Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 15th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Donna L.

Default Vibration problems on Mercury

I keep reading about terrible vibation problems on Mercury. Any comments. We leave tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Old July 15th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Susan Hofer

Default Re: Vibration problems on Mercury

We took Mercury to Alaska last year and when we were pulling away from the dock in San Francisco we happened to be in the back enclosed pool area and the vibrations were unbelievable. The sliding doors were banging so hard in their frames we thought they were going to come out. However, that was the only time we felt this. We were on deck most times leaving the ports and did not feel any other vibrations. Now we had a deck 8 midships cabin and never felt anything coming or going. I can't speak for anyone with an aft cabin. If you are away from the back, you should be ok.
Old July 15th, 2004, 10:38 AM
David Starkey

I have sailed the Mercury 6 times and had cabins in different locations. The vibration is most noticed in the diningroom at the very rear near the large windows overlooking the ocean. Other than that location, to me, its not a problem. I have had two cabins aft on lower decks and it didn't bother me at all.

The Mercury is a very well run ship, and my favorite of the Celebrity fleet.
Old July 15th, 2004, 11:06 AM
rkamen

We did a cruise on the Mercury in March of 2002, We were informed there was a propulsion problem and the ship could not make the fully itinerary. They made alternate stops and we were given a $100 per cabin shipboard credit.

There was also a pronounced vibration - felt especially in the aft section of the ship. This coincides with their claim of a propulsion problem. They never did specify what the problem was.

In the dining room - the vibration was extremely annoying - and I had our table moved as far from the center of the room as possible. I never did enjoy dinner until the last evening when they got much of vibration and propulsion problems under control.

But, I would not hesitate to rebook on the Mercury if the timing and price worked out for me. I like Celebrity as a whole - and I like their ships and service.
Bob
Old July 15th, 2004, 02:29 PM
lysolqq

Have sailed on Mercury four times and never found vibration to be a problem.
Old July 16th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Vibration problems on Mercury

Just to clarify, the propulusion problem and the vibrations that were mentioned have nothing to do with one another. The propulsion problem was fixed. The vibrations that you feel occur when the thrusters are turned on while making port manuevers. They last about 10 to 15 minutes and are normal on this and many other ships with the same systems.

Don
Old July 16th, 2004, 03:36 PM
rkamen

Dear dkjretired
The propulsion problems we had on our cruise and the non-stop 24/7 vibrations - especially in the aft section of the ship - were definitely tied together. In the dining room while at sea, the water in our glasses on the table was in constant motion - mostly rippling on the surface. The vibration noise (resonnating) thoughout the dining room was annoying and a hinderence to conversation. Much like an multi-engined airliner when both engines are not in proper synch.

While I agree that thrusters do cause vibration during manuvering, this was a whole different issue.

I am a licensed captain - 100 ton coastal (better known in Coast Guard language as a 6-pak license) - and spent 25 years on boats and ships of all sizes for pleasure and work. I know vibration and I know propulsion issues. On our cruise, the 2 were tied together.
Old July 16th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Rkamen:

The vibration that the original poster was speaking about was the one I was referring to and this is due to the thrusters. Perhaps on your cruise there was a related vibration to the propulsion problem. This was not the vibration the OP was speaking of nor the one I was answering the question about. This vibration has been on all the C class ships and it shakes the whole aft area. I know because I was in one of the aft cabins. In this case we are both correct.

Don
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:05 PM
rkamen

Don,
I appreciate your answer and apologize for mis-interpreting your response as it related to my posting. As you stated, we are both correct.
By the way I would not hesitate to sail on the Mercury again. Other than the one problem we had on our cruise, Celebrity does an excellent job and we enjoy all of thier ships.
Bob
Old July 17th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Bob:

Also would not hesitate to book the same room in the aft, they were the family rooms and had loads of room.

Don
Old July 19th, 2004, 03:14 PM
ssolomon

Hi -

We sailed on Mercury (round-trip from SF) for a week in mid March 2004 - and we never noticed any kind of excessive vibration problems at all. Excellent ship, excellent cruise.
Old July 24th, 2004, 10:58 AM
cechase

We sailed on Mercury out of San Francisco for an 8 day cruise on 3/13/2004. We did not notice any vibration at all. However, our last evening at dinner as the ship was dashing towards San Francisco, we were encountering the usual swells which on gets along the California coast, and with a table just one table from the rear windows, you could see that the stern was moving up and down about 15 to 20 feet.

Our only problem on this cruise was noise at night coming from activity in the hot dog and hamburger stand which was right above our suite. [We were in RS1054] For some reason they were working above us in the middle of the night, and it sounded like they were rolling bowling balls along the deck. Guest Relations was very good in trying to eliminate the activity or at least have them do so quietly.
Old July 25th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Donna L.

I'm back.....................the Mercury was fabulous, but there was vibration in the aft cabins when docking but nothing bothersome. My sister had a problem, however - a FAMILY cabin (8162) in the back of the book RIGHT OVER THE BAND one floor below. They could even hear the lyrics every night. Not a place for a family!! But what an amazing time