CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   why take children on cruises? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/211198-why-take-children-cruises.html)

lorie ann July 16th, 2004 12:31 PM

why take children on cruises?

I totally understand parents wanting to take a nice cruise but why take small children parents are so limited on what they can do i have grown up children and i sure wouldnt invite them to come along with myself and husband theres a time and a place for family vacations cruising i dont think is one

michelle baker July 16th, 2004 12:46 PM

Re: why take children on cruises?

There are some of us who enjoy taking our children on vacation with us. We are blessed that our child is very well behaved, but I couldn't bring myself to tell her that we were going on a cruise and that we were gooing to leave her at home. To her that would insinuate that we would have more fun without her. I am sure that is not the same for every family, but we are not blessed with reliable or trustworthy family members that we would consider leaving her with.
Cruises are to be enjoyed by everyone, from families to singles to retirees. If you do not think that cruises should be enjoyed by families then maybe you should take one that is for adults only? As for us we will continue to make lasting memories with our child.

Cruiseguy July 16th, 2004 03:23 PM

Here we go again, Lorie, prepare to be flamed beyond recognition.

michelle baker July 16th, 2004 04:19 PM

I definately wasn't meaning to flame, I was just responding to a question with my opinion. I am sorry if it sounded harsh. You also have to realize anytime you ask a questions in a slightly negative tone about people's children. most are likely to get defensive. Once again, I didn't mean to come off as harsh, but I do believe that a cruise is "the time and place" for a family vacation.

ESS July 16th, 2004 04:31 PM

Perhaps those parents who take small children on cruises have not learned what grandparents are for!!

rkamen July 16th, 2004 05:39 PM

I am a grandparent and take my 3 boys and THEIR children with us.
Everyone "piles on" as dear old dad (grandpa to the little ones) usually foots the bill.

As long as the children are well behaved and properly attended to - I see no reason not to bring them. When we cruise as a family (with the grandkids along), we usually book ships that have activities for the little and medium size children.

When Granny and I go (we are in our upper 50's and actively employed), we look for cruises that cater more to adults and try to avoid those ships and time peroids when other kids are prevelant.

AR July 16th, 2004 07:33 PM

Oh, please, let's not get another 500-post string going.

Can we just agree that. . .

1. Some people don't want to take their kids on cruises; others do.

2. Some people like to share cruises as family vacations; others don't.

3. Some people can't stand the sight of kids on ships; others could care less.

BUT. . .

4. Since it's well known that cruise ships welcome children, it should be no surprise to anyone to find children on board.

5. It is unlikely that the cruise lines' policy of welcoming children will change any time soon.

6. For those who can't stand the sight of children, there are numerous ways to avoid them. There are occasional adults only cruises, and there are certain itineraries at certain times of the year where very few children will be found. A little common sense and/or a good travel agent can pinpoint these opportunities.

It's pretty much as simple as that. So I vote for skipping the "my kid is great" vs. the "all kids are evil" arguments, because they're not productive and they won't change the reality of what you'll find on board.

Califive July 16th, 2004 08:52 PM

As someone who practically grew up cruising, I don't understand how anyone can say that children shouldn't be taken on cruises. Yes, they are perfectly entitled to hold this opinion, but I personally in my opinion cannot understand it. I was NEVER one of those kids that congregated on the stairs or shouted and ran around the ship or didn't dress appropriately in the dining room, so in my opinion there was nothing "wrong" with my parents taking me on the cruise. To me, saying that children shouldn't cruise is like saying people from Connecticut shouldn't cruise because they're rude or loud or annoying or whatever (I'm from Connecticut and just using that as an example- don't get offended my fellow Connecticut-ians!) I just don't understand how people can make such vast generalizations. I guess I never will. Happy cruising everyone.

Franknca July 18th, 2004 12:00 AM

I will add to this - this December we will be taking our children and grandchildren on their 3rd cruise. They all totally enjoy the experience. The cruise lines do a great job of entertaining the children so that the parents have time to relax and enjoy themselves. This also keeps the kids out of the other areas where they might not be "welcome" by other cruisers. Some lines, like Princess, limit the number of children on their ships to 200 as beyond that number, they could not properly take care of them. Cruise lines that take as many paying customers as they can end up with an over supply of kids that sometimes get bored and we all know how bored kids get in trouble.

Cruise lines that properly take care of children are very smart as they are grooming these kids to keep on cruising when they become adults.
Frank-in-CA

gardencat July 18th, 2004 12:48 AM

Okay I don't really understand what OP is getting at here. lorie ann do you think that children shouldn't be taken on vacations at all or is it just cruises that you feel they shouldn't go on?
If it is just cruises, why do you think cruises are so different from other vacations that they would be totally unsuitable for children? I am not trying to flame you, just trying to understand.

I would not take a young child to the extra charge alternate restaurant for a 3 hour meal which would probably bore them silly resulting in restless behaviour that might disturb other passengers, but in my experience there is nothing so formal about the buffets on most ships that they would be unsuitable for kids.
Most cruises have kids clubs or the like which means that mom and dad can get some private time if they wish but this can be combined with a nice family vacation too.

A few years ago, my then 12 year old son, accompagnied me on a cruise on the RCL Voyager. It worked out so well for both of us. During the sea days he went to the kids club to meet friends. They were able to go roller blading, ice skating ,play video games etc, while mom went to art auctions, wine tastings and found quiet time to read on a secluded deck chair. Every night he knew he was expected to be back at our cabin by 5:30 to get cleaned up for dinner and dine with us. During dinner we talked about what each of us had done during the day and our plans for the evening.
The waiters were fantastic! They quickly learned that my son would not be ordering an appetizer but would go straight to the main course. They would bring his main course when thay brought our appetizers By the time we were ready to order dessert and coffee (and maybe a liquour) My son was finished eating. He excused humself politely. Went back to the cabin to change back into more casual clothes and met up again with his friends. This allowed us to enjoy a leisurely dinner at the same time as keeping up with his doings and without forcing him to sit for a (for him) painfully long time. What other vacation can you think of that would allow that?
When in port we were able to do things together and ,to this day,horseback riding along the beach and into the ocean in Jamaca (with his Mom) is one of his special memories.

Sorry this got so long but you did ask. I'm not sure how small you meant by 'small chidren' but I can only suppose that even for quite young children a cruise might offer several advantages.
I do understand adults wanting, sometimes, to have the choice to be on an entirely kid free cruise, but isn't that what adukt only cruises are for?

JLKoag July 19th, 2004 06:26 AM

Oh well, one more post.

I am 61 and my wife is 58 - we have no children.

Frankly, we both enjoy seeing families together enjoying a cruise, and do realize that kids will be kids.

But, unfortunately there is nothing you can do with stupid people who let their kids run out of control. My advice is to bug the ship personnel to death, and keep calling the parents about the problem - they need to step in. You are not supposed to take a lot of nonsense to make life easy for everyone else.

I don't think goods kids should be left home just because of a few jerks.

maursea July 19th, 2004 08:17 AM

I would find taking babies and their equipment a pain. Some of these strollers are like tanks, not for cruise ship strolling. More than once, I have been hit in the leg with them and no "I am sorry" from the stroller pusher. Dinner in the dining room is too long for a baby in high chair and young children. Its mean to make them sit for 2 hour dinners and them making noise that bothers the other passengers. We started at age 6 with our childrenon their first cruise. They were potty trained and could go to the children programs. I have found that the pefect age to start. We even saw big wheel ride on toys on one cruise. They rode them down the hallways. Thats was the stupides thing we saw l I will get flamed for this. This such a touchy subject.

Franknca July 20th, 2004 05:03 PM

Re: Re: why take children on cruises?

I hope you don't get flamed for your opinion. Many people do not think about anyone other than themselves and think that since they paid so much for their cruise that they are entitled to acting rudely. I'm sure you've experienced or heard about people bringing babies to movie theaters on shore - just what one wants, a crying baby at a critical part when they've paid so much to see that movie. Why they can't wait a few months and rent the movie is beyond me.

I agree that an ideal age would be about 5 or 6 and up but that can't always happen when there is a family reunion cruise and one of the members has a very young child. However, they should do what is necessary to make sure others, that also paid good money for their cruise, are not inconvenienced or annoyed by their little ones. It's only good manners. Those very averse to children should book the higher ended lines at times when schools are in session. Those that have a lot of young children should stick to Carnival or Disney.
Frank-in-CA

Lisa July 20th, 2004 11:36 PM

I generally don't mind children on cruises.....but I am totally annoyed by parents who say that I should go on adult only sailings. As far as I know Celebrity is the only line that offers them and they have only FOUR adult only sailings per year....so I am to choose between those four only? I don't mind kids as long as they behave and act reasonably....however if they don't I do expect the parents to handle the situation in a timely manner....not sit there and let their little lovely ride out their tantrum or whatever while those around are subject to it. Kids will be kids and they will laugh and make noise...but if they run (in an unsafe area or around others), if they are crying, screaming or demanding attention during meals, shows, running up and down the corridors, etc. I do expect parents to do the appropriate thing and remove those said children or discipline them. Is that so much to ask?

Post Edited (07-21-04 01:24)

DrJeff July 20th, 2004 11:59 PM

I believe that children and adults should not be allowed on my next cruise. They are always in the way.

Teach1 July 24th, 2004 02:22 PM

I am a First Grade teacher and mother of two. I think there are valid opinions to both sides of the agument to bring children on a cruise. I believe the parents need to make an informed choice based on their children and be prepared to use the cruise as a teaching possibly for good manners, making appropriate choices, etc. I believe most parents know their children well enough to decide if they can handle a cruise. I personally would not bring a baby or toddler unless I had a lot of family help with me. I doubt I would attempt to bring these young, unpredictable kids to a formal dining room. I would be mortified if they ruined others meal. At home I wouldn't bring a baby or toddler to a five star restaurant, so why a cruise? Surely the adults could find a way to make it work?
As far as the childrens program go on Celebrity....my experience last year on the Mercury to Alaska was the children were hardly ever around, but when they did appear it was out of control and bad enough that I complained. While eating lunch in the buffet area the cruise counselors sent their charges on a full out run scavenger hunt. The children were screaming and yelling and practically knocking people to the ground trying to find their scavenger objects. The people in charge could not keep their eyes on all these kids and didn't even try. As a parent I would have upset to know my child was out of eyesight of the people caring for her. I complained after two 10ish boys almost knocked over an elderly woman and her tray of food. It was taken care of right away. I did not see the kids in the main areas again.

Franknca July 24th, 2004 04:57 PM

That is the only time I've seen children on a cruise and that was the proverbial scavanger hunt. However, in our case, the children were not running around but were approaching people for items. I know they need activities to keep the children occupied but I think it would be a good idea to drop this one.
Frank-in-CA

Lou July 25th, 2004 07:05 PM

We took our granddaughter (now 11) on 2 cruises, first one was when she
was 9 and the reason we took her this past spring, was that she LOVED it.
It was her best vacation ever, and this kid is lucky enough to travel alot.
Last spring break we were on the Mariner and there were over 1100 kids!
Yes, that's alot, but there was hardly ever a problem w/them. Yes, it did get
noisy around the pool during days@sea.

But why would any adults book a 7 day cruise during spring break? The answer
was that they're a teacher, and that's when their vacation is. I did feel sorry
for the elderly couples we saw...again, why in the world were they on this
ship during spring break? Guess they don't have a good TA.

We'll continue to take our granddaughter on cruises, as long as she wants to
go with us. She does enjoy the "kids club" and met friends there. Since she
is an only child...a great way for her to travel and still spend with kids her age.

If you want to avoid kids...use a good TA, and try to avoid "break" or vacation
times. Also, look at longer cruises.

JLKoag July 26th, 2004 08:37 PM

As long as we are still posting - I REPEAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!

My wife and I have no kids (we are 61, me, 58, her). We LOVE to see families on a cruise and enjoying it, AND with both of us being kids a long time ago, realize that kids will be kids (loud, running, etc.) AND WE ACCEPT THAT!!!!!!

BUT, when kids are out of control, *****, *****, *****!!!!! Make some fun out of it - if the kids are running in the halls at 11:00 p.m., CALL THE PARENTS AT 3:00 a.m. and complain, and do it as long as the problem continues. Maybe I am still a kid, but I would love doing that - make life, not tough, but - get this - RESPONSIBLE for them!!!!! If they let the kids run loose (screw the others), YOU RUN LOOSE TOO!!

THAT IS VACATION TO ME - a little immature, but true!!!

And, while you are doing it, wear a baseball cap backwards (gee, how cool)!!!!!!

cathy July 29th, 2004 12:27 PM

My husband and I do not have any kids, but after seeing the way some adults act at least kids have an excuse. On the 4 cruises we have been on, most kids are doing the kids activities and we never see them. Book a 10day and you will hardly see any kids.

hcat July 29th, 2004 12:53 PM

We have a 10 day trip on Briliance for Easter week (our error in picking that date) so we expect alot of children on Board. We;ll just hang out at the adults only pool when it gets noisy at the other one! As prior posters have said it's not the children but aduts who do not properly supervise that causes problems.

Califive July 29th, 2004 09:34 PM

Is it just me or has this absolutely ridiculous post already been beaten to death? Some people have a problem with children on cruises and some don't. We are never going to be able to reach an agreement. End of story.

ydoodle July 31st, 2004 05:58 PM

Thank you, Califive!!!

Diane Nagel August 2nd, 2004 04:44 PM

I took my kids along all the time when they were young (12 times to be exact). A week on a cruise is usually cheaper than a week at Disney. Of course you need to check out the cruise to take kids along. RCCL has excellent facilities for kids and most people don't realise how many kids are onboard. My kids (now 26 & 23) have great memories of vacations spent together and still want me to take them along! Parents can still have a great time.

Total Jackass August 2nd, 2004 07:57 PM

I heard there was a 7 year old child on the Titanic who tripped a waiter carrying a Flaming Baked Alaska in the dining room and that started a fire in the dining room. When the captain went to the dining room to check on the fire Titanic hit the iceberg. Who knows how history would have changed had they banned children from the Titanic.

Franknca August 2nd, 2004 10:47 PM

Some people do have appropriate handles......

dguiltinan August 3rd, 2004 11:21 AM

Titanic proportions

Total Jackass (May I call you Jack??):

I don't think they served baked Alaska that night, but I'm still checking:

Here is the first class menu for the evening, reminds me of a typical Celebrity dinner:

The First-Class Menu
As served in the first-class dining saloon of the R.M.S. Titanic on April 14, 1912

First Course:
Hors D'Oeuvres
Oysters

Second Course:
Consommé Olga
Cream of Barley

Third Course:
Poached Salmon with Mousseline Sauce, Cucumbers

Fourth Course:
Filet Mignons Lili
Saute of Chicken, Lyonnaise
Vegetable Marrow Farci

Fifth Course:
Lamb, Mint Sauce
Roast Duckling, Apple Sauce
Sirloin of Beef, Chateau Potatoes
Green Pea
Creamed Carrots
Boiled Rice
Parmentier & Boiled New Potatoes

Sixth Course:
Punch Romaine

Seventh Course:
Roast Squab & Cress

Eighth Course:
Cold Asparagus Vinaigrette

Ninth Course:
Pate de Foie Gras
Celery

Tenth Course:
Waldorf Pudding
Peaches in Chartreuse Jelly
Chocolate & Vanilla Eclairs
French Ice Cream

Total Jackass August 3rd, 2004 03:48 PM

Well now that I think about it.......Maybe I heard it a little different.....I think the child actually spit out the Pate de Foie Gras that was being served during the 9th course and as everyone knows Pate de Foie Gras is extremely slippery. Just as the child spit the Pate de Foie Gras on the floor a waiter was lighting a cigarette for one of the female passengers (they did smoke in the dining room in those days) and then of course the rest is history. So you see clearly children just should not be allowed on cruise ships.

MaryLou August 4th, 2004 05:23 AM

I guess I've been very lucky....I've never seen kids running out of control while on a cruiseship. We've cruised over holidays when there were many children onboard and they were no problem whatsoever.

RCCLfan August 5th, 2004 12:13 PM

I've actually found that often adults can be just as loud, obnoxious, and rude as kids. I can't tell you the number of times I hear loud, tipsy adults in the hallways late at night. I also can't tell you how many times I see adults walk into the dining room in t-shirts and then are too loud, rude, and don't know proper table manners.