Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:05 AM
AnthonyF

Default First-timers questions.... Century Eastern & General

1. Do you pay for Expresso's & Lattes in the coffee shop???

2. When in Port (i.e. San Juan 4:30 - 12:30) Do people disembark a few hours, return for dinner and then maybe go off again?

3. How far ahead can you get your room assignment (booked on August 1 for November 27)?

4.What Excursions are worth pre-booking? Should I do it myself directly or through the ship? Should I just play it by ear?

5. What about seasickness???? What precautions????

6. Do they offer Yoga, Aerobics, Fitness classes???? Do they charge extra for them?

7. What outside drinks & spa cost extra????

Thanks for the help....
Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Admiral

Default Re: First-timers questions.... Century Eastern & Genera

1) yes
2)absolutely
3) if you booked a guarantee thereis a possibility you will not know until embarkation.
4) ports are Pureto Rico, St Thomas and St Martin correct? In San Juan, visit Old San Juan and elMorro or San Cristobal forts, shops ,clubs and restaurants. Perhaps visit Rain forest.
In St Thomas shopping in Charlotte Amoile , Beaches (Maegens Bay, Coki Beach, Saphire Bay)
In St Martins Shopping on Phillipsburg. Tour to French side. Beaches - Orient and Dawn Beach. Snorkelling Pinel Island.
All these ports are easily "doable" on your own.
5) Sea sickness. Do you get car sick or motion sick on amuesment rides? If yes, you might get seasick , if no you probably will not. Bring Dramamine (non drowsy), or Bonine. Take raw ginger or use seabands. All but ginger available in any pharmacy , ginger from a health food store.
6) Some are free , some have a charge.
7) Alcohol and sodas are extra. Coffee, tea, ice tea, lemonade , breakfast juices are free.
7a) Spa costs. virtually all spa and beauty treatments and procedures are at extra cost (and are usually quite pricy) Look for spa specials on in port days.
Enjoy your cruise
Old August 5th, 2004, 02:37 PM
AnthonyF

Default Re: Re: First-timers questions.... Century Eastern & Ge

Thanks,

Anthony
Old August 5th, 2004, 02:46 PM
AnthonyF

Another question.....

Kids (8 & 11) can order off either children's or regular menus?
Old August 5th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Admiral

In twelve cruises we have never sat with kids for dinner. I don't know if there is a childrens menu. Certainly there are "basics " available, but yes they can certainly order anything and everything they want off the regular adult menu.
Old August 5th, 2004, 04:21 PM
AnthonyF

Shall I mention our kids are perfectly behaved and will regale all guests at the table with interesting tales and anecdotes (nudge nudge, wink wink).

They will behave themselves really........
Old August 5th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Admiral

I would be pleased to sit with your children and hear their tales and stories of their day from the child point of view. I wasn't complaining in any way about kids, we have simply never been put with a family that had kids .
Here are a couple of more things with the kids. Celebrity serves what they call "tea" in their Lido deck buffets in the mid/late afternoon. It is really a light snack service. They serve great cookies that go over big with the kids. Celebrity (on most ships) also opens an icecream service for a couple of hours in the afternoon. Again a hit with kids.
You can also get cookies and other stuff like that served in the room by room service.

You mentioned Spa services. Probably the most affordable spa service is the thelasotherapy pool. This is something to do without the kids, I suggest late afternoon, before dinner. This is a wonderful large hot tub type pool with various stations to massage every part of your body. A "circuit" takes about 20 minutes. It is a slice of heaven . Runs about $15 if you go individual days but can be bought as an unlimited package for a much lower price per day. We did it 14 days in a row on Mercury and plan to do it every day on Century in April.
Old August 5th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Passenger

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not quite sure- I think it depends on the ship, time of year, etc.
4. I've booked excursions through the ship (we went snorkling in St. Thomas) and it was excellent. Very well run and overall a great experience.
5. It bothers some and not others. There are various solutions available on board such as the patch that goes behind the ear, the wrist straps, and pills. I would just play it by ear. You may have a problem with it, you may not.
6. Absolutely. Most of the classes are free. There are a select few that cost $5-$10.
7. Soda, alcoholic beverages and appointments at the spa (massages, etc.) do cost extra. The prices are a little high, but not so bad if you think about the situation- you're at sea experiencing all of this, not on land.

I hope I answered all of your questions.
Happy cruising.

Celebrity's Horizon * Bermuda '99
Celebrity's Century * Western Carribbean '01
Celebrity's Zenith *Bermuda - '04
Old August 8th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Captain

I see you like Bermuda...in regard to seasickness...I do most of the time
take a non=drowsy Dramamine just in case as I'm prone to motion sickness.
I've heard the cruise to Bermude encounters some pretty heavy seas
at times...what has your experience been?
Old August 9th, 2004, 02:07 PM
jamiegunter

We were on the Century in April and did the eastern. Email me if you have any other questions. I will tell you this that it is very possible to have some rough seas going to Suan Juan. We had rough seas and high winds, the crew said it was normal. So if you get motion sickness, I would make sure you get the patch. We pre booked all excursions, which was nice. Best part is you can pay for them ahead of time, and not have it on your bill at end of cruise Let me know if you have any questions.
Jill
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:16 PM
PRITE

Dear Anthony, We have been on 31 cruises and we not only get our room assignment before we go, but we also choose the room we want {not near stairs or elevator, and not below theaters or disco}. We simply go to any travel agency and get a booklet {free} of our cruise. Then we call our travel agent and ask her to check to see if the room we chose from the ship's layout is available. If your travel agent can't do that, then switch agents next time!
Old August 10th, 2004, 12:51 PM
PRITE

Booking excursions is fine, but very costly, especially if you have kids. We have learned to find out where the best shopping, beaches and sights are, then jump in a taxi and go.
We often see those on the excursions when we go out on our own and know we can be more flexible with our schedules and don't have to stick to their times. You will save more than 60 percent! The only time you really need an excursion is in a place like Colombia, or Belize where we found it was not easy to get around and the transportation was unreliable.
Be sure you settle on a price with the taxi driver first and always ask if there are taxis to take you back to the ship at a later time. Sometimes he will offer to come back for you, but make sure you don't pay him til he returns for you.
Bon Voyage from a seasoned traveler!