Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 5th, 2004, 05:27 PM
First Mate

Default Phone call from Celebrity

I received a phone call today from Celebrity following up on my letter. They stated that I should have been able to charge any amount of gratuity to my cabin account and/or eliminate any of them. The pursers office on the Constellation during our May voyage would only let me charge the suggested amounts and wouldn't allow any changes. If I eliminated any, like I wanted to do for the Assistant Chief Housekeeper, they wouldn't allow me to charge any. Plus, I had to give any extra, over and above the suggested amount, in cash to those people. The woman I talked to claimed it wasn't the case but when I tried to tie her down to give me a letter to that effect on Celebrity letterhead that I could show the purser on my next cruise, she first tried to refer me to the web site, which only lists suggested amounts and then said she'd contact special services and see what they could send me.

We also went round and round about the Assistant Chief Housekeeper but she couldn't tell me much other than that person's duties. She did say that there was no Assistant Room Steward. She said if we saw anyone else, they must have been another room steward helping out or covering for our room steward. That's not what others have said on various web sites. I told her that I'd rather tip that assistant room steward than a Assistant Chief Housekeeper that I never saw.

That is the latest official word from Celebrity's corporate office. But it sounded like some clerk that was trying to do PR work but wasn't prepared for my questions. It will be interesting if I get any of this in writing from Celebrity.
Frank-in-CA
Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2004, 08:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Phone call from Celebrity

The asst chief housekeeper makes sure your cabin steward is doing their job. They also will take care of any problems that occur. Most room stewards have an assistant and the tip for the room steward covers the asst.. toom steward.
Since your room steward picks up the envelope for the Chief housekeeper, I believe that if you don't leave one, the room steward has to make up the missing tip. I know I heard that somewhere - but don't know how accurate it is. It does seem logical since you usually give the envelope directly to the waiter, asst. waiter, and asst. maitre'd. You leave your envelope for your room steward and a.c.h. in the room.

Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old August 6th, 2004, 09:05 PM
Familiar Face

Default Re: Phone call from Celebrity

On our Horizon cruise last week the cruise director stated in his talk that the envelope for the Asst. Chief Housekeeper is not an individual. These tips are pooled for all the people busting their butts behind the scenes (my words not his ) i.e. the luggage handlers, window washers, public area cleaners. All the people we take for granted but would have a lousy time without.