Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:37 PM
Sade

Default bring iron or not? Help

I have read these boards but still not clear on iron. I understand about the laundry service, but what about taking an iron to just press out the things that got wrinkled by packing. Will they allow you to bring an iron on board? It could get expensive sending out everything that just needs a quick press. Sailing on Horizon, 8-21-04, so would appreciate some answers. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old July 31st, 2004, 07:46 PM
AR

Default Re: bring iron or not? Help

The rules are very clear. Irons are not allowed in staterooms because they are considered fire hazards. I'm sure some people bring them despite the rules, but they're prohibited.

They're also heavy, and in the opinion of at least one male (me), completely unnecessary. Many others will answer with news of all sorts of aerosols that apparently do the job adequately. So does hanging stuff in a steamy shower.

Our preference is to back exceptionally light, bring no irons, curlers, spray cans or duct tape, and use the ship's laundry to refresh the things we bring. It's not that expensive, and being able to pack light is worth a few bucks.
Old July 31st, 2004, 08:44 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: bring iron or not? Help

I'm with you AR. The biggest drawback to draggin an iron around in your luggage is the weight. Besides, it's totally unnescessary.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old July 31st, 2004, 10:19 PM
Passenger

My family and I own a travel steamer and have always used that to remove the wrinkles due to packing. Of course, if needed the ship's facilities are available also. Happy cruising!

Celebrity's Horizon * Bermuda '99
Celebrity's Century * Western Carribbean '01
Celebrity's Zenith *Bermuda - '04
Old August 1st, 2004, 10:24 AM
Sade

Thanks for yor replies,AR, but you said something I was curious about. "The Rules". I booked through a travel agent, and they said nothing. Are these rules posted somewhere? I just want to be imformed, but this is the first I've heard this, which is why I posted this message about the iron. Sade
Old August 1st, 2004, 07:09 PM
AR

Yes, I saw the rule once deep in the recesses of Celebrity's website. I believe it's an industry-wide rule. Maybe somebody knows exactly where to pinpoint the reference on the website.

One of the few real dangers at sea (at least these days) is fire. Inadvertently leaving an iron plugged in and having it set a blaze is frightening. I suspect that the cruise lines are also thinking of the ships' power capacity. Irons pull a lot of juice, and I don't know what sort of hiccup the power system would have if everybody plugged one in a half hour before dinner.

In the past, strings about irons have triggered all sorts of indignant complaints to the effect that if irons are a fire hazard, then so are things like other electrical gizmos, smoking and maybe even sex. Me, I just can't get into the controversy. I said on another post recently that if somethings got a wrinkle, ignore it. Everybody else will. If somebody takes a photo of you and the wrinkle shows up, have the photo digitally altered when you get home.
Old August 2nd, 2004, 07:58 AM
danalan

We take along a small, folding travel iron that weighs just a few ounces. (The handle folds down flat)

We asked on our first cruise and were cautioned about the fire hazard and told not to leave plugged in. It was always stowed away when not in use.

For the most part, you can hang your clothes in the bathroom while you shower and the steam will remove most of the wrinkles. Also try to take things that don't wrinkle badly and unpack and hang clothes immediately on arrival. Following this, in a 14 day cruise, I think we used the iron two times at most.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 04:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

I take a steamer with me wherever we go. Fantastic way to get the wrinkles out quickly, easily. Best investment I ever made
Old August 3rd, 2004, 06:19 PM
hcat

steamer is better & lighter & I believe permissible.
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:21 PM
Total Jackass

I always pack a hefty garbage sack in my luggage because they can be used as a rain coat and with the right belt cinched around the waist it becomes instant formal wear. If it seems a little big you can always use the hair dryer to melt it to your shape. Then once the cruise is over you can fill it with any drugs you purchased down in the islands and wrap duct tape around it. The drug sniffing dogs in customs will never find you out.
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:03 PM
PRITE

Hi Sade. I always carry a portable iron on board. Some ships have a deal that you pay one price and they will press everyhting whenever you want. In any case, your travel agent can definitely find out the answers to your questions. She can call them.. My agent always does this. Happy travels!
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:07 PM
PRITE

Default Re: Re: Re: bring iron or not? Help

I like your style!
Old August 10th, 2004, 09:05 PM
janz

Travel irons are very light. It is SUGGESTED that you do not use them. People are allowed however to SMOKE in their cabins. I always bring my travel iron and our cabin attendents have never said a word.
Old August 11th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I believe irons are prohibited by all the cruiselines. That being said, however, I always bring one and have never had a problem getting it aboard or leaving it in plain view in the cabin. I bring the kind with the automated shutoff and I never leave it unattended until it has completely cooled down.

Post Edited (08-11-04 15:04)
Old August 15th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Beginner

If anyone needs to purchase a steamer they are available on Amazon.com. They have a Sunbeam that is 19.99 with free shipping
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:58 PM
BrooklynTherapist

Ok, we snuck an iron onboard. We also brought along a travel steamer and I'm glad we did. Our travel iron was terrible and I could've gotten better results by sitting on my clothing. The steamer was a God-send. It worked well and helped us to avoid the ridiculous prices Celebrity charges for pressing. Get a good steamer & leave the iron at home.
Old August 24th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Admiral

I wanted to post for you the web site for Celebrity's laundry prices and you will find that their prices are not ridiculous or outrageous.

Don

http://www.celebrity.com/prepare/faq...sid=76&fid=365

Post Edited (08-24-04 09:09)
Old August 24th, 2004, 11:00 PM
BrooklynTherapist

Receiving a bill for nearly $10 to press a light dress seems ridiculous to me.
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:31 AM
Admiral

The only point I was trying to make is that the prices are about the same as we pay at home. All anyone has to do is look and compare.

Don