Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 28th, 2004, 01:03 PM
pastordon

Default Mercury/ Mexican Riviera

My wife and I are Carnival veterans (5 cruises) but we've seen the East,West, and South Carb. I would like some comments on the Mexican Riviera trip (10-11 days) and on the Mercury Ship. Is it comparable to the Fantasy class or Spirit class? Any suggested excursions if we take the cruise? Is Jan. or Feb. a good time to sail the riviera. Thanks alot.
Sponsored Links
Old July 28th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Mercury/ Mexican Riviera

I'm booked for the 2-28-05 Mex Riviera on the Mercury. I've been to Mexico in early February and weather was excellent except for last day at sea coming back to San Diego, when it was windy and cool. I recommend the winter/spring as the best weather - not too hot or muggy - should be in the 80's rather than the 90's. I've never been on the Mercury, but was on her sister ship, the Galaxy. Also been on the Spirit and Elation. Mercury will be more Elation size; smaller than Spirit.
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:13 PM
pastordon

Default Re: Re: Mercury/ Mexican Riviera

Thanks LSTRONG for your imput. Anyone out there been on the Mercury or Mexican Riviera trip? What is the entertainment like on board? Excursions? Thanks for any help.
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:20 PM
Passenger

Did this 10 day last week of January 04. Weather is just right. As far as excursions go here is what I have done that I enjoyed, fishing in Cabo (caught a 180# marlin), golf in Acapulco, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta (Acapulco and Mazatlan are good, PV not), Las Caletas trip in PV (this was a great day and boat ride). I have also done horseback riding in Mazatlan with Randy with the kids (it was a fun day) Here is what I didn't like horseback riding in Cabo.

I can't comment on the shows (I didn't go) I liked the Mercury. I thought the food was good, service friendly, and I never felt crowded even by the pool. We had a sky suite and loved the deck and the butler.

Hope this helps, Erik
Old July 28th, 2004, 09:40 PM
pastordon

Thanks Erik! Sounds more and more like a good idea to book the Cruise. The price seems right and I have seen a few good threads concerning the Mercury although I've also read a few comments about vibration problems on that ship. Any other imput would be appreciated concerning that or any other issues .
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Passenger

Everything I have read refers to the vibration being aft. We were in 1221 which is kind of aft but high. They say the lower decks are affected more. While on the ship I didn't hear any passenger refer to it as a problem and I didn't notice it in the dining room. One of the stops I really liked was Ixtapa/Z (not going to even try to spell it) didn't do a tour just got off the ship and started walking the beach. Went as far as we could walk and found a beach cafe and sat there for 3 hours and then caught a cab back. Beautiful spot. There were very few kids (which doesn't matter to me), not a bunch of games or bothersome entertainment types trying to get you to participate in the bellyflop contest. I went on 3 cruises last year, all to mexico, this was the best one. With one exception, I really liked the open dining on Princess. With celebrity the early sitting was just too early and the late just too late. So we either went 15 min late or had the dinner served in our room. The only rough seas we encountered were on the return. I am taking a 12 day panama out of Galveston in Feb with Celebrity (Galaxy). I think if you make the decision to do this cruise you will very happy. Erik
Old July 29th, 2004, 06:44 AM
Susan Hofer

The only gripe we had with Mercury when we went to Alaska was that the shows for the late seating dinner were before dinner and very poorly attended. Since we always feel that the show after dinner is an integral part of our cruise experience, we were really disappointed. The entertainment was down a notch from what we had previously experienced with Celebrity. The production shows were very good with a lot of enthusiasm from the boys & girls. Perhaps this was a tempory abberation as the itinerary was so port intensive.

We addressed this in our comment cards and hope that Celebrity doesn't continue this trend of show scheduling. The ship itself is spotless, the food great and service excellent. We had no vibration problems in our midships outside cabin.
Old July 29th, 2004, 09:16 AM
David Starkey

Have not sailed the Mercury on the Mexico route, however I have sailed her 4 times to Alaska and twice to the Caribbean. Its an excellent ship and pricing is very fair.
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:51 PM
pastordon

Thanks everyone for your responses. Sounds like the vibration problem is not a big deal. The excursion info Erik was very helpful, as was the info about the weather in Jan-Feb. I would appreciate any additional comments from anyone who has taken this tour and I thought of one addtional question. We will be flying to San Diego from back East without transfers to the port, what's the best means of transportation to the port and how much will it cost?
Old July 29th, 2004, 12:55 PM
hcat

Mercury is a great ship--It has a very interesting art collection & I do not think the decor will be as garish as the Carnival ships...There's a wonderful T pool & spa area.
Old July 29th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Passenger

I drove to the port in SD. However, you can see the airport from the pier. If I had to fly in I would take a cab. Don't have any idea about the cost but considering the hassel with buses or shuttle vans whatever it is to get curb to curb service with some help with the luggage it would be worth it.
Old July 29th, 2004, 02:54 PM
pastordon

Thanks again! I had no idea that the airport and dock were close to each other.
Old July 29th, 2004, 07:18 PM
hcat

Suggest you fly a day ahead in case there are flight delays ( winter weather) & also can enjoy the city in advance of the cruise.
Old July 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Passenger

I live in San Diego; airport to pier not more than 10 minute cab ride. There is a Holiday Inn directly across the street from the pier if you want to come in a day early.
Old July 30th, 2004, 03:00 PM
pastordon

Default Re: Re: Re: Mercury/ Mexican Riviera

Both suggestions sound good. Can you walk to the pier from the Holiday Inn or do you need to shuttle over with your luggage?
Old July 30th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Mercury/ Mexican Riviera

It would depend on your luggage. Also, call Holiday Inn and see if they don't have a free shuttle. Basically you would be crossing about 4 lanes of traffic plus about 1/2 block and there are cross walks.
Old July 30th, 2004, 07:21 PM
pastordon

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Mercury/ Mexican Riviera

Thanks for all the valuable info!