Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:26 AM
omj

Default Formal/Informal wear for a 17 year old

Will be cruising on Summit next April with 17 year old; he loves eating with us and wants to do the dining room each night. Being Scottish, I think we can crack the formal (kilt!) but what does a 17 year old wear as smart informal - will he need a jacket - his dad wears a sports jacket on these nights on our previous celeb cruises- think you call them sports coats - but never looked before at what the teenagers wear. Now I wish I had! Can anyone give us advice?

A
Sponsored Links
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Formal/Informal wear for a 17 year old

The sports coat (with or without a tie) would be fine, but, no one will throw him out if he is well dressed in a shirt and pants (not jeans). I could quote you the suggested dress out of a Celebrity catalog and it would be "more" than the above, but, in reality what I stated above would be fine.
Sometimes parents do not want to purchase a sports coat or suit for a growing 17 year old who will outgrow it while walking out of the store. On the otherhand it can be nice for a young man to have a nice jacket to wear when the occassion arises. At that age, I used to steal one of my Dad's or one of my older brother's. Problem was just a while later I outgrew both of them.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:49 AM
nancy stark

My 16 year old will be wearing a suit for this cruise and my youngest son (11y/o) a sport coat and pant with dress shirt and tie. On previous cruises they both have had sports coats, dress pants with shirt and ties and have not felt "out of place".
Old June 24th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Passenger

He should basically wears what his father wears with maybe a "teenage style" to it if that's what he chooses. At 17, he is approaching adult status so dressing similar to his father would be appropriate. Happy cruising!
Old June 25th, 2004, 05:28 PM
omj

Default Re: Re: Formal/Informal wear for a 17 year old

Thanks this is so helpful - so we have some other teenagers on this trip - hope they s all meet up. I am so lucky to have a boy that enjoys both adult and teenager company
See you all on 1st April
Old June 28th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Terry3891

I'm leaving on a cruise in less than 2 weeks with my 15 yr. old daughter and 13 yr. old son. I told my son he had the choice of a suit or a tuxedo for the formal night and he wants to wear a tux. He's going to look sooooo cute!!!! *SMILE* For the other nights, I got him dress pants with shirt and tie. But I have to tell you, he thought the pants were too small... You know kids and their 'big' clothes. Not that anyone asked, lol... But my daughter will wear a gown on formal night and dresses or dress pants on the other nights.

- Terry
Old June 29th, 2004, 09:26 PM
jane1031

I have to say that my kids were the total opposites to the previous post on our recent Alaska cruise on Infinity. I was amazed that my 18 yr. old daughter brought along a skirt for the formal nights, but she wore nice pants all of the other nights. My 15 yr. old and my daughter's 19 yr old boyfriend both had nice pants and shirts, but never put on a tie. They certainly didn't feel uncomfortable, and we had a table for the four of us, so hopefully we didn't offend anyone else. Personally, although I dress up with the best of them, I don't mind if the kids don't have a suit or other 'formal' wear. I would have been eating alone if they didn't join me, so I would have rather had the company. I won't pack for the kids (I have enough to do getting myself ready!), so what they bring is what they bring, although I do provide some guidelines. The best part was that although my son packed his suit pants, he neglected to bring shoes to go with...and his choices weren't pretty. It has been a few years since I was on a Celebrity ship, but it seemed that the formal nights were a little less so than I remembered. Just an opinion.