Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2004, 01:23 AM
paul emrich

Default Houston Hobby to Galveston

We'll be flying into Hobby on January 9 (Staying at the airport Hilton) and then making our way to Galveston on the 10th for the Galaxy Panama Canal cruise.

What's the best way to get from Hobby to Galveston cruise terminal?

I always name our trips. Mexican cruise last January was the "Senior-eat-a Tour".

Next one is the "Pa and Ma Carnal Tour".

Thanks for the info.
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:20 AM
esd

Default Re: Houston Hobby to Galveston

A couple of years ago we drove from Arkansas to Galveston for our Rhapsody cruise. We are booked on the Galaxy for the November 13th sailing but will be driving from our new home in Mississippi...we now live along the 'redneck riviera'. But for your question, we lived in and around Houston for 22 years. I should be able to tell you exactly what you need to know but it's been awhile and with all the freeway work there they probably moved everything. But here goes...

You are arriving at the best of Houston's two airports to make your way to Galveston from..at least you are on the right side of town. You are very close to 45 which takes you right to Galveston...about an hour or a little more. How are you getting to Galveston from Houston? We are also going the day before and will stay at the Harbour House at Pier 21 the night before. The last time, for our Rhapsody cruise, we stayed at Motel 6 (in Galveston) the night before. BIG MISTAKE. Out first room had a leaky air conditioner and the carpet was sopping. The second room was dry but not good. I would describe it as the kind of room where you do not walk around with no shoes on and I guess everyone has been in one ot those!

Are you staying in Houston the night you arrive because you get in late or want to see the sights there? There really isn't much to do or see around the Hobby airport, or the other one either for that matter. At one time or another we lived close to both. If you are getting in early enough, you might enjoy Galveston more. I think we'll be pretty close to 'the Strand' area this time and we are going to try to arrive early enough the afternoon before to explore a little and enjoy a nice meal somewhere. And since we're parking our car a the hotel for the cruise duration, I'm hoping that it is only a block or two to our cruise pier and that we can walk there that morning. IF we don't bring everything we own and it's not awfully far, we might make it. Hmmm, we shall see.

We booked this cruise in February so this has been a long time wait. We've never on a Celebrity cruise before and are really forward to it .

I forgot. I remember that the cruise terminals are to the left as you enter Galveston from the causeway. In fact, the driving instructions from RCCL had us turn left soon after you get on the island itself and then the termials are on the left a couple of miles down. Lots of traffic that way though. It seemed better to go straight on into Galveston on that main drag that 45 becomes, and then make a left on the street that will take you right to the front of the terminal. Lot's less congestion going that way.

By the way..good cruise names!!
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Yeoman

we are flying into bush and have rented a car from enterprise for a one way trip to galv-enterprise and hertz are the only 2 companies that have offices in galv---we are renting on a saturday and dropping it in galv on monday and the cost is 102.00 including a drop off charge ----hertz wanted more then that for a 24 hour rental and drop off--on the return we are renting a limo because i didnt want the hastle of dropping a car off and trying to make a plane

Old August 27th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Passenger

It's easy.. and they're reliable

Try:
www.Galvestonlimo.com

Srpilo