Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Danne

Default Infinity vs Century: Talk to me, people

Hey,

We went on a cruise last November on the Century, and loved it! Now we may have a chance to go to Alaska on the Infinity next August, 2005. In the book that we have regarding Celebrity ships we see that the Inifinity is larger, but is there really that much difference in the ships and experience aboard them?

Thanks for any info. and experiences you have to share!

Danne
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Mark Smith

Default Re: Infinity vs Century: Talk to me, people

From what i have heard the m class offers larger everything but you still have the same great service as on the century. You will love the Infinity having sailed on m class ships i would be looking foward to that cruise.

HOPE THIS HELPS
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Benjamin Smith

I think there's a huge difference. I don't care for the M class ships. I like lounges, deck spaces and don't really care that much about balcony spaces, size of ship, newness of ship, etc. I think the M class ships have large versions of Century areas, but not much to add outside of the specialty restaurant. For me there are too many shops on the M class, the conservatory is no big deal, neither is the listening library, neither are the "ocean view" elevators, the thellasotherapy pool is too public with weak jets, there are actually fewer lounges than in the Century ships, fewer dance floors, and the public areas just aren't as inviting--there are really no intimate lounges unless you count Michael's club that's been converted into a piano bar. I don't like the dining room wings, the lack of a real promenade deck as the promenade deck doesn't wrap around, and other aspects of the ship. The hull is shared with RCI and it shows, IMO.

What people like about the M class ships are the staterooms, balconies, newness of them, luxurious appointments (that are really all the same from ship to ship), specialty restaurant, space for pax. But I'm kind of surprised that many don't see the shortcomings of them.

Expect the M class to feel different. You may like them. But they are different than the Century class ships and the Horizon ships.
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Danne

Thanks for the info.! Now we have to wait and see who from our company will get to go on the trip.......Hope it's us!!!!

Thanks again,

Danne
Old August 26th, 2004, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi DAnne,
We cruised Alaska in Celebrity's Infinity and loved the ship and the ports. I did write a review with some pics:

Infinity review

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 26th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

I cruised the Infinity in 2001. I never cruised the Century. From my experience I absolutely loved the Infinity and it quickly became the number 1 ship I have cruised on. I have been on many ships but for some reason I loved the layout and the decor of this ship. I think its a great choice. You may even think of the Summit which is also cruising Alaska next year. Both Infinity and the Summit are sisters. You will also love Alaska!!!

Old August 26th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Passenger

We cruised the Century this past July & loved it. We also cruised the Millennium, which is the sister ship of the Infinity and loved that as well. We are looking into Alaska for July of 2005 & will book the Infinity if we choose to go to Alaska. The main reason is the veranda. We loved having a veranda on the Millennium, missed having it on the Century & absolutely insist on having one for an Alaska cruise. With so much to see from the ship, I think having a veranda room is important on an Alaskan cruise.

Good Luck.
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Benjamin Smith

Regarding verandas and Alaska I think one can miss a lot on a veranda, at least the Inside Passage. The reason is that the scenery is on both sides of the ship and unless the veranda is aft you are likely to miss something on the other side of the ship, you are likely not even to know about it.

There are advantages to old-fashioned deck space versus verandas. These are wider views, more mobility to get to different vantage points of the ship, experiencing the sea sensations on different levels, not only the level of the balcony (providing the ship has its aft area for public spaces and not balconies and has front deck space). One can definitely experience Alaska without a balcony, I did so on the Galaxy, and if I had a choice between a ship with wide and open deck spaces vs. one with plenty of verandas for private viewing, I'd choose the wide open deck space (a ship like HAL's Noordam would be wonderful or HAL's Statendam class as the next desired choice). Of course, it can be best of both worlds, one could enjoy the balcony right from their rooms at times and go out to other areas of the ship at other times to view both sides of the Alaskan scenery. However, in most newest generation ships like the Millennium class, new Princess ships, RCI Radiance ships, most scenery is high up and the aft is for balconies, so viewing points are high up, fortunately, the RCI and Princess ships have wraparound promenades where pax can view the scenery aft from a lower level on the ship, and view ocean life, seals, whales, etc., from the lower deck is better than upper decks. Unfortunately, the Millennium ships promenade deck is only on one side or the other, but it is wide, low, and comfortable.

If you choose a veranda, make sure to be out on deck at times with quick access to either side of the ship during the inside passage. At any time you may find something of interest. Hope you get to go. Good luck!
Old August 26th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Danne

Hey All,

I don't think we will have a choice of our cabin type or location. When we went on the Century we had a nice cabin with a big picture window. It was great for us, as I envisioned a small, round porthole!! Do most of the cabins on the Infinity have verandas because of the location where it is cruising?

Danne
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Benjamin Smith

Danne,

The Infinity is a Millennium class ship, Celebrity's latest. Like most of the latest classes of ships, for example HAL's Vista, NCL's Dawn, RCI's Radiance, Carnival's Spirit (HAL's Vista is a version of Carnival's Spirit class and Celebrity's Millennium is a version of RCI's Radiance class) there are a large percentage of balcony cabins. These ships are Panamax ships, all around 85,000 to 92,000 tons, carry between 1800 to 2600 pax (depending on line and how many berths are fill, Carnival tends to be more densely packed than Celebrity or HAL). It's not where the ship is cruising more than the cruise linse going with what is popular and balcony cabins have proven popular.
Old August 27th, 2004, 12:12 PM
David Starkey

I would take the Century class ship over Millie any day, but then again, I don't like mega liner ships. The small ones are just seem to have more personality.(and fewer passengers). Bigger is not better.
Old August 27th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Lee S. Gibson

If you end up on the INFINITY you must have Peter Vitalos as your waiter.
Old August 28th, 2004, 07:36 AM
lysolq

Have cruised on Century twice (Caribbean) and on Infinity twice (Panama Canal and Alaska). You really can't go wrong with either ship. Both are beautifully appointed and in excellent condition. Century is several years older than Infinity and perhaps 20,000 tons its junior. Infinity has more public spaces and is a bit more dramatic. The Celebrity experience will be very much the same.