Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:08 AM
AJ

Default Bringing Wine onboard

No I do not want to start all the old corkage debate etc but has anyone brough champagne on board and drank it throughout the cruise in their suite - we will be in a Sky Suite in April and a Celebrity Suite in September. I have a prefered brand X do not do and I do not want to pay the prices they charge for what they do offer.
Also keen to here about experiences own wine in the suite as we will be in Napa Valley for a few days in Sept before our cruise

Ta

AJ
Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2004, 10:41 PM
daveS

Default Re: Bringing Wine onboard

We crusied on the Century last September and I brought 9 bottles with me. Some of the champagne and wine we brought to dinnner and shared with our table mates, the rest we consumed in our suite (Royal Suite). Never had any problems at all, paid corkage for that which we consumed at dinner. Our butler even brought extra glasses so we could invite some peopel we met to our room for cocktails before dinner.

Met one couple who brough 17 bottles with them!
Old August 4th, 2004, 12:51 AM
Big Apple

You may bring wine on board to include champagne and may consume in your room.I have never brought less than 3 bottles and then I replenish at first duty free port. You may bring in your carry on luggage in order not to break any bottles.On our last Holland cruise saw a man wheel in a case of champagne and case of beer .No problem.Have found that liquor should be packed in checked bags wrapped in bubble wrap.This is where my beer goes also.
Old August 4th, 2004, 06:59 AM
AnthonyF

So it is okay to bring in carry on, properly wrapped?? Excuse my ignorance as it is my first cruise. Probably will bring 2-3 bottles. Will also pack bottled in regular suitcase for spouse.

Thanks,
Old August 4th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Big Apple

Default Re: Re: Bringing Wine onboard

Absolutelly,go for it.You will save up to 3 times what you would pay on the ship for same bottle.Wine costs am talking about.
Old August 4th, 2004, 03:17 PM
AJ

Default Re: Re: Re: Bringing Wine onboard

Thanks for the advice - will stock up ahead and also at some of the ports. Spirits I am less concerned about - I think you call that liquor - but I was thinking a day sipping wine whilst watching the world float by outside - what could be better. Dreamin g laready and that trip is 365+days away. Easter will be a little more stressful as teenager is with me - on second thoughts - load up the barrell for that one
AJ
Summitt]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=04&year=2005&day=1&hour=15:00[/img]
Infinity]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=09&year=2005&day=3&hour=16:00[/img]
Old August 5th, 2004, 05:53 AM
minpa

Dont forget there are some good boxed wine selections (3 to 5 liter sizes) out there, and they pack great. We took these as an experiment to avoid the decorking charges and it worked out great for us, plus lasted the whole 10 days.
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Passenger

How can one drink 18 bottles of wine on a 7-day cruise? I'd puke.
Old August 5th, 2004, 01:08 PM
kubies

What is the corking charge on Celebrity ships? Taking our first Celebrity cruise next march but have cruised many time on Princess and on Holland America.
Old August 5th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Jeanne&Ellis

Last April on Celebrity Summit corkage was $12. a bottle at dinner.

Old August 7th, 2004, 11:08 AM
JudyLynne

Is the frefrigerator in the room big enough to store wine or wine boxes? It sounds like it is OK to pack in your checked in luggage. I wondered about that.
Old August 7th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Total Jackass

I have heard that if the Wine you bring on boar has a screw off cap as opposed to a cork they do not charge the corkage fee and anyone tacky enough to bring their own wine on board should just go ahead and get the screw off cap anyway. A little Mad Dog or Boones Farm Wine with your Lobster Tail?
Old August 7th, 2004, 09:54 PM
First Mate

The corkage fee on Celebrity has recently been raised to $15 per bottle.

Old August 8th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Familiar Face

Corkage fee on Horizon/Bermuda last week was $20 per bottle!! Cheers!
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:16 PM
The Wine Pro

To Total Jackass:

Screw cap wines are coming to the US in a big way, especially from Australia and New Zealand. They offer the best enclosure in the world for preserving wine's freshness. You should try them some time(it is not like the old days).
Old August 12th, 2004, 11:54 AM
minpa

Just wanted to clarify that the boxed wine we purchased and brought on board was in no way the classic scew off cap "wine" such as Boones Farm and the likes. This option worked out great for those lazy afternoons on the veranda watching the flying fish and ships as well as in the evening and other in cabin events! We also brought two bottles of Austi Spumante and had a great time with those (sorry to offend the real Champagne lovers out there).
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Josie

I always enjoy getting the latest updates on wine on board. My husband and I drink ONLY wine, so to that person who wondered who could drink 18 bottles in 10 days, I'm here to say, we could. A bottle through the afternoon, a glass while we get ready for dinner, we don't bring to dinner (we always purchase in dining room) but sometimes a glass after dinner if we are up later for a show.

Sometimes we have had staff at embarkation try to take it from us (thinking it "liquor") but we always manage to point out to them their own policy - that wine and champagne are ok to bring on board.
Old August 13th, 2004, 02:07 AM
Total Jackass

Personally I have nothing against boxed wine. The Asti Spumante is another story. I got really drunk one night when I was 17....It was one of the first times I ever got drunk and I got sick all over my mothers brand new carpeting. She just had it put in 3 days before and it was cream colored. I got sick all the way up the stairs and then passed out. Everyone was asleep when I got home so the vomit sat there all night and dried on the carpet. I woke up the next morning to her screaming at the top of her lungs and my father made me go to work with my uncle Larry at a construction site that morning cleaning up concrete next to a jackhammer. This is why I despise Asti Spumante.
Old August 13th, 2004, 07:59 AM
danalan

Josie:

Do I understand you correctly, that liquor is confiscated when you come on board (returned at the end of the trip), but wine and champagne is not?

When we sailed on the Zenith, our understanding was that no alchohol could be brought on board. Does this only mean the hard stuff is confiscated?

Alan
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Josie

I can't speak for all cruise lines but for Princess and Celebrity - wine and champagne are ok - "hard liquor" is not. Beer is ok too.
Old August 15th, 2004, 03:36 PM
jeroen & jan

"Sometimes we have had staff at embarkation try to take it from us (thinking it "liquor") but we always manage to point out to them their own policy - that wine and champagne are ok to bring on board."

This I read 4 articles up... where can I find the policy regarding this subject?
We're first time cruisers in about 3 weeks and start in Rome, so would like to take a few good Italian wines...

Anyone?
Old August 16th, 2004, 07:13 AM
Josie

I think you will find this policy in the small fine print at the end of your cruise contract.