CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Celebrity v. Princess (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/211217-celebrity-v-princess.html)

Manny July 21st, 2004 01:38 PM

Celebrity v. Princess

Any thoughts on Celebrity v. Princess. We are planning a cruise to the Southern Car. in January and are comparing. Thanks.

JCL July 21st, 2004 01:52 PM

Re: Celebrity v. Princess

Been on both lines and like each one for their own styles. BUT I do like the Summit and the Spa Pool set up...............Just off the Summit in March, (2) and the Dawn is up for a 10 day in December. ( Dawn last Thanksgiving for 7 day) The one we're looking forward to is the Regatta in Feburary. Small ships might be the thing............
Other ships RCCL (1) Sea Princess it's first year. The Mercury twice..........
Good luck.

Genny July 21st, 2004 03:34 PM

I've been on both of them. Celebrity cruises were better with regard to food and service. Plus I hate the layout of the Princess cabins. We love balconies and larger cabins ie; mini-suites, the non-covered balconies leaving us totally exposed to the weather and the lack of privacy turned us totally off.

SueClark July 21st, 2004 07:45 PM

I also don't think there is any comparison in service. In the Premium cruiselines I would rank them: 1) Celebrity, 2) HAL, 3) Princess.

Sue

CruiseAholic July 22nd, 2004 07:34 PM

One important difference between the two lines is the fact that Princess offers the choice of restaurant-style seating (which I believe they call "Anytime Dining") or traditional seating, whereas Celebrity only offers traditional seating. Anytime Dining means that you just show up in the dining room at whatever time you want and you can dine with whoever you choose. Traditional seating means you have a set dining time, will be served by the same wait staff every night, and be seated with the same assigned tablemates.

There are pros and cons to both seating arrangements. Anytime Dining will gives you more freedom. You will be able to plan your dining time around your activities. You could probably stay in port a little longer since you won't have to rush back to shower and change in time for dinner. You could meet new people every night if you wish or dine alone.

On the down side, not having the same tablemates every night may not give you the time needed to get to know your fellow cruisers and develop friendships with them. Also, one of the bonuses of having the same wait staff every night is that they get to know your likes and dislikes within the first couple of days and they can often anticipate what you want without you having to ask, which creates a higher level of service.

Sorry to be so long-winded but I don't know if you've ever cruised before so I thought I should explain everything just in case. Hope this helps you make your decision.