Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 10th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Jeanine

Default More on Irons

I also have not read anywhere in Celebrity brochure or web site about irons being prohibited. All major hotels supply irons so I was surprised that the ships do not offer them( they make them with auto shut off so fire hazard really does not seem like a legit reason not to have them. I liked someones comment that smoking is allowed in staterooms which we all know is a much greater fire hazard than an iron. Personally I think it is a way for the ship to make a little more money on pressing services... So I will carry my little auto shut off travel steamer and if it is confinscated oh well... I might be the women with the very wrinkled dress. Happy cruising!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2004, 01:53 AM
Total Jackass

Default Re: More on Irons

It is within the realm of possibility that someone might go back to their cabin extremely drunk one night and start ironing and accidentally start a fire. I know whenever I am drunk I enjoy breaking out the old iron. I iron everything in sight.
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:29 AM
jamiegunter

It is a major fire hazard. No ship allows irons. Celebrity offers laundry service. They have no laundry rooms. So please do not take a iron on the ship, it may put everyone at risk.
Old August 11th, 2004, 08:55 AM
janz

Please, people smoke in their cabins after "one to many". I carry a travel iron and set it in the sink after unplugging it. On every cruise we have been on, I have left it in plain sight and it was never taken.
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:53 AM
AR

Here we go again!
Old August 11th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cruising Power which is the travel agents website has the following information about irons:

"There are no irons and boards in the staterooms, but there is full laundry service on board. Guests may not bring their own irons on board."

That website has a wealth of information and you do not have to be a TA to access the quick reference.
A link to the website - select Celebrity Cruises under Quick Reference.
http://www.cruisingpower.com/USP/Ent...p?s=3966861124

Post Edited (08-11-04 21:17)
Galaxy-11/99
Horizon-Adults only-11/02
Century-1/04
Millennium-12/05
Century-1/09

Mercury-Alaska-6/00
Millennium-Transatlantic-9/01, 10/03, 11/05
Zenith-Special Caribbean 11/06
Back to back Millennium 28 days - Mediterranean 11/18/07, Transatlantic - 12/2/07
Old August 12th, 2004, 08:04 AM
seabee

I'm bring a portable Hibachi grill with me
Old August 12th, 2004, 12:11 PM
Total Jackass

I was thinking about taking a blow torch so I could work on a welding project in the cabin on days at sea. Im a little worried that the sparks might be a fire hazard but it says nothing in the Celebrity brochure about not bringing a blow torch. Does anyone know if blow torches are allowed in the cabin?
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:48 PM
seabee

Total...you are such a jackass...it doesn't matter if it is prohibited or not; by all means take it with you. And those little goggles can triple as sun glasses by the pool and a snorkel mask!
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:24 AM
AR

I saw in the Sharper Image catalog that they're selling a portable nuclear reactor to take along on cruises. They claim it'll generate the extra power we'll need to run all the other stuff we bring. I think it's a great idea. And it fits in a single suitcase! (lead-lined, of course).
Old August 15th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: More on Irons

Total:

Saw postings on another board that people are actually bringing small wading pools for their kids and using them on their Veranda or at the pool so your welding torch is not beyond the realm of possibilty. It would be great for families next to each other so they can open up the veranda walls and use adjacent verandas.

Don
Old September 13th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Jeanine

Hello everyone, I am back from my cruise and had a fabulous time. I was discussing the iron issue with my husband and he thought the ban on irons was because of electricity needs and limits on the ship. That makes sense to me now. I have got a great kick out of all the funny responses about what people should bring.
A practical suggestion I will try next cruise is the Downy wrinkle reducer spray. I have tried it at home and it is somewhat effective. But you know what I did not notice anyone with wrinkled clothes because I wasn't looking...too busy relaxing...
Old September 18th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Passenger

That was entertaining to read! THANKS for the good laugh, guys.

After picking out the clothes that we are packing I plan to wash them with that downey wrinkle reducer. I may hang stuff near the steamy shower but I am not about to worry about ironing while on vacation.

Old September 20th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to CeCe

I have cruised four times, and each time I said "O!! I forgot the iron ." I actually nevr realized that you can not bring an iron onboard.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:28 AM
KIM STANTON

You do make me laugh!

Let me know next time you are planning a bender (drinking session of mammoth proportions) and Ill send you my ironing over!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: More on Irons

Iam not dense, but I must share this with you.I almost brought the blender with me on the Disney cruise (with a group of family members) to make Banana Rum Daiquiri's.I wii leave the iron and the blender,and just go to the bar.Sailing 11/1/2004 to the Panama Canal.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:45 PM
First Mate

I'd hate to admit this on the NCL board, for fear of being labelled as part of the 'Bundy" class that is now cruising, but I do have to admit to bringing a blender to a weekend long hockey tournament so the parents could enjoy Margarittas in our rooms, once the young hockey players had gone to sleep for the night.

I do agree with CeCe though that on this cruise I'll be leaving the blender at home and visiting the bars. Of course I'll be leaving the kids at home this time too.
Old October 1st, 2004, 11:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

I receives my travel documents Wed. Now I am really excited.
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:55 AM
idssms

We always take our regular house iron with us. The steward sees it since we let it cool when going to dinner.

We have never had a comment about it.

These people work on tips,,, no one is going to mess with you about rules on these cruises unless you get way out of line.