Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:07 AM
NeedAdvice

Default Did I make a mistake???

Perhaps someone has cruised with Celebrity (Summit in particular) can make me feel better. Tonight, our family found the 11-night Western Caribbean cruise on-line. The dates are perfect, the ports exciting, the ship's rating top-notch, we were able to enjoy a slight discount and the agent was able to provide us with connecting rooms. After agreeing to the terms and price, I pulled the trigger and booked the cruise.

Dilemma: Did some more research on the ship Summit (rated #2 in the world by Conde Nast Traveler). Rumor has it that the "award-winning" youth program offered by Celebrity does not operate year-round (like those of other cruise lines). They operate the programs in the summer and during school holiday periods. They do have a "youth area".

As I did further research on this website (Cruisemates), I discovered that yes, in fact I had locked myself in to cruise that appears to be more geared to cigar smoking, martini-todeling, upper-crusts who are eager to distance themselves from children and those with children. Hope I didn't offend anyone in that demographic. We're not slobs. We enjoy fine food and classical music, but we have two young daughters!

This sounds like it may not be as much fun for the diverse ages in our group. Since our trip is within 70 days from now, I would take a 50% penalty for cancelling! New to cruising. Please - someone offer some reassuring words!!!

My four year-old needs some entertainment or we're all going to be sorry.

Best wishes and thank you!
Scott
Sponsored Links
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Did I make a mistake???

easy to close the barn door after the cows have left --obviously you are feeling that you should have done more research before booking ----unless you want to take a big financial hit just go on the cruise with your group and have a great time ---you most likely wouldnt hang out with the martini cigar smoking crowd --i know i wouldnt--there will be enough people and kids on board for you all to have a ball ---just go and have fun

Old September 17th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Longboysfan

We were on the Summitt 10 day cruise in February a few years back.

They did have the childrens programs going on.
You could go over and ask this in cruisemates.com also.

Good luck.
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:51 AM
David Starkey

We have sailed several Celebrity ships in "off season" with our teens and the kids programs were going.
Old September 17th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Yeoman

From what I understand, the childrens programs are offered all the time and they are great programs! There won't be as many children on the ship during off season.
The "Cigar" room has been converted into a lounge and doesn't cater to cigar smokers any more. Yes they have a Martini bar on board. Doesn't mean everyone hangs out there. I think it's more of a gimic than anything. I really don't think you'll have any problems with this cruise ship/line. I am going on the summit on Oct. 25. I'll try to get back with you if it helps. email me and I'll let you know what our cruise was like (unless you happen to be booked on this trip with me!)
Old September 17th, 2004, 12:25 PM
AnthonyF

No (I think). I too am cruising for the first time and chose Celebrity. I asked specifically and have asked again about the Children's programs and the only time they are not run is their Specific Adult Only cruises.

The choice of Celebrity (great deal aside) was the raves about the food and Conde Nast reviews. I know there will not be a ton for the kids (8 & 11 cruising off-season), but I did not choose the cruise in search of a babysitter. If I did, I'd go Carnival or RCCL.

When in Port they'll be with us.
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:39 PM
1st Cruise & Bringing

Default Re: Re: Did I make a mistake???

Hi Cruisequeen,
Thanks for your comforting words. We're actually booked for the same voyage as yourself. With a name like "Cruise Queen" I gather you have some cruising experience. Sounds like this (Summit) is one heck of a ship. Looking forward to it. Just wanted to ensure our 4 year-old will enjoy it too. Perhaps we can get to meet you in person.

Happy cruising and thanks again!
Scott
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Scott... on an 11 day cruise you're not likely to see many kids on any cruise line. But, there will always be some.... and more likely those who are there, will be of pre school age.

Aside from any "kid's program" that exists I'd recommend talking to the guest relations desk early in the cruise about setting up some private babysitting time. That way, maybe a nice evening in the ship's altermate restaurant may be possible.

The Summit is a wonderful ship, and I'm sure the cruise will be excellent!

Old September 19th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Passenger

Scott:

I believe you made the right choice. We have been cruising with Celebrity with our daughter since she was 8. She is now 11 and she always looks forward to our cruises. We have cruised in the "Off-Season" as well as peak. During the non-peak times the program is still run. What they sometimes do is consolidate some of the age groups so that activities are full. The childrens program is run very well & I'm sure your child will enjoy it. "Upper Crusts"? Not a factor. You all will enjoy Celebrity.
Old September 19th, 2004, 03:27 PM
Yeoman

Scott - I hope my emails have been a help to you! Please feel free to contact me any time you have a question - If I don't know the answer I will be sure to tell you and will research your questions! See you on board!
Karen
Old September 20th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Madame Sharon

I've taken three 11 day cruises with Celebrity. There were children (not lots) on each one. The reason the children on these cruises had fun was because their parents were so involved. I particularly watched a set of grandparents entertain their 2-year old granddaughter on our Hawaiian cruise and a young couple with an adorable 3-year old daughter on our Panama Canal sailing. They both swam everyday with the toddlers, ate most meals on their balconies instead of in the formal restaurants, and took plenty of naps to ensure everyone was happy and rested and ready to enjoy the cruise.
Old September 21st, 2004, 01:44 PM
First Mate

Relax and enjoy. I TOTALLY understand your concern about wanting the children's program for your 4 YO, I have a 4YO also. Call Celebrity to see if it will be operating on your cruise. I disagree with the comment that if you want a babysitter you should go with Carnival or RCCL. The children's programs are so much more than that, my children just love being with the children's staff members, they are different from us and in a lot of ways less strict. Plus being with other children with activities geared toward their age-group, it just doesn't get much better than that, at least for my kids. Plus, it allows us parents to do some adult things, like shopping, art auction, bingo, reading, or my personal favorite, resting.

The suggestion about looking into private babysitting should the children's program not be available is excellent.

Report back and let us know how much you enjoyed the cruise, I know you will.