Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 6th, 2004, 10:12 AM
First Mate

Default Century hints or tips

We are sailing on Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean) in October. Looking for anyone with recent Century experience to let us know what to expect and give us any little tips of things not to be missed or things to be avoided on this trip/itinerary.

I have heard we don't spend much time in the ports but that doesn't worry me too much since I'm taking this vacation more to enjoy the ship and (hopefully) be a little pampered and relaxed. The ports are just somewhere to go for a little added interest.

So ,anyone with favourite places or activities on the ship who is willing to share info please let me know.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:54 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Century hints or tips

Gardencat;

If you go to the message boards at www.cruisecritic.com and look under the Celebrity Cruises area, you will find many posts about the Century. There's one posting that's several pages long, I think it's "Tell Me More About The Centiry". We found the cruisecritic site to be very informative. We were on the Century this past July and really loved it.

Have a great cruise.
Old September 8th, 2004, 08:34 PM
First Mate

Thanks for the info. I used to visit and post on CC but can't anymore because I was banned. I had no problems on the Celebrity board, but had serious problems on the NCL board who's moderator is ....
well never mind lets just say that in the last month or so several valuable contributors have 'disappeared' from that board. I did see the 'Tell me about Century" thread but unfortunately did not copy it and now cannot access it. Also I can't get back to my roll call there amd think some members must wonder why the person who started the roll call does not post any more, however all that is a small price to pay for my integrity.

I guess I will look at my Century cruise as a 'voyage of discovery' and will try to find every thing out anew, for myself. Then I will return here and try to help future Century cruisers on cruisemates.

Thank you for answering my post, though. have you been on Century?
Sory just re-read your post and saw that you were last July. Do you have any secret hints or great places on the ship?

Post Edited (09-08-04 21:16)
Old September 9th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Century hints or tips

The Century is a very nice ship. The food in the dining room was probably the best we have ever experienced on any Celebrity ship. Our waiter, his assistant & the assistant Maitre'd were also the best we have ever encountered. Poolside seating is limited because of all of the chair-hogs who come out hours before they even want to go to the pool & place personal items on the chairs. This is a problem on all Celebrity ships. To find an available lounge chair just head up 1 deck above the pool deck & you should not have a problem, you will also enjoy a nice breeze. Enjoy yourself, experience everything.

If you were banished from cruisecritic, does this mean that you can't even view the site?
Old September 9th, 2004, 03:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

I did the Century 4 or 5 years ago - I LOVED this ship. Too bad for me that I have also compared all other cruises to this ship and none of them has been as nice.

Wait till you see the Midnight Buffet!
Old September 9th, 2004, 09:33 PM
pata

Hi gardencat,
I went to the cc board and found this review. They have their own website and I did not read it all, but if looked very infomative. Hope this helps!

http://www.celebrity-century.com
Old September 10th, 2004, 07:08 AM
seabee

Wow...I didn't know you could be banned?! Why don't you just change to a new screen name and visit again?
Old September 10th, 2004, 07:45 AM
limboman

Hey, GardenCat - there you are! We've had a couple of others join our roll call back at the CC site, and I was wondering where you went Still not much activity on that thread, though. Only 3 weeks or so to go!
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:10 AM
First Mate

Yahoo! High everybody.
If we don't get enough for a party but still want to get together we should just pick a time and place and anyone who wants too can show up.

When I was banned, they blocked my ip address so I can't get on from my home computer. I can go to another computer I have access to and log on there but
a) that is kind of a nuisance and
b) I usually like being pretty straightforward about things.
Around the time I was banned several other posters also disappeared from the NCL board. Some were banned, at least one ( AlexMD) wasn't banned but resigned in protest.
Posting on that NCL board has, in my opinion, become kind of pointless.
When the moderator removes some posts because she thinks they 'don't sound sincere' but leaves others which refer to other posters as hateful I think it is time for me to move on.
I might sneak back in to read or pick up some info, but I don't intend to get back into the fray under a pseudonym.

I do miss all you guys from the Celebrity board though so if someone wants to set a time and place on the Century, I'll try to show up and pretend to be a Cruise Critic once again!
That is if any of us get to go. I'm getting a little nervous about all the hurricanes. Will there be anything left in Florida and the Caribbean by Oct2?
Where was soon2bemrs wedding planned for ? I hope this doesn't mess up her plans.

Anyway I'm glad to see some of you over here.
Happy cruising

Post Edited (09-10-04 10:31)
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Dave Robinson

Hi you will love the century, what a fantastic ship.. We have cruised 16 times but the Century was by far the best. If you go to the Caymen Islands, book your trips on the dock, and save 40% plus.

But most of all enjoy the ship, it is fantastic.

regards
Old September 10th, 2004, 12:09 PM
hcat

What do you rec in Cayman Island?
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:00 PM
limboman

I think Soon2BMrs' wedding was planned for St. Thomas, so she's OK (so far)... unless we have a hurricane-induced itinerary change! I'm more worried about my parents in Daytona Beach - they've had extended power outages after both Charlie and Francis... they're fine, but we're planning on leaving our 2 year old daughter with them during the cruise - I think a power outage with a 2-year old is probably a lot more of an issue!

I'm wondering if all this tropical activity will stir up the waters sufficiently that snorkeling won't be worth it in the Bahamas like we'd tentatively planned on... but that's a very selfish concern considering what the region has been through so far this Hurricane season.

We'll definitely need to meet for drinks or something if the CC party doesn't go off as planned... I'm assuming you can still get to the Celeb site to see how our quota is progressing.
Old September 10th, 2004, 03:45 PM
First Mate

limboman

I can still get to the site but not from my home computer. I have access to computers in 2 other places but they are both a short drive from my home so enough of a pain that I don't do it all the time still, I can check every couple of days. I think there is a cut off a few days before the sail date, to make the quota. Also I am leaving a few days early to go to Florida so we bettter decide about a meeting place about a week before the cruise I guess. Are you planning to go straight to the ship or spend a day or 2 in Florida visiting first?
We are supposed to be staying in West Palm Beach and I'm not sure if there has been damage to our hotel.. I am a little apprehensive but, like you, feel silly worrying about my vacation when people are having their lives disrupted.

With slightly older kids a power outage can be fun but even then, only for a limited time, more than a couple of days and the thrill wears off. With a two year old it might be harder.
We will just have to keep our fingers crossed that all the hurricanes are happening early this year.

Post Edited (09-11-04 07:52)
Old September 11th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Amy Shupert

Default Re: Re: Century hints or tips

I've been on the Century twice in the last year and can say you will love it !!! Once you sail on the Century non of the other cruiselines even half-way compare. The Century has the best staff and by far the best food out there. We took 5 first timers with us last April and non of them want to cruise on any ship except the Century.
The port time in San Juan and Nassau are short but that's about the only negative. We're not fond of Nassau anyway and we did have enough time to take a general tour of San Juan and really enjoyed it.
We'll be back on the Century this April and all 9 of us going are already anxious to be back on the ship tyhat makes you feel like you are homeagain. We think the Century is the BEST !!!!
Old September 13th, 2004, 12:09 PM
First Mate

limboman,
Have you checked out the other roll call for our October Centery cruise recently?
I looked earlier and though I could see a couple of my responses to 'limboman' I couldn't find your posts. Did I miss something ?
Old September 13th, 2004, 01:29 PM
limboman

Hi, Gardencat. My screen name got changed to "bharper" when they changed software at CC, so that's what all my posts there show now.

We live in middle Georgia, so we'll be able to drive to the port. We'll leave Friday afternoon and drive to my parents' house in Daytona Beach. My sister-in-law and her husband are going to meet us there, then we'll drive down to Ft. Lauderdale on Saturday morning together.

Hopefully your pre-cruise stay in West Palm will be uneventful. It won't be too long now... we're almost ready to start packing!
Old September 13th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Lillykat

We were on the 8/21 sailing and had a great time. We were disappointed with the comedian this trip they usually have someone good - This one kept asking why no one was laughing and if he had to cue us when to laugh. Otherwise they were about the average for celebrity entertainment.

Pool area was very crowded. We sailed with another couple. We would alternate who would get up and get chairs then call the others to come immediately to join them. We were all up and in the seats around 8-815- and many seats were already saved (of course they were empty though) by 9 there were no seats by the pool and the upstairs was starting to fill.

Our cruise director was very nice. As well as the rest of the staff. We did have problems with our butler (i.e. told is "I don't do breakfast the last morning" when it is in the daily that breakfast in your room was available and our friends in cat 6 got their breakfast delivered to their room). Otherwise all staff was AMAZING - and really worked hard to give us a great honeymoon. We had Sinan as our Waiter, Kumal as our asst waiter, and Andrew P as our Asst maitre d' - I would recommend all three.

This was my 9th celebrity sailing and I have to say I don't know if it was the Century or Celebrity BUT the food was the best it has been in YEARS. The first time my meat was cooked perfectly every night!

Try the martini tasting the first night - you can get it at the martini bar - not sure if anywhere else - by they give you 5 small glasses of different martini's for the price of one. It is a great chance to try them and see what you like.

They do a sorbet parade by the pool everyday around 2 or 2:30.

They do have cold towels when you board BUT it seems they only do them later in the day. We took some catamaran tours and did not get them then but they were there when we got off to wander around later on.

I don't know what you mean by the islands aren't so great - I have been to most of the islands at some point or another and think the ones on the eastern route are better than the western route (don't like Jamacia).

We did the Catamaran snorkel and sail to shipwreck cove tour and LOVED it - I saw a nurse shark, barracuda, star fish, eels, etc It is a nice sail out and back as well.

St maarteen we did the golden eagle tour and that was nice - DH had problems with motion sickness - it was a little more wavy than St thomas was. The snorkling wasn't great but the beach they take you to is gorgeous.

San Juan is only OK - if you have been there I wouldn't waste my time - Dh and I got off and walked around a little but wouldn't bother again. I have been there many times and since you are only there in the evening not much to see or do unless you want to gamble or go to senior frogs - but drinking and gambling you can do on the ship.

Nassau was ok - nothing that special - I am not sure how much time you have to get to paradise island as we are only in port for a short time. You can see Atlantis from the boat - since Hurricane Francis has been there not sure what condition the island will be in.
Old September 13th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Benjamin Smith

For whatever reason, Celebrity's staff view the Century as the ultimate Celebrity ship. Before I went on Century I sailed on the Galaxy and the crew said wait to you see the Century. She's the great ship of the fleet.

Now, the funny thing about it is, while we find the Century to be a marvelous ship, we actually like the Galaxy the best of Celebrity's fleet. We were on the Mercury, and like her too, but a bit less than Galaxy and Century--but there's something about the Mercury as well, she grows on you.

The thing is, the food and service may be usually at such a high level due to the feeling many of the crew have about the Century. I think the crew changes and rotates from ship to ship, and I thought the food on the Galaxy, at least when I sailed her, was a tad better than what I got on the Century, but, a standard and a feeling of well being is part of the Century's culture. The crews are proud of her and love her. There's no good feeling like that about the Millennium ships. The crews don't like them, at least the ones I talked to. The Horizon and Zenith are also liked by crews.

The problem with asking people about ships is that we like different things. I like the lounges and the dining room. I truly could care less about balconies, I'm not that interested in staterooms at all. I like public areas including public deck spaces. And before I get into descriptions I must say that people say "beautiful ship" much too much. Doesn't describe what sets one ship apart from another. You get the feeling reading comments that most, if not all, ships are "beautiful".

For me, the Normandie-inspired dining room is majestic, rich, opulent without being ostentatious, and just one of the most impressive dining rooms of ships built within the last 10 years. And it is just on Century. Not on Galaxy. Not on Mercury. Not on anything else. I also love the Crystal Room, a 1920's, 1930's, New York City jazz club re-creation that is done in a way that it sections people off into areas and you feel like you are in a club, not some large lounge in a large ship. The details were sweated and are clever, the quality of everything is quite high, and the room has ambiance before anything happens in there. At night, it transported me somewhere else.

I'd fix a few things on Century. The library/card room is rather undistinguished. I also find the Rendezvous kind of dark, and here is where I think the Galaxy beats out the Century. There's also the Sky Bar area, OK but not on the level of the rest of the ship.

Still in all, there's a lineage about it, a feeling of a modern day cruise liner, a feeling that they meant to make something special, not just a commodity that will be the first in a series. That's why the Century is a ship that has so many admirers. It was built to a standard and to be exceptional. And I truly hope Celebrity builds no new ships until they bring back the standard that they did building the Century and Century class ships. The new Millennium ships pale in comparison to the standards set in these ships.
Old September 13th, 2004, 08:44 PM
First Mate

Benjamin Smith
Wow you gave me a real feel of the ship. I can't wait to see the crystal room sounds like my type of place.

Limboman,
Boy do I feel dumb. I was in a rush and didn't read the posts again ,just scanned to see if I could see you there and see if there was any update on the number of people registered for our party. I've been reading the other posts on this page and if you are looking to find me on board, I think the Martini tasting described above is something I will definately try to hit! I'm beginning to think about packing too or at least what to take.

Lilykat,
Who was your butler? Did he do much for you during the cruise?
I didn't hear that the islands weren't very good but just that the time in port was the weakest part of this cruise. San Jaun ,as you mentioned ,was too short to allow anyone to do much and on a few cruises for some reason I think the ship was late getting to some of the other ports too, cutting down that time as well. Don't get me wrong I intend to get off and at least take a look around all the ports but, If for some reason we have to miss one or get in late, it won't crush me since that's not my real top priority on this cruise. Thanks for all your info.
Old September 14th, 2004, 11:06 AM
First Mate

Got the docs!
Now I've got the packing bug. What to take? What to leave?
I wish all my decisions were this much fun.
Old September 15th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Lillykat

gardencat -
We had Paul - he was the ONLY down of the whole cruise. It would be generous to say he barely went thru the motions - our stateroom steward did MOST of the things it listed that he was supposed to do. He was usually not to be found - he told my husband once to walk to halls and look for someone to help us if you need anything if no one answers the phone numbers he gave us (we wanted ice since we didn't have any in our room) We traveled with friends in a cat 6 and they even said that their room steward was better -Maybe someone was monopolizing him - but he didn't do basic things that he was supposed to do and did do things like keying in with the do not disturb sign out (we were on our honeymoon)
Old September 15th, 2004, 02:42 PM
First Mate

lilykat
That does sound disappointing. I'll just hope ours is better. This is the first time we've paid extra to have a suite and a butler so I'm hoping it will be a little something special, if not it will be back to the cheap seats next time!
Old September 16th, 2004, 02:35 PM
limboman

Gardencat, we did the opposite this trip... we booked an inside cabin for the first time in a long time - it was enough of a price difference for the outside that we figured we'd try the "cheap" way.

We leave for Florida 2 weeks from tomorrow - I can't wait! I'm getting a little nervous about my passport - I sent it 4 weeks ago for renewal and it's not back yet. They said within 6 weeks is normal, but it's still something to worry about for now.

We're starting to plan our packing... I bought a sportcoat to wear on the "semi-formal" nights... from a tip on one of the boards, I found a nice one at GoodWill for $10!

Hmmmm.... inside cabin, jacket from GoodWill... maybe I better stop now before everyone thinks I'm a total cheapskate
Old September 16th, 2004, 04:01 PM
First Mate

limboman,
Cheapskate? Maybe just a good planner.

We all need to save money for the fruity pool side drinks and the Martini Bar. Now everybody probably thinks I'm a drunk!

I think we got a pretty good deal on the suite and it sounded like fun for a change.We will see if we think it was worth it after it is all over.
We just found out yesterday that our pre-cruise accomodations in Palm Beach were damaged by Francis and won't be available for us. Luckily we seem to have found something a little furthur up the coast. Now if all the other hurricanes will go away and US Airways will keep flying for a few more weeks maybe I'll actually make it!

[

Post Edited (09-16-04 16:02)
Old September 20th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Madame Sharon

I've sailed on the Century twice. I prefer the Summit and Infinity - their pool decks are so much better. The Century pools have only a ladder for access in and out of the water - older cruisers and the disabled are unable to get in and out of the pools. Plus, the pools are very small. The Century looks a little worn too, unlike the larger, newer Celebrity ships. I didn't care for the very aloof Maitre'd, and our waiter never learned our names or dining preferences - and we were onboard for two 7 day cruises back-to-back. We booked a really good cabin (we thought) on the Century. We were down the hall from the atrium in a HUGE cabin. The problem was that day and night, we would hear loud banging outside the cabin window. Our neighbors all heard it too. I thought it would drive us crazy - everyone reported the problem, and NOTHING was done to correct it. Finally, two days into the second half of the cruise, Celebrity moved us to another cabin. I've never had a MAJOR problem like this on any other Celebrity ship. We were not compensated in any way. Consequently, I much prefer the Infinity and Summit to the Century.
Old September 20th, 2004, 09:52 PM
First Mate

Madame Sharon
Wow, it sounds like you sure had bad luck on your cruises. The small pool wouldn't have bothered me that much nor would getting in and out by the ladder, but an uncaring waiter and a noisy cabin would. Did anyone ever explain what was causing all the banging noises?
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:01 AM
limboman

8 days until we cruise, GardenCat... looks like we'll be doing some serious packing this weekend. Hopefully Jean won't affect us - we're keeping a close eye on it.

We're still stuck at 19 for the CC party - we'll figure out a time/ place to meet soon and I'll keep you up to date.
Old September 24th, 2004, 07:46 PM
First Mate

Thanks for your update. I'm worried about Jeanne. I think she will be gone by the time we are about to sail but will she leave Fort Lauderdale port in okay condition and will I be spending 3 nights sleeping in the Fort Lauderdale airport because my hotel has been washed out to sea? This vacation is already getting a little more interesting than I had bargained for.
I hope your parents weather this one alright too. I'll watch for your post about the get together. At this point I'm scheduled to leave home very early Wednesday morning. Hopefully the weather conditions will be more settled by then.
Packing this weekend!
Old September 26th, 2004, 07:40 PM
First Mate

Arrrgh!!
The situation in Florida does not seem to be improving and getting to this ship is becoming very problematic for us.

Limboman, how did your parents in Daytona weather the storm? Are you still on track to leave Georgfia when you planned?

The first resort I was supposed to be staying at pre-cruise, was damaged by Francis, and so we found another resort and booked there. Latest info is that that resort had slight damage from Jeanne but most difficult ,is without power and does not expect to open again until Sat, Oct 2. This leaves us with no where to stay pre-cruise and a 26 hour drive to get from our home to Fort Lauderdale.

We are still looking for alternatives but the uncertainty of Jeanne's path makes alternate arrangements difficult to form.
If I do finally get to this ship I think I will need a BIG martini at sail away and probably a long sleep immediately after!
Old September 27th, 2004, 07:51 AM
limboman

Well, Gardencat, Jeanne is passing overhead in middle Georgia as I type this - schools are closed here, but no damage yet. My parents made it through this one OK... my sister's house in Orlando was without power last I knew, but it looks like we'll have no problem going to Daytona on Friday and on to FLL on Saturday.

I hope you're able to get your travel plans in order - I know this is stressful for you; hopefully you'll be able to find a 3rd hotel! Getting to the port city a few days earlier is supposed to make things less stressful, not more... hopefully your stress level will fall off significantly once you're on board!

I'll try to make sure that we settle our alternative meeting time and place by tomorrow so you'll know where to find us.