Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 20th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Mich
Default cream teas on the constellation

Can anyone please let me know if they do cream teas in the afternoon on the constellation. I know that this is an english tradition and it is done on the P&O ships but I am not sure about american cruise lines. Granny really likes her cream tea!!!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 20th, 2004, 01:13 PM
danalan

Default Re: cream teas on the constellation

Finally - someone who knows the difference between high tea and cream tea!

Celebrity serves afternoon tea, with tea sandwiches and cookies each afternoon. In the suites, your butler brings the tea cart to the suite door and serves your tea. I understand that the others are served in a dining room buffet style, but everyone said it was wonderful.

On our 14 night caribbean cruise last Feb, there was a special captains club afternoon tea, very fancy with gloved waiters and champagne and nicely served. It's a very nice touch and serves its purpose of tiding you over til dinner time.

From a friend of mine who operated a tea room for years - most Americans will ask for or refer to "afternoon tea" as "high tea" (thinking it means "high class") when it actually originated as more of a free afternoon meal for the working classes including meat and potatoes served free in pubs and served standing, thus the "high" tea reference - (served on high tables). She was always amused by those who tried to impress everyone saying they had been to high tea, when they were saying in reality was they had been to a working class meal served free in a tavern.
Old July 20th, 2004, 07:42 PM
adam childs

I do have to say that I am looking forward to the tea on my cruise 09/30 on the millie.

I grew up having afternoon tea with my grandmother and I have to say Americans have little or no clue about tea ettiquite (sp.?)

I just do hope the tea is not brewed in one of those large pots or they do not hand out the little tea bags ----- If they are going to do let it be right. ----Don't make me bring my Prince of Wales loose leaf.

You can let granny know that I love my cream teas too.
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:43 AM
Susan Hofer

We attended afternoon formal tea on the Mercury when we went to Alaska and it was quite nice. The guys were not so much for it but we girls liked it just fine. They were put off by the formality of it and having to share a table w/strangers instead of just us 4. The tea was brewed and served scones, pastries and fruit. You could get coffee. It was a nice break on a lazy sea day.
Old July 21st, 2004, 07:50 AM
danalan

Adam:

As I remember, when the butler served tea to our suite, it was already brewed and served from a silver tea dispenser. There were no leaves in the tea, so I assume it was brewed from tea bags.

At the captains club afternoon tea, they brought hot water along with a selection of Bigelow teabags to choose from. Sorry - not quite your loose P of W.

Maybe Celebrity could offer a mini-seminar on tea etiquette like they do on wine tasting? I enjoyed learning as much as I could from my friend, Sharon, but still feel like there's a lot of protocol I don't know.
Old July 22nd, 2004, 07:46 AM
seabee

No wonder we threw the tea over board, with haughty attitudes like that! Adam, you better learn to like tea from a bag if you want to enjoy your cream tea on a Celebrity ship. You don't hear me whining about the quality of "sweet tea" on the ship, do ya?? And by the way, Americans might not know much about tea etiquette but at least we can spell it! (just kidding you folks)
Old July 23rd, 2004, 02:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to Mich

Thank you for your comments, Granny will be in her element each day!!!
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Evelyn Richardson

I have travelled Celebrity several times. Yes they do have tea every day however there are differences.

Normal everyday tea is served in the "Lido" buffet every afternoon

A special "Elegant Tea" is served in the4 dining room one day during the cruise, for this they do ask that you "dress accordingly" it is a waiter served tea, little sandwiches, scones with cream and a selection of cakes etc. Very nice, I make a point of always being there for that.

However you can go to the Cova Cafe every afternnoon and get a small selection of cake, the goodies are free but you do have to pay a small sum for the tea. which does come in a little silver pot. You may also like to look in the cafe in the morning around 10 and see the selection of muffins, french breakfast pastries etc, again you pay only for the beverage

Just like the tea I always go to the Cova once a day

Have a wonderful time
Old July 27th, 2004, 07:42 AM
hcat

Never caught the tea on celeb--guess too busy at the pool. Will try for the elegant tea this time around on 9/20 Constellation to New Eng/Canada. Also have a small group going to Tea at the Hotel Frontenac inQuebec. Can't wait! If anyone else is on this ship, pls join us!