Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:27 AM
NJmatt

Default No more Zenith and Horizon

I was just on another website tonight...icruise.com and was looking at the Celebrity schedule for next summer and the Zenith and Horizon both are not on Celebrity's schedule past May of 2005. I also read somewhere that the Empress of the Sea's from Royal Caribbean will no longer be going to Bermuda next year nor is the ship listed on RCCL's scheduled lineup for 2005.

Looks like all 3 ships are gone from both fleets.
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Admiral

Default Re: No more Zenith and Horizon

Check with a TA, they will tell you that the schedules are out for the summer and Zenith and Horizon are going to Bermuda as usual. Pricing has just not been released yet for whatever reasons. The only change that appears to be on the Horizon is that Zenith will be sailing out of Bayonne instead of NYC.

Don
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:04 AM
hcat

Actually Infinity is not shown past May either so I think it is just that the schedules are not out--Royal just refurbished Empress so I think they will keep her on what is becoming a popular run.
Old July 20th, 2004, 08:53 AM
NJmatt

Thank you folks...I said to myself why would RCCL be spending all this money for
the new Bayonne Cape Liberty port and be getting rid of the Empress of the Seas. I can see the Zenith coming across the river to Bayonne to make use of the new port which will be ideal in the long run,giving the proximity of Newark airport to Cape Liberty.
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:52 AM
David Starkey

Default Re: Re: No more Zenith and Horizon

Infinity is sailing Alaska in summer 2005.
Old July 20th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evelyn Richardson

Celebrity is being VERY SLOW in announcing some schedules. for instance Hawaii, they are supposed to be using Infinity 14 day in October 2005 and November 2005 to go from San Diego/Hawaii/San Diego, but as yet they have not published the date on which booking may start nor the prices.

An E mail from the cruise line informed me that I should "check back in two weeks" ie first week in August.

For some reason Celebrity seems to have trouble "getting their act together" and in geting their brochures available to possible passengers.
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:18 PM
First Mate

I acually was on the Zenith for the Christmas and New Years cruise. My family became very close with the cruise director. When we asked him if he was going to be coming back on the Zenith for his next contract he told us that the Zenith and Horizon have been sold. As of May of 2005 they will no longer be Celebrity ships. He said that not many people know about the change of ownership not even travel agents. The ships are very old and outdated compared to the rest of the fleet.
Old July 20th, 2004, 06:50 PM
janz

Zenith is sailing to Bermuda via, NJ.
Old July 20th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Last I heard is that both the Zenith and Horizon are scheduled to be drydocked for extended periods of time and retrofitted with balconies, etc.

Old July 21st, 2004, 06:29 AM
NJmatt

Celebrity should wise up and just use one of its newer ships to Bermuda and just dock one of them at Kings Wharf rather than going to Hamilton. As for putting balconies on both Horizon and Zenith I think that;s rather absurd and not cost efficient at all,use what ships you have with balconies and sell the older more outdated ships.
Old July 21st, 2004, 06:37 AM
Admiral

Cruiselover:

If the Zenith and Horizon have been sold, I seriously doubt that Celebrity would allow you to book them in 2006 which you can currently do. Appears you were taken in by another story given by some crew member. Maybe we should just add this one to the list of rumors.

Don
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:00 AM
Longboysfan

There are ship size restrictions in the Bermuda ports.
The Zenith and Horizon will be in Bermuda next summer.
One out of Bayonne one out of Philly.

Relax people.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:00 AM
David Starkey

Nothing wrong with Zenith or Horizon...why get rid of them?
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:48 PM
seabee

Actually they have been sold...to Windstar. they will be outfitted with sails to attract a bohemian clientele. then they will be homeported in Point Barrow, Alaska to sail 27 day itineraries thru the arctic. The price of the cruise will be an unbelieavable $995 inside/ $1095 outside...but the price of getting to Barrow will be $25,000 and will require a 7 day dog sled ride to the port. All this was told to me by the guy that handles the lines while he was tying the Century to the dock in Key West. I don't know for sure if he was a Celebrity employee but he had an X on his shirt so I'm sure this info is reliable.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 12:54 PM
Admiral

Seabee. Your information is at least as good as anyone elses. Nothing here but lots of speculation, wants and wishes. Not a single verifiable fact posted to this thread or any of the several others that have been posted on this subject.
Please post facts.
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:50 AM
Luv2Travel

The itinery for sailing to Bermuda on Celebrity's Horizon next summer just came out. We've been waiting not so patiently, like others, and we jumped at the chance to book on Horizon now, as we wanted something out of Philly or Baltimore to avoid airfare. There were other options for us like Radisson with their beautiful all-suite ship and a 7-day cruise "starting at" $2300 per person from Norfolk. Great itinerary and sounds fabulous but too costly for us. Then there's the Royal Caribbean 5-night cruise out of Baltimore but we wanted to be in beautiful Bermuda for more than a couple of days. So the only option for us (at this point) is the Horizon. I know the ship is older but the service and food are quality! I would love to find a newer ship that will meet our needs for next August and will continue to watch for something until our final payment is due. I also hope Celebrity has not sold the Horizon - and we risk a change in the many good things about this ship. I'll keep watching for more information.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 09:34 AM
Benjamin Smith

Cruiselover,

The Horizon and Zenith may be old compared to the rest of the fleet but they are not very old. The Crystal Harmony is the same age as the Horizon. The difference is that the Harmony has balconies and isn't that much outdated by the newest Crystal ship as the Horizon/Zenith are by the newer Millennium ships. There are enough people that like the size of the Horizon/Zenith and it just doesn't seem that new ships coming from any of the major lines are going to be smaller than 85,000 tons for awhile. The Horizon and Zenith aren't old ships, the problem is that new ships are coming out so frequently that even 3 and 4 year old ships are now being called "older" ships. I think the Horizon and Zenith can be convincingly refurbished and their size is almost a treasure in today's market of much larger ships. The lack of balconies, though, hurt them. I absolutely don't need them but a large percentage of pax prefer them so its an issue. In general, I think there are far too many new ships being introduced, too frequently, and that the cruise industry markets new, and I don't think newer is necessarily better. I like Celebrity's Century class best. I prefer HAL's Statendam class over the newest class. But more than newer, what's bothering me is bigger and bigger ships. So, the worth of the Horizon and Zenith at their size is that they offer a choice that is going away. And some don't mind that they are early 1990s vintage ships, and actually find some appeal to this as they are less flashy and feel more "ship like" and also have more access to deck space on all levels, front and aft, on the ship.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:21 PM
First Mate

Beware of the cabins in the aft below the kitchen galley on the Horizon and the Zenith. These cabins are very noise in the middle of the night with carts rolling around and machines going all night. Also there is a lot of vibration when pulling into port.

Made that mistake on the Horizon on my cruise to Bermuda, but will never....never.....never..... make that mistake again.

I thought that the Horizon had much better dining room food than the Summit, but the lunch buffet had weird times. When it was closing time.....the shades were down.

These ships could use a little more color and updating...it wouldn't take much, especially in the cabin decks. Very bland ships compared to the M class.

I'm not sure I would cruise on the Zenith or Horizon again, unless they spruced them up and I would definately not be under the kitchen galley again!

2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old August 2nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
First Mate

One more thing.....the Zenith is doing 4 and 5 day Caribbean itins in Nov...Dec....for 2005. Check Celebrity's Calendar Destinations.

Unfortunately they did away with the Summit's 10 and 11-night Ultimate Caribbean cruises. The last time I see these cruises will be in March and April of 2005. I'm very upset about this.

Too bad...these were great cruises and I was planning to book another one next year.

The Zenith on a 5-day Caribbean cruise just doesn't cut it with me. I guess I'm back on RCL for the longer Eastern Carib cruises. But only on the Radiance class ships.

2005 Millenium, Voyager of the Seas, Jewel of the Seas B2B
2004 Explorer of the Seas, Constellation (Canada/New England)
2003 Horizon (Bermuda), Summit
2002 Explorer of the Seas, Brilliance of the Seas (Caribbean)
Old August 6th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Passenger

It is my honest belief that they will have these ships operate 4-night and 5-night cruises year round. They are older and they do not offer the same amenities as the newer ships, so it makes sense that people would want to do quick "escapes" on them. That is what RCI did with Monarch, Majesty, and Sovereign.

I also think that Celebrity is going to soon announce a project to construct a new class of ships, and when these enter service, they will replace Horizon and Zenith.

You have to understand that even though we think the Horizon and Zenith are special, we are not the majority of cruises. The majority of cruisers want to do their 7-night cruises on newer, bigger, more amenity-filled ships.

As for the dry-docks of these ships, as of now they have been canceled. Why would they plunge millions and millions of dollars into ships that will probably only be in the fleet for a couple of more years?
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Familiar Face

Cruzcrazy, Century is coming to Florida to do the 10 and 11 night Ultimate Carib. Cheers!
Old August 16th, 2004, 06:43 PM
cruisinita

The Empress will not be doing Bermuda cruises next year. I searched for a June 2005 cruise and it is listed, but not with a Bermuda intinerary. Looks like the rumours are true that they will only be doing 5 night cruises. That's too bad, it was the only 7 day cruise with a balcony.