Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 13th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Do we 'fit' on Celebrity?

We are with a group of people who are booked for a Celebrity cruise on Mercury. One of the couples found the trip through the TA and the rest of us booked. We cruised before with NCL but didn't really look into Celebrity, we trusted our friends in their choice. However, after reading some of the different message boards, I am starting to get worried that it may be a bit more formal than what we thought. We are mid-50's, middle-class, married for 35 years, semi-retired. We are active, love to have a few drinks but don't over-indulge, love to have fun. We are certainly not rich but we are 'comfortable'. We like to dress up for special occasions but are pretty laid back the rest of the time. We have no trouble following Celebrity's dress code although it sounds like the informal nights are a bit formal than what we are used to (shirts and ties for men). And when reading the Celebrity book, I see no mention of shorts at all in their dress code.

It also sounds like there are a lot of people who are fairly well-to-do who will be on our cruise.

Are there any other cruisers out there who are in our 'bracket'? Are we going to 'fit in' on Celebrity? How did some of you dress on your cruises, did you ever wear shorts? We'd really like to eat in the diningroom everynight, are there any other nice places to eat on the Mercury where we could dress 'smart casual' and still have a nice meal or should we pack the clothes that Celebrity suggests?
Sponsored Links
Old October 13th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Do we 'fit' on Celebrity?

Hi Lyn,
I think you will actually enjoy Celebrity, we had no problems on our Celebrity cruise. There are casual evenings where men can wear nice slacks and polo shirts. As for shorts, they are fine during the day, just not for dinner in the dining room, which pretty much all the major cruiselines use.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Captain

You'll certainly fit. We are also middle aged, just comfortable means,
and we're leaving soon for our 4th Celebrity cruise....You'll be very
comfortable in shorts during the day....most of us wear them. Informal
nights are jacket and tie, but at times you'll see jacket, no tie, and even
just a long sleeved shirt.

You're going to love Celebrity! People are just as friendly, casual,
and don't seem to be of "higher means" than other cruises.
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:34 PM
black_bart

Default Re: Re: Do we 'fit' on Celebrity?

Wear whatever the heck you want. It will give people something to complain about on the message boards when they get back. Seriously though, I had a similar concern on my first Celebrity cruise and then I realized that it really doesnt matter what you wear. I could have gone to dinner in a speedo and a tank top and people wouldnt have lifted their heads from the feeding trough long enough to even notice me.
Old October 13th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Passenger

You will enjoy Celebrity very much. We had the same concerns as you did when we first sailed with them as we are just casual people in early 50's who enjoy relaxing and wearing shorts and T-shirts while on vacation "except in dining room of course" and we like to dress up for formal night as well.

We had a great time and did not feel out of place in any way. You will see all kinds of people in a variety of clothes just having as great a time as you will, oh and we have booked another cruise with Celebrity thats how great a time we had. Have fun, don't worry and just enjoy yourselves.
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Good, I feel much better. Like I said, we like dressing up for the formal evenings and will probably dress for the informal evenings too. They should call them semi-formal really because informal to most people means exactly what it says, non-formal. And they are a bit on the formal side if men are required to wear a jacket. We have had 2 daughters get married in the last year so I certainly have a couple of dressy dresses that I'm looking forward to getting more mileage out of.

If the rest of our group decide to eat elsewhere on an informal night and we want to eat in the diningroom, what happens to our table for 8? Will other people be seated with us or will we be seated with other people?

Can't wait!
Old October 13th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Passenger

As first time cruisers ,our TA steered us toward the Celebrity line. We cruised the Summit and absolutely loved everything about the ship. In fact, we are planning our 2nd cruise in Feb.

Lyn--your background sounds similar to ours and we did not feel out of place at all. Wear what you consider "formal" on the formal nights and enjoy the moment. We saw all kinds of dress on formal nights...pretty sundresses to actual formals.... black suits to tuxedos.

Daytime wear....most definitely, shorts. Most areas on the ship, other than the pool, require cover-ups over bathing suits but I think that is pretty standard anywhere, land or sea.

Have fun and don't be looking over your shoulder for the fashion police!

Summit
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

We have sailed many cruise lines and come back to Celebrity, 9 times and 3 more booked.

Formal nights are tux or dark suit, but have seen some men in a lot of different suit colors.

Informal or should I say semi formal, always seems to steer people in the wrong direction with Celebrity. Sport coat (jacket) for men. Tie is optional. Depending on my mood I put on the tie.

Casual or smart casual is slacks and nice shirt.

The others who responded gave you the insight to shorts and bathing suits.

By the way, where are you going on the Mercury and when?

Round trip San Francisco Mex Riv, Mercury May 4, 2005

Transatlantic from Rome on Galaxy Oct 17, 2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Old October 13th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Carole Dunham

You and Celebrity sound like a perfect fit. Don't worry about shorts. If you're taking a Caribbean cruise you will live in shorts and bathing suits during the day. You can't wear shorts or jeans in the dining room, but for breakfast and lunch Celebrity always puts on a great buffet up on deck. Enjoy!

Carole
Old October 13th, 2004, 06:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are cruising Feb. 7, 2005, 117 days but who's counting?!? One good thing is that this time of the year usually goes fairly quickly because I can never believe how quickly Christmas sneaks up on us.

Sounds like we are going to have a good time, I'm content now that we made a good choice. It's too late anyway, we've already paid for most of it!

On our last cruise with NCL, we never wore shorts in the diningroom except maybe at breakfast. We were in port everyday so we usually had lunch off the ship. I actually prefer capri pants to shorts these days. My 50 year old legs aren't what they used to be!
Old October 13th, 2004, 07:25 PM
JLKoag

Lyn, my brother and I went on the Summit in March. We believe in "real informal", he is a blue collar type and I had a white collar job, but when I retired I threw all of my ties away. My wife enjoys the same philosophy when we go on cruises - we are there to relax and enjoy and do the best to conform (but we know we always fall a little bit short).

We enjoyed ourselves - so DON'T WORRY, you will too!!! If you run into some snobs, which are few and far between, you are right and they aren't!!!!

ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY and then do like we do - come home with some new pen pals (in this day and age e-mail pals). jlk
Old October 14th, 2004, 10:50 AM
David Starkey

Celebrity does a very good job of treating its passengers well in almost every respect that I can think of.

I guess thats why we choose to sail them on a regular basis. I don't think you can beat the very good service at a price that "regular" people can afford.

I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise on Celebrity.

Best Wishes

David
Old October 14th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Yeoman

I hope you fit in! We are going on our first Celebrity cruise in 11 days. We are middle class income folks. I am in my mid 40's and my husband is in his 50's. We enjoy getting dressed up for dinner when it is appropriate. We are shorts and tennis shoe kind of people. We are going to be ourselves no matter what "type" of people are on this cruise. We make the most of every situtation. We "go with the flow". I have no worries that we will be "out classed" or we will not fit in.
Old October 14th, 2004, 02:31 PM
cohengm

Default About being "outclassed"

There was an old saying which I learned quite a few years ago. Very simply stated: "I stopped worrying about what other people were thinking of me when I realized other people were worried about what I was thinking of them. " You'll meet some people which you'll enjoy being with, and may even meet people you don't enjoying being with. On a cruise, just remember "We're all on the same boat!" Treat others as you would like to be treated and "like cream", your friendships will "rise to the top".
Old October 14th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks everybody! We are counting the days!
Old October 14th, 2004, 07:12 PM
hcat

You will love it--we are your same demographics--just back from Constellation & did Summit in March--Both trips were really fabulous! Tyhe food, music, other cruisers, cruise staff, etc etc--all tops. Can't wait to cruise again!
Old October 15th, 2004, 03:45 AM
Kim Sta

Hi Lyn

Thanks for asking the question - we were wondering the same thing! We are thirty something/forty somethings - too old to party all night but young enough to still want to have a laugh and have fun. We too like the odd drink but same as you, dont go in for hangovers.

Clotheswise, well i have my "posh frocks" for the formal nights and beloved has tux which he will wear all formal nights with different shirts!

Daytime for us involves comfort - shorts, t shirts, etc. We are from the UK and hope that the people on the ship are not "snobs" and accept other people for what they are - not for their bank balances but if they dont, that is their loss! We have had to save all year for our hol and will enjoy it, we are not rich, nor poor - depends who we are compared to! But we are friendly, outgoing, chatty and want to have a good time, with a good few laughs along the way! laughter makes the world go round!
Lyn, its your vacation - wear what you feel good and comfortable in, if you want a few drinks in the bar and a good laugh, then good luck to you. Dont let anyone spoil your well earned holiday and enjoy every second of it - we intend to when we sail to Hawaii on the Infinity in December
Old October 15th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Lynda

Thanks Kim, we'll be anxious to hear about your Hawaiian cruise, we are really hoping to do that next year!

Lyn
Old October 16th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Admiral

Lyn: My first cruise ever was on Celebrity's Galaxy. I was 40 years old and had a wonderful time. I do not think you will find it too formal. Go and enjoy yourselves!

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old October 17th, 2004, 12:58 AM
salgal

Interestingly, we felt the same way before our first cruise, Mexican Riviera in Feb 2004 on M/V Mercury, Celebrity Cruise Line...WE LOVED IT!!!!!!! We worried needlessly about the "formal" nights in the dining room...we ate every night in the dining room (late seating), dressed formally on the 3 formal nights (out of a 14 night cruise), the other nights, I wore a more casual attire, a long black skirt and dressy top (my husband purchased a smart, black suit and wore it with a starched white shirt and tie, a bright blue shirt and tie another night, and a black t-shirt another night....and HE LOOKED HOT!!!!!) There are certainly other venues for dinner: the more casual dining available for every meal, the many other "special" offerings - sushi- salad/deli-all day burgers/dogs/pizza, and room service available 24/7. Food will be your last worry. We are early 50's and didn't really want to "socialize" much with others, but found sharing dinner with 3 other couples was one of the highlights of the cruise. We went to the disco nightly, to watch mostly. We were not the oldest, nor the youngest age group. We passed up the more "mature" entertainment offerings: piano bar, champagne bar, card room, cinema but took in all the "theater shows". We also struck out on our own in ports, not taking the offered excursions. We had a WONDERFUL time. The ship and crew made us feel like "royalty" just like the ad says. I honestly believe no one will EVER treat us as kindly as the crew did. The tipping was WELL worth it and I did not begrudge one single penny. There were approx 1800 passengers and 900 crew...wow. And, we were always amazed that there was so much room on board...as we look at our photos, we wonder where the rest of the people were??? Don't worry...Be Happy....Sal
Old October 17th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Lynda

Thanks, Sal. I am feeling more comfortable now. The Mercury sounds very much like the NCL Starward on which we took our first cruise although I suspect the Mercury is larger but by times we felt like the only people on the ship. There were no huge lineups anywhere, there were places on the ship where sometimes we had the whole place to ourselves. I had always wanted to be on one of those huge mega-ships but have heard some horror stories concerning the number of people that are stuffed onto them.
Old October 18th, 2004, 02:58 AM
Kim Sta

Hi Lyn

I will let you know how the Hawaiin cruise went when I get back.

We are off to Cuba next year, but the year afer that, we are going to Alaska!

Cant wait for that one - wish my life away from one hol to the next!

Kim
Old October 18th, 2004, 05:30 AM
Patti Smith

We are just like you and returned yesterday from Bermuda on Horizon. We Loved it!!!!
Would do Celebrity in a second!
Many people make a fuss over the formal aspect of the line, but I did not really feel it nor did it impact MY VACATION! There are casual nightsand dining areas for those nights you are too tried to dress after running around all day sightseeing.
It is a great line!
Have a ball!

Patti
Old October 18th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Dave K

Welcome back Patti, Hope you had fun, I am positive you saw me on the ship...because I was "the crazy hat" guy.
Old November 9th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Wiley

Default Re: Re: Re: Do we 'fit' on Celebrity?

At least you won't do what we did on Celeb. Thought "Informal" meant casual, and went to dinner the first nite in T-shirts and jeans!!!...Our 2 tablemates didn't say anything, but I hate to think what they were thinking .
Old November 9th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Do we 'fit' on Celebrity?

I think they should call it 'semi-formal' instead of 'informal'. Informal to me means not-formal! If it wasn't for these boards, I probably would have planned on casual clothes for the 'informal' evenings too. I'm wishing there were only formal and casual but I'm booked so we'll have to pack more dressy clothes.

Post Edited (11-09-04 17:59)
Old November 9th, 2004, 09:40 PM
KathieDM

Our first Celebrity cruise was on the Summit in Alaska, so we didn't wear shorts much. But we did wear jeans in the dining room at times except for dinner.
In Feb. we are going on Galaxy to the Panama Canal. It's much warmer than Alaska, so I will probably wear shorts a lot, except to dinner. We prefer the dining room because of the service. We eat way too much at buffets, anyway.
We are 60 and 63 and although we prefer the larger size of the RCI Voyager-class, we felt totally comfortable on Summit, so we are confident that Galaxy will be as enjoyable.
You will love Celebrity. We didn't dress any differently that we did on our RCI cruises. The only difference is we didn't change clothes after dinner on formal night, but I think the reports about the "Dress Code Police" are greatly exaggerated. lol
Have a great time!

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02
Explorer W. Carib 1/18/03
Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03
Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04
Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05
Old November 11th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Susan Hofer

You sound just like us so you will have no problem "fitting in". As far as your question about your table if you choose to eat elsewhere; your table is assigned to you and whether all 8 of you or 2 of you choose to sit there it is always yours. When we were in Alaska last year we saw some tables in the dining room that were never occupied and we were told that the ship was full. So obviously those people chose the casual dining option in the buffet area or ate in their rooms. You can order off the dinner menu if you choose to have dinner in your cabin.

As far as "informal": my husband hates to wear ties and substitues a silk turtleneck under his sportscoat and is perfectly respectable. On formal night I have seen everything from Sunday church dresses to beautiful gowns to lots of sequins. If you like to people watch, sit in the Rendevous Lounge before dinner on formal night and watch the fashion parade! You are going to love Celebrity.
Old November 11th, 2004, 11:01 AM
dee-lynn

We have tried land vacations and we will be going on our second cruise in April 05. Someone please tell me why it is that when the day is over at a land resort that I actually feel too tired or too bothered to dress for dinner in the evening but while cruising, I actually feel like getting dressed in nice clothing? I actually welcome that part of day. I feel it's much easier a transaction while cruising. Does anyone else feel this way?
Old November 16th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

My husband and I are in the "40" family and he is strictly a no dress up kinda guy. Loves to cruise and he will were a tie on formal nites but it is strictly a golf shirt and nice pants other nites. The only trouble we had was he was turned away downstairs in the theatre on formal nite because he had changed clothes. So we went upstairs and had no problem. Whatever, we only stayed a few minutes because the show was so hokey. This was on the Horizon last November. On every cruise we have ever been on you see alot of different walks of life. We generally just go with the flow. One interesting thing about the dining room was that a table mate showed up in sweat pants one night and no one seemed to notice. Of course, he marched to a different drum beat any way. Have a great time and just dress as you would to go out for a nice dinner except on formal nite and then really fluzzied(?) up. It's fun once in a while.