Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:03 AM
Robie

Default Less than expected

Just took a cruise. You cannot imagine all the things that went wrong. Lost lugggage, stolen clothing and creditcard, pickpocted, broken camera, medical problems that resulted in needing plastic surgery. I could go on.. Some were Celebrity's fault, some were Delta airlines, and some were just bad luck. Upon returning home, I called customer service to recount the experience of the trip from hell. I was told that I would receive coupons (value $700= 10% of the cost of cruise package)My mail just arrived. I got 2 coupons worth $275. My travel agent thought that I really deserved a free cruise. When I called customer service they just gave me a run around. I give up and will not cruise on Celebrity. I am not new to cruising. I have been taking cruises for about 20 years and am a select Captain's Club member. Celebrity's product and customer service is less than accepatable. It doesn't come close to meeting my expectatons. I am presently recovering from the surgery and am interested in any suggestions about how I should handle my numerous claims against the airline and cruiseline.
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2004, 11:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Less than expected

Could you elaborate on what things were Celebrity's fault. Was the luggage lost while being transferred to the ship or the clothing and credit card stolen onboard? Did your accident happen while you were on the cruise or did it happen on land?

How was your camera broken? Were you a victim of the pickpocketing while you were on the ship?

If these things didn't happen on the ship then I can't see how Celebrity can have any responsibility and any refunds, coupons or discounts are quite nice, but by no means required of them, regardless of your Captains Club status.

If they did occur on the ship then you definitely have a legitimate issue.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 31st, 2004, 01:18 PM
Passenger

I agree. It is kind of difficult to offer suggestions without knowing a little bit more about the problems you encountered. Sorry your trip was so horrible!
Old July 31st, 2004, 03:46 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Less than expected

Wouldn't travel insurance have covered some of this?
Frank-in-CA
Old July 31st, 2004, 06:35 PM
hcat

So please tell us the story.
Old July 31st, 2004, 08:47 PM
First Mate

As for handeling any "claims" ... If I were to play word association, "Claim" and "Lawyer" seem to go together.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old August 1st, 2004, 11:30 AM
Lillykat

It would help to know more about your story to tell you who to contact and if there is anything you can do.
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:12 AM
Horseracer

My advice is to contact a lawyer. If you wish, post a list of what happened here and try to leave the anger and insinuations out. You will get a much better response if you stick to the facts. Accept the answers as to what might by fall under Celebrity's responsibilities, what belongs to Delta, and what is simply bad luck.

Your rights to file suit are somewhat limited in time and jurisdiction. Any business entity, no matter how good their reputation, can have a bad day or suffer the damages of employees who behave inappropriately. Pay for your legal advice at first to make sure you get an honest opinion as to whether or not you have a case. It is going to be a long, difficult, and emotional process if you choose to proceed.
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:09 AM
danalan

Did you have cruise insurance? Because my parents are elderly with many health problems and I never know up til the exact minute I leave if I can actually go we usually buy the highest level offered by travel guard in case of cancellation.

Last winter I got a mystery viral infection in a scratch while in the caribbean - picked up from who knows where, with swelling and fever and an unexplained rash but was treated successfully by the medical staff while at sea, including two IV treatments and rounds of anti-biotics and anti-viral medication. It was pretty scary, but the staff was highly competent - verified by my doctor when I returned home. Because my costs were "out of network" my group coverage paid nothing for these costs, but my travel guard insurance picked up the tab 100% which was substantially more than we paid for the insurance in the first place.

I won't travel now without it
Old August 4th, 2004, 11:18 AM
DaveHEA

Your cruise cost $7000? That's a pretty nifty suite you got there.
Old August 4th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Total Jackass

This person is obviously jinxed and should never travel again.......unless.........well you could go to Haiti and have a witch doctor perform some sort of ceremony involving chickens and some other disgusting things and then perhaps you could try a 3 day Bahamas cruise from Port Canaveral just to see it the ritual took.
Old August 4th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Admiral

I think you need to be a whole lot more specific about who what where and when. You won't get much sympathy or any kind of advice without specifics.
Who lost your lugage and when? Was it recovered and when?
Who stole your clothes? out of the lost suitcase, out of your state room?
Same for credit card. Where was it stolen? Was it taken from your stateroom, your pocket or did you leave it somewhere?
Who broke your camera? How does that relate to Celebrity customer service.
How / why did you need medical attention. Illness, injury? Onboard ,off ship? Did you seek medical treatment onboard? How was that?
Pickpocketed? On shore , onboard ship. What was lost .

Can't begin to comprehend a problem with a general "rant" and I can understand why you are not getting anywhere with customer service if your complaints were similarly written or spoken.
Old August 4th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Passenger

Well I think it's obvious that this was either a bogus post or the person is really starving for attention. Didn't sound right to me from the beginning.

Celebrity's Horizon * Bermuda '99
Celebrity's Century * Western Carribbean '01
Celebrity's Zenith *Bermuda - '04
Old August 5th, 2004, 04:39 PM
First Mate

>Because my costs were "out of network" my group coverage paid nothing for these costs, but my travel guard insurance picked up the tab 100% which was substantially more than we paid for the insurance in the first place.<

I recently took the Travel Guard insurance that acts as a supplemental policy to my group insurance. It was cheaper to go this way and I was certain my group insurance back home would do the same thing yours did. I had to file with my insurance first and then show Travel Guard that they paid nothing before they would pay me. To my surprise, my insurance classified it as an emergency (we were on a Baltic cruise and surely "out of network"). Travel Guard had to only pay the 20% that my group insurance didn't pay.

Sometimes my insurance bounces stuff for the silliest reasons and I have to fight tooth and nail to finally get them to pay. And here, they surprised the heck out of me. Go figure.
Frank-in-CA
Old August 6th, 2004, 07:35 AM
danalan

We had the Travel Guard payment in less than two weeks from filing the claim, which I filed within a few days after the cruise. I had the payment before the the billing from my credit card for my onboard charges came.

I was also very pleased and impressed with the medical staff on the Zenith. There was some type of upper respiratory infection going around among a lot of the older passengers that they were dealing with at the same time, but they were always attentive and apparently up to date with their medical knowledge. So much for thinking those onboard doctors and nurses are just the ones who can't get a real job somewhere else.
Old August 6th, 2004, 12:59 PM
Evelyn Richardson

I wonder where the Customer Service stafff are located. Recently I saw a program on TV that showed many Customer Service staff of US based well known companies were in fact based in India , and all of them answered with fake American names, like "Jack" or "Olivia" etc.

None of them had any contact with the parent company, all they had was a terminal and a phone headset. If the answer to your question is not on the terminal they are "all at sea" (sorry - just my sense of humour).

Must admit I do wonder if the post was fake. It did seem too many things happened for one trip, no details were given, and no evidence like "I went to the Guest Relations etc etc"

Earlier this year my luggage was delayed coming off the ship, I had to leave to catch my plane, the company handling the luggage at the dock (Vancouver), picked up the luggage, and then put it on another cruise line ship going to Alaska. After being returned to the port, it laid around in a warehouse, before being sent to me - yes it had been forced by a would be thief, but all that was there were my clothes and in the end nothing was taken.

Annoying -but the fault was not Celebrity's (except fot the delay coming off the ship for which there was no reason), the fault lay with the sub contractor handling the luggage once it was off the ship and it certainly sounds as though some of the things being attributed to Celebrity belong to some one else instead.
Old August 6th, 2004, 01:07 PM
Admiral

.......hmmmm still no response from the original poster, makes one wonder..........
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:10 PM
Robie

Luggage was missing when we got to the port. Cruiseline said that they knew that my luggage was left at JKF. They said that it was happening very often. The airline leaves the luggage behind so that they can deliver cargo. Cruiseline claims it was the airline and even though I booked the entire cruise and air with Celebrity , Celebrity refuses to take any blame. Celebrity gave us 2 teeshirts and a toiletry kit. After 4 days, we found out that other people who had also lost luggage were getting $$$ in the shipstore and free laundry. There were 80+ pieces of luggage missing on this sailing. I purchased some items for which Celebrity did not and has not paid me. The selection was extremely limited. There were NO ladies shorts, bathing suits, or bras. Also, all the long pants were very long and there is no alterations. I don't sew. I kept washing out the few things that I did have. I took a lot of showers. I watched people in the pool with envy- I had no bathingsuit. When my lugagge arrived almost a week later, it was open and several things were missing - never to be found again. The pickpocket was either on the pier in Barcelona or on the ship. The ship's infirmary refused to help with testing the blood sugar. Claimed that they didn't have the equipment. I have been in contact with Celebrity. The guest relations rep that I was directed to responded by just sending me some coupons ($275) toward a future cruise which I did not want. I do not want to cruise. It took a lot of time, but I finally got a place to file my claims against the cruiseline, the airline. This is just a piece of my story. The itinerary was not the best. Too many places were closed on our trip. We were in Nice ( Sun. closed), Florence(Mon. museums closed),Rome(Tues. holiday Vatican museums and stores closed)Athens (Sun closed) and Venice (civic museums on strike) It was the worst trip. I really feel like I got cheated out of my vacation.
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Robie

Default Re: Re: Re: Less than expected

Travel insurance will only pay off after the claim is settled with the airline/cruiseline. Also, you must have original receipts for all items. I have some, but .... And, of course they depreciate. As for the pickpocket, no luck. I was covered for theft if it involved assault. Their definition is you not only get your money taken, you also need a medical report to go with it. Injury must go with insult.
Old August 11th, 2004, 03:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

The cruiseline may be responsible for your lost luggage (or maybe it is the airlines fault), but if you read your cruise contract it severely limits their liability in this area. You may be able to convince them to take responsiibility and pay you for the lost luggage, however I wouldn't expect too much reimbursement due to the limitations stated in the contract.

I don't see how the pickpockets are the cruiseline's fault regardless of whether it happened on the pier or on the ship. Theft happens everywhere and is pretty much just an unfortunate fact of life.

I also don't think the cruiseline is responsible for the attractions in port being closed. It's unfortunate that you had to miss out on some of the attractions that you wanted to see, but it's not something the cruiseline had any control over.

I realize you said there is more to your story, however based on what you have posted here, I don't think you can expect too much out of the cruiseline other than maybe limited payment for the lost luggage. I think the $275 coupons are a nice gesture of goodwill on the part of the cruiseline.

Regardless of who's responsible, I'm sorry you had a bad cruise. I have had a few bad ones in the past and know how disappointing that can be.
Old August 11th, 2004, 05:53 PM
jamiegunter

That really sucks, sorry you had a bad time. I have started packing a change of clothes and our bathing suits last two cruises just in case. You never now whats gonna happen. Especially bad if shops are closed in the ports you are visiting. Good luck with your next vacation.
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Josie

I can't believe someone would watch people with envy because they didn't have a bathing suit because their luggage was lost..... I think I'd take the $50-100 and buy myself a bathing suit and make the best of it, hoping I might get some reimbursement when I got home.....!
I'm sorry you had a bad time, but I don't think alot of that is Celebrity's fault. As far as the itinerary goes, and things being closed, you might have checked alot of that on-line before you booked the cruise.
Old August 14th, 2004, 09:03 PM
First Mate

I don't know what to say. I'm about to go on my first cruise ever. Next month, and it's on Celebrity. I will not be taking a plane. I live in Baltimore and the ship leaves from Baltimore.

I wonder if you can file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau? Just a thought.

~Tamie
Old August 21st, 2004, 05:05 AM
RObie

The cruise ship had no Bathing suits available for sale on the ship. Since we left port on a Saturday and were promised our luggage the next day. It didn't come for almost a week later. Most of the ports we visited were closed due to holidays and Sundays or just too hard to find a store that sold bathing suits.
Old August 21st, 2004, 04:10 PM
hcat

I think the luggage issue needs to be redressed with the airline--speak to your TA & your atty. What airline was its so we can avoid using it ? As to medical stuff--I pack all my supplies & pills & take it with m,e (do not inject insulin so I am not limited by what I can take in the carry on) Also pack bathing suit, & extra clothes in the overnight bags & cross pack all luggage. The worst thing here is the order of the ports--other than the strike this is info the cruise line should be in the know about & inform the pasengers before they book.. That's the most disgraceful part. Should not have to research all this on your own. They should compensate you for that-- Hope you cruise again--try Celeb & you may have a much better time! Just a combo of bad luck!
Old August 21st, 2004, 04:12 PM
hcat

OOPS! Just realized this was the Celeb thread not Royall but still think you should try another cruise with them.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 09:51 AM
Babette

When buying travel insurance, comparison shop. The cheaper policies are secondary coverage, which means you must submit your claims through your health insurer first, be turned down, then submit to your travel insurance company.

The more expensive policies are primary, meaning they will be the first to pay.

On the issue of luggage, it's the airline's fault.

I can't imagine not having required medical supplies in one's carryon.

I've never not seen ladies bathingsuite and shorts not available on any Celebrity ship.
Perhaps they just weren't the correct size?

My usual travel insurance company provides coverage for delayed baggage, so I can purchase whatever necessities I needed for which they would reimburse me.

There's not much here which I see is the cruiseline's fault.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 06:12 PM
hcat

What is your insurance co?--delayed baggage is a good coverage to have.
Old August 22nd, 2004, 07:12 PM
First Mate

There are a variety that one can get quotes for and information about at:
http://insuremytrip.com/

I've used Travel Guard and Travel Insured International and both have paid what I expected them to pay. In one case, we were only on the 5th day of an 18 day cruise and they prorated the lost days and covered the return expenses.
Frank-in-CA
Old September 5th, 2004, 09:58 PM
newmexicoNita

Without insurance I don't know what you expect. You are upset with customer service, read the Princess website, NCL's or any other. Seems everyone thinks customer service will solve all the problems. If the cruise costs $7000.00 you must have been,either in a very upscale suite or a very long cruise, if not both. A bad vacation can be a nighmare, but most of the time no one person or company is at fault; things happen. Hopefully next time you will have a beter experience.

NMNitra