Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Benjamin Smith

Default Celebrity ship's maintenance and cleanliness

For those who have been sailing Celebrity for awhile, have you noticed a lowering of standards in their maintenance and cleanliness of their ships? When I first considered Celebrity in 1998 I rarely came across a review that had any issues with the cleanliness and maintenance of Celebrity's ships. Including the Zenith and Horizon. In fact, the thing that I noticed was how often the cleanliness and maintenance were mentioned as very good to exceptional.

There's been a disturbing amount of reviews and posts I've read about this being an issue on several Celebrity ships including the Horizon, Zenith, Galaxy, Millennium, and Infinity. Seems Century, Mercury, Summit and Constellation so far have been OK. But I'm not reading that the ships are impeccably maintained, on every review there's mentions of stains and ripped carpets and problems in staterooms, even suites.

If this is the case, another Celebrity strength is no more.
Sponsored Links
Old September 27th, 2004, 10:55 AM
AR

Default Re: Celebrity ship's maintenance and cleanliness

I'm no apologist for Celebrity, but I'd be very careful about drawing broad, general conclusions from anecdotal posts on message boards. It's merely the luck of the draw with regard to which ships get complaints. If you look long enough I'm sure you'll find gripes about the other ships as well. Consider. . .

--Far more people complain than praise, and many actually spend time looking for things to criticize.

--Some kinds of damage cannot be repaired instantly.

I've been on lots of Celebrity cruises over the last few years, and I don't see a downward spiral on that front.
Old September 27th, 2004, 08:22 PM
Beginner

We sailed the Zenith this past week and had no problem. It was spotless.
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:42 PM
SurfsUp

It amazes me how people will defend this Cruise Line to no end. I was recently on the Infinity and I did in fact see stained and ripped and bunched up carpeting. The Notes lounge was an absolute mess. The same dirty plates and glasses were sitting in the upper level of it for 2 days and then they finally closed it down because the equipment was not working anyway. Im not a person who walks around with white gloves checking for dust either. The general feel of the ship was that it was not clean. There was this horrible smell of perspiration and dead fish in the Navigator that never did go away for the entire trip. One really has to wonder how people who defend the cleanliness of this particular ship live when they are not cruising........I cant speak for any of the other ships except to say that as of last February the Mercury was spotless.
Old September 28th, 2004, 09:18 AM
AR

Default Re: Re: Celebrity ship's maintenance and cleanliness

Dear SurfsUp

I trust that you brought these deficiencies to the attention of the hotel manager at once. Or did you just wait to post your complaint here where it will do no good? If there's a bad situation, you should always point it out.

I can't remember what the "Navigator" is aboard Infinity, but if it is a public room and if it smelled of dead fish and sweat, I can't help but wonder

1) why you kept going back (you did say "for the entire trip")
2) why you didn't complain long and loud to the desk
3) why you kept going back to Notes if the equipment wasn't working

The real test of the ship's attitude toward these kinds of lapses is how fast and how earnestly they rectify them. I'd be curious to know whether you gave them that opportunity.

Finally, I wouldn't spend a lot of time worrying about how "the rest of us" live when we're not cruising. I daresay most of our homes don't smell of dead fish.
Old September 28th, 2004, 09:41 AM
David Starkey

The Mercury is still very good and up to par. Infinity just seems to miss the mark .(IMHO) Galaxy is still good but not quite as good as the Mercury.
Old September 28th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I spend a considerable amount of time reading reviews of all ships and lines I have the time for.
Because I also write reviews, I think it helps to see how other people approach expressing their views.

While it may be a somewhat blurred "definition", I view some of them as personal reports of individual cruise experiences and some as reviews.

On a ship, and during a cruise there are many things which are objective and many that are subjective. If I'm writing a review, I try and concentrate on the objective... the things which others are likely to encounter, and see in the same manner.

When I simply write reports of my cruise experience, I can wander more into things that may fit more to my personal tastes, likes and dislikes. And I think a majority of "reviews" you see posted on the Internet fit more into that category.

When reading these 'personal accounts, I think one has to try and "read between the lines" a bit and take a look at what biases may have caused some of the comments.
Did a bad flight connection , or delay in getting to the ship, or lost luggage, etc. cause the writer to step onboard looking to be more critical?

I tend to give more weight to those reports which take an even handed approach, describing the good as well as the bad, because normally you experience both during a cruise.
Those which rave endlessly about the perfect cruise often get disregarded along with all the "cruise from hell" reports.

All of that said, in all the Celebrity reviews I read, very very few of them mention bad maintenance or uncleanliness. While many people have different views and experiences on food quality, presentation service etc., the majority of what I see and read reflects positively of Celebrity's attention to cleanliness and maintenance.

There may be true anecdotal incidents pointed to, but I don't think that a general downturn can be born out.

It's been about a year since I've sailed Celebrity, but I have certainly never experienced it on my Celebrity cruises. In fact, they've always been amongst the best maintained ships I've sailed. I'll be sailing the Millennium again in November, and will certainly report back if I see anything that changes that opinion.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 29th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Passenger

Not only have I found the ships in very good clean condition, but I have not seen any threads with complaints.
Old October 3rd, 2004, 12:45 PM
hcat

Just back from Constellation--very clean in all areas & that's just before it goes into drydock --Great care is taken with this beautiful ship!
Old October 4th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Passenger

We have been on 62 cruises, 37 on Celebrity. We have found Celebrity to be the best maintained ships of all the lines we have sailed on. We have seen carpeting in hallways being replaced if needed and not waiting for drydock.Railings are always smooth and well varnished,mirrors sparkling clean,brass nd chrome always bright and clean. We have four more bookings on celebrity through 2005 and expect to find the ships as good as wver
Old October 5th, 2004, 11:48 AM
emily2

We're just off the Galaxy, and like you, are concerned about maintenance issues. The fabric on the furniture was tired, and even grimy, in some instances. There was a general feeling of maintenance being a low priority.

We have always had the privilege of having a sky suite, and this was our third on the Galaxy; we've cruised her three times over a three year period. No changes have been made in any of the suite furnishings. Bed coverings seem tired, and the mattress was lumpy (this was fixed by our asking for a mattress topper.) , fabric on the sofa felt almost grimy.

I gently suggested that the housekeepers get vacuum attachments which would clean all the way to the wall...as one can see layers of dust in corners and near the edges.

Galaxy is a lovely ship, I do hope RCL management hasn't decided to let her deteriorate slowly.
Old October 5th, 2004, 05:46 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: Celebrity ship's maintenance and cleanliness

We just got off the Constellation. Ship was well maintained. Crew were actively cleaning on a daily basis. We had no complaints about the maintenance of the ship.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old October 5th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Melanie_A

I think the cleanliness and maintenance issues are so far confined to certain ships. I too was recently on the Infinity - Inside Passage - and found it to have a general feeling of not being clean. There were issues with carpeting and some rather disgusting odors in some areas of the ship. The window in my cabin had fingerprints all over it and something that looked like a giant coffee stain on the carpet just as you walk in the door. The staff did not seem to be keeping up with dirty dishes and glasses out on the decks. I called all of this to the attention of the front desk and they seemed rather unconcerned and noresponsive. I must say I thought in a general sense, the crew on the Infinity just put off really bad vibes. It was as though there were some behind the scenes issues that needed to be resolved or something. On the other hand I was on The Mercury last year and you could have performed surgery in its public areas.
Old October 5th, 2004, 08:27 PM
tamara bryan

was it fun i wish i could go sailing on a ship.
Old October 6th, 2004, 04:32 PM
AR

Melanie

If the desk seems indifferent you should absolutely ask to speak to the hotel manager and present your list. If there's a bad situation--especially if it's a long list--the hotel manager has to be made aware of it. If you get no satisfaction there, it's time for a detailed letter to the line when you get home.
Old October 7th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Celebrity ship's maintenance and cleanliness

Mabber, so glad to hear that the Zenith is in good condition!!! Thanks!!

Old October 11th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Benjamin Smith

There seems to be issues. Specifically the Galaxy, Infinity, Zenith, MIllennium, and Horizon may have cleanliness/maintenance issues from time to time. Constellation is too new to count, IMO. Mercury seems to be marked high by almost everyone. Galaxy hurts, because I think this is Celebrity's best ship, and is my favorite Celebrity ship. When I was aboard her, back in 1999, she was immaculate.

I conclude from this sampling that there are issues with cleanliness and maintenance on some ships on Celebrity and it isn't up to the standards of 6 or 7 years ago. Sounds like things aren't horrible, but they aren't exemplary either.
Old October 11th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

There seems to be issues. Specifically the Galaxy, Infinity, Zenith, MIllennium, and Horizon may have cleanliness/maintenance issues from time to time

Ben seems that EVERY ship on every cruise line will have cleanliness/maintenance issues from time to time.
Issues like stained carpets, furnishings, draperies, bed coverings etc. are an ongoing work and replacement program on all the cruise lines. Often the problems are dealt with "on the fly", such as replacing cabin carpeting on port days. Though some times the "jobs" are larger in nature, and have to wait until the ship's next scheduled dry dock... which generally occur every 18 -24 months.

Even sailing on luxury lines, and even on new ships, one can and does run into areas that need attention, because of mechanical problems that developed, or accidental spills etc.

From a small internet sampling I don't think you can generalize and come to the conclusions you do. But, it's like most surveys.... you can make the statistics dance to the tune you prefer to listen to <G>

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 12th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Benjamin Smith

Kuki,

Given that ships will have some issues from time to time, you do have to wonder why reports are from some paritcular ships. It just may have to do with supervision on a few ships from the Captain down and supervising officers on making it a priority. A few months from now , when crews shift, it may not be these particular ships but other ships that are not up to Celebrity's standards. But there is no doubt that more people say Celebrity's ships aren't very clean vs. 6 or 7 years ago. 6 or 7 years ago it was rare to find mentions of any area of Celebrity's ships not being clean, and onboard maintenance, including viisible replacing of areas of carpets, chairs and other upholstered furniture being removed to be taken to be cleaned, armies of cleaners diligently cleaning every inch of the ship, this sort of attention to detail isn't being mentioned as part of how Celebrity cleans ships today. Take a sample, look at reviews of all Celebrity ships from 1998 or 1999 vs. now, you'll see what I mean.

At any rate, Celebrity has gone too long with some stateroom furnishings. Tired bedspreads, ripped carpeting in staterooms, and high-level staterooms like Royal Suites, on some ships just needs to be addressed and fixed. No excuses.

I want Celebrity to have an excellent product. Clean ships, fine food, consistently high standards of service, I'm not looking for them to be slipping. But I'm not fooling myself into believing that they aren't slipping where evidence shows they may be.
Old October 12th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Melanie_A

There are 2 words to explain the decline in standards and those words are, Royal Caribbean. RCCL has ruined this line.
Old November 24th, 2004, 05:45 AM
idssms

I just returned from a Galaxy 14 day cruise. It was very clean. I had no problems at all.

Admit it,, there are some cruisers that are slobs and drop soda on the floor in the cabin, grape juice, etc.

Celebrity can not change the carpet everytime some slob spills something on the floor and I understand that. My steward told me last time that I would not believe some of the things cruisers do to their rooms. So, I give Celebrity the benefit of the doubt as far as the stains go.

I am sure the Hotel Mgr hears a lot of complaints on every cruise line and since I am on vacation I make the best of the situation and unless something is real eggregious I wouldnt say a word.

They do a great job in my opinion.
Old November 27th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Passenger

I spent three week s on the Celebrity this spring and found that, normal wear and tear excepted, the ship was always clean and well maintained.. Some windows have lost their vacuum seal however. Sailing aboard the Infinity next week and the Zenith again in January... After 16? Celebrity sailings have never found maintenance to be an issue.. still our #1 choice for a cruise line..
Old November 30th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Babette

Sometimes it's also the things you don't normally see. Century recently scored a 79 on her CDC Vessel Sanitation Inspection. Two main problems: potable water and cockroaches. YECH!