CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   LAUNDRY (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/211197-laundry.html)

dozer183e July 16th, 2004 11:49 AM

LAUNDRY

Who knows what the Summit has available as far as laundry facilities and iron loans go?

PapaBill July 16th, 2004 12:03 PM

Re: LAUNDRY

There is no self service laundry on Summit . There is a laundry and dry cleaning service available. I have seen very many threads about how you can't get an iron, but, last time on Summit our travelling companions were able to borrow an iron by asking their steward.

danalan July 16th, 2004 12:43 PM

I don't understand the lack of laundry facilities by Celebrity.

What would be the harm in having a few coin operated washing machines on each deck. Seems like it would raise more revenue than it would take away from the laundry, as most people only have laundry done on an emergency basis while on a cruise, but would probably do a load or two of laundry if they could do it themselves.

The irons are a fire hazard. We asked our butler up front if we could use the small travel iron we brought with us on our first cruise and were cautioned about the safety risks - and to be sure to unplug it, not just turn it off when done, which we always do anyway, but said it was OK to use it. Guess if you have to ask for it rather than it just being automatically in the room they are more aware of who has one and to watch for it.

JohnH July 16th, 2004 05:58 PM

Self service laundry is just another reason NOT to cruise
Celebrity and instead cruise HAL, Princess, or Carnival. Most all of
their ships have laundry facilities.

daysatsea July 17th, 2004 05:04 AM

My boss just got back from a Holland America Alaska cruise on one of the newer ships and she said there was no self-service laundries.
The way i feel is that if you're on a cruise, you should be enjoying yourself instead of doing laundry and other mundane chores. It's my vacation - I want to be waited on hand and foot - , soon enough I'll get back to real life.

JohnH July 17th, 2004 06:58 PM

That is true - no laundry on the Zuiderdam et al. But there
is on the Statendam and Rotterdam class ships.

kubies August 12th, 2004 11:07 PM

Re: Re: LAUNDRY

So, what is your best recollection of the cost for laundry? Is one charged by the piece? or by the weight? Thanks.

danalan August 13th, 2004 08:03 AM

Kubie:

The laundry charge is by the piece, not by weight. It's a bit higher than you'd pay for a commercial dry cleaners at home. You can get a price listing from your steward if not already in the printed materials in your room.

kelii September 13th, 2004 02:01 AM

The first time I had to use the laundry services of RCCL, I learned a valuable lesson. I can buy underwear and socks at Sears or Penneys for the same price they charge to wash them. So if necessary, I purchase what I may need to ensure I have sufficient sox and underwear for the entire cruise.

Franknca September 13th, 2004 05:05 PM

Most of our cruises are two weeks or longer so we like ships that have self service laundries. When we do a Celebrity cruise, we either pack enough for the entire trip or we pack our oldest underwear, socks and other items and just throw them away. As one person remarked, the price to clean is almost the price to buy new at Walmart.

The good news is that we don't have to worry about this on Princess anymore. We have attained Elite status and all our laundry and dry cleaning is complimentary. Even shoe shines. There's some other perks too but this is no longer an issue for me on that line.
Frank-in-CA

JLKoag September 14th, 2004 09:09 PM

Why worry????

The formal night fashion police are judging you by whether or not you are wearing a tux, not by whether you have clean underware or not.

Sorry, could not resist - LOL!!!! My wife says I am 61 going on 15!! jlk

ps--thanx for the encouragement Total Jackass and seabee!!!

gardencat September 14th, 2004 09:20 PM

Total Jackass,
I disagree (of course). My theory is that if my clothes are startlingly well pressed everyone will be so busy admiring them that they will not notice my wrinkled face!
http://www.cruisemates.com/animated/catrunning.gif

AR September 14th, 2004 10:33 PM

Re: Re: LAUNDRY

You're only half right, gardencat. The truth is that they won't notice either one.

My philosophy is that they only way anybody will know if your clothes are wrinkled is if somebody takes a picture and the wrinkles show up. If that happens, just have the photo digitally touched up. This may also work for faces at your option.

I think bringing irons is silly, but then I think bringing half the things I see people hauling aboard ships is silly (duct tape?)

Did you hear about they guy rushing to catch a ship at FLL who made a last minute stop at a drug store to pick up a few things he forgot. He arrived at the counter with condoms and Bonine. The clerk looked up at him and said, "Hey, if it makes you sick, why do it?"