Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 19th, 2004, 12:37 PM
theclays

Default BYOB on Celebrity

Read a recent post which mentioned bring a case of wine aboard..is this allowed on Celebrity? Anyone sailing on Mercury on the 27th December? New Year's at sea.....wow!!
Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:28 PM
big apple

Default Re: BYOB on Celebrity

My suggestion would be to bring a reasonable amt. on board to last you until first port and then restock thru duty free shop. Have been doing this for yrs and no problem.Always bring my champagne for sail away party and a bottle in room on first formal nite.This way you are getting good prices and less than us retail in all cases.I was on Volendam last yr. and one man wheeled in a case of champagne and case of beer and went right on the ship.I f the cruise lines would be more resonable on their pricing instead of marking up some 3 times retail they might sell more at dinner.Youy will have real problem finding anything less than $20.
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Be advised that Celebrity now charges $20.00 corkage fee if you bring the wine to dinner.

Round trip San Francisco Mex Riv, Mercury May 4, 2005

Transatlantic from Rome on Galaxy Oct 17, 2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Old October 19th, 2004, 04:45 PM
cohengm

Default 750 ml vs 1.5L corkage fee?

Wow, in less than a year they went from $12 to $20 for a corkage fee. I've always wondered, does the corkage fee vary with the size of the wine bottle, i.e. 750ml vs. a 1.5 Liter bottle? I've also had no trouble bringing wine onboard, while in a foreign port, etc. As a matter of fact, the crew represented some of the bigger purchasers when we stopped in Colon, Panama.
Old October 19th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

I read on some of the threads that Celebrity takes away any alcohol purchased at the ports and gives it back to you at the end of the cruise. I guess we'll find out....
Old October 19th, 2004, 08:02 PM
hcat

I amstill getting over the $56 bottle of wine we purchased in Ocean liners..it was good & one of the least expensive in that venue We had it sent to the restaurant the next night- It was our anniv. so we slplurged.-..
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Cruise Maniac

Lyn... I've had it happen both ways. More often than not, I've been able to bring one bottle back onboard in my shopping bags and not had it confiscated. But I do remember one time they took a bottle of scotch from me in San Juan and I didn't get it back until the last night for packing. It was a gift so it didn't matter that time. Part of the problem that day was the large number of people bringing booze back... there was a HUGE pile of bottles near the gangway. I also was only carrying the scotch and a six-pack of diet Coke. They let me keep the diet Coke. One of the "hints" we've found to work best is to put the bottle in the bottom of a shopping bag with lots of other bags and go aboard with a returning tour bus. Just step into the middle of those people. If you go aboard and it's just a few people, they have more time to stop you and write up the paperwork on your purchase.
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:45 PM
cohengm

Default Re: Re: BYOB on Celebrity

Scotch and Wine are treated as "two different animals". With Scotch, you're \unlikely to bring it to the dinner table and pay a corkage fee. Also, you're more likely to get "drunk as a skunk" creating a security issue for the cruise line in addition to the monetary loss of you not buying drinks from their bars, etc.
Old October 20th, 2004, 03:30 PM
big apple

Stacy,I like your idea and if you e-mail me directly will pass along another secret of mine .
Old October 20th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Dave K

Or cough cough..pour it into water bottles (well clear liquors), thats how I got mine on.
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:23 PM
black_bart

Here we go again with the sneaking alcohol on board thing......this post will be up and running for the next month....they do have AA meetings on board all Celebrity ships. Listed as Friends of Bill W. on the daily schedule. Perhaps some of you might want to attend.
Old October 20th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

Post Edited (10-20-04 21:36)
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:28 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Re: BYOB on Celebrity

It might be more fun than your concern about dressing up for dinner.
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:40 PM
black_bart

Did someone get edited? awwwwwwwwwwwwww.....shame on you!
Old October 21st, 2004, 06:37 AM
Cruise Maniac

No, I edited myself actually. I was going to respond but decided it wasn't worth it.
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:18 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Re: BYOB on Celebrity

All I can tewll you is that early this October we were cruising on the Century and called to ask about bringing wine on board. They said we could bring one bottle each, they would take it from us when we boarded and would serve it to us in the dinning room ,upon request, for a $12 fee.
That was fine with us so we each brought a bottle of our choice. During check-in no one asked and we actually forgot about it till we were in our cabin dropping off our carry on so we decided to just keep it and enjoy it pre-dinner on our balcony. We noticed in the literature on board that they listed a corkage fee of $15 not the $12 we had been told over the phone, but since we never brought it to the dinning room, I don't know what they actually would have charged.
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:27 PM
gunner22a

With Celebrity wine is never an issue if kept to moderation. For my next 14 day panama cruise both mother and I will have 4 bottles of our favourite in our luggage and maybe 1 or 2 in the carry on. Hard stuff is strictly prohibited and it will be "held" till the end of the cruise. Some will come to the dining room with us and we will gladly pay the corkage fee. The majority will be savoured on our aft cabin deck for nothing more than the original purchace price. There will be a 100$ bottle for the evening of our 25th wedding anniversary which we will be honoured to share with our table mates. Just remember a good friend of mines favourite expression

"Everything in moderation, including moderation"