times in October and have yet to hit a hurricane. Plus the Bermuda website says September is a pretty good month.
Have a great time and see ya there in Sept!!
Michelle
Old July 20th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Wants 2fly:

Get travel insurance if you want to cover sickness or injury to yourself or someone close to you but travel insurance is basically not going to help you if in hurricane season. There is very little chance that your cruise would be cancelled because of a hurricane. The more likely scenerio is that your ports may be changed in which case travel insurance will not help because most policies simply don't cover change of ports.

Don