Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Total Jackass

Default Please be careful!

I agree that this webe and others like it are a great source of information. I love coming in here and reading some of the questions and answers. I even answer some in a serious manner. There are some problems though. When you are dealing with peoples opinions and perceptions, everyone is different. I have seen some answers that are just blatantly incorrect and I have seen some that are more a matter of opinion than fact. This gets into a very dangerous area. I think its natural for people to scan through the dozens of answers and find the one or few that they want to believe is true but may not actually be true. I think this is unfortunate. I believe some people come on here and based on information they receive from these posts they form totally unrealistic expectations about what will or wont happen on their cruise. I have learned over time that every sailing is different and every persons situation is different. The other point I would like to make is part of the excitement of travelling is the unknown and the unexpected. If your whole vacation is scripted and you know, or think you know, every single thing that will happen then why even go in the first place? On my last cruise I came to this website and I was given incorrect information that caused me a minor inconvenience. When I returned from my trip I looked back at the post and among all the rambling answers with past cruise grandiosity and bragging the answer was found in a post that simply said......"NO". There was nothing in that post that mentioned the person 20,000 past cruises or their up and coming cruise in 2017. There was nothing mentioned about how how the carpeting in the skysuite was a few shades darker than it should have been. No was the answer and I missed it because I was so impressed that CruiseKnowitall771 had been on 50+ cruises so I went with that one. Oh well you live and you learn.
Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Please be careful!

Excellent point. So much of this is subjective (ie. quality of food, service, whether one cruise line is better than another). However, I like reading various opinions so I can form one on my own when I get on the ship and then provide my two cents when I get back. The big draw for me is the information that I get regarding basics like suggested beaches to go to, private tours that are consistently rated high, etc.
Old August 11th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Beginner

Total Jackass - you crack me up.
Old August 11th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Below is copied and pasted from the CruiseMates User Agreement.... everyone really should read it... it actually says something<G>

CruiseMates.com is designed to help readers obtain information about cruising and cruise ships and discuss ways to enhance their sea-going vacations. This information is sometimes provided by our staff and sometimes by other contributors, many of whom use anonymous screen names and are people we've never met. We recognize that while we have tons of great stuff in this forum, people sometimes post messages in our folders or make statements in our chat rooms that are misleading, deceptive, or downright wrong. They may do this unintentionally or, sad to say, intentionally.

Treat the contributors here the same way you'd treat anyone you'd met for the first time. This is important because anyone can show up in CruiseMates: no invitations are required. You wouldn't make a vacation decision solely because some stranger recommends it; and you should treat the information provided in CruiseMates the same way.

The fundamental concept is that you should NOT rely upon the information or opinions you read. Rather, you should use what you read here as starting points for doing independent research on cruise lines and vacation options. Then judge for yourself the merits of the material that has been shared in our forum.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 12th, 2004, 03:35 PM
First Mate

Well, since you like surprises, you should have been pleased that the info was wrong but as you say, it was only a minor inconvenience. (G) Myself, I don't like surprises and that's why I read these posts. If one is way off base, most of the seasoned cruisers will remark as such. I've seen some of those hit and run messages that rant about things and then never come back for the responses. One has to sift through the messages and pick out what is in their area of interest and what appears to be a pertinent comment or recommendation. JMNSHO.
Frank-in-CA