Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:04 PM
KathieDM

Default Ground transp from Huston to Galveston

We are sailing Galaxy out of Galveston on Feb 3 and just wondered if the Celebrity shuttle is the best way to get to the ship from the airport. I checked into renting a car, but the ones I've called so far don't have a drop-off point at the port. We can't go in a day early due to scheduling conflicts. I booked a direct flight from Dayton to Huston which gets us there (barring delays) at 8:13 AM, so we have plenty of time to get to the ship. The shuttle is $62, $18 more than going from the Miami airport to the port there, but this is a lot farther to go and we like not having to mess with the luggage.
Just wondering what other cruisers have done or are planning to do. Anyone else sailing on our cruise?

Explorer E. Carib. 1/12/02
Explorer W. Carib. 1/18/03
Summit Alaska cruise/tour 8/3/03
Adventure S. Carib. 2/8/04
Galaxy Panama Canal/W. Carib 2/3/05
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: Ground transp from Huston to Galveston

you dont say what airport bush or hobby-----------2 rental car companies with offices in galv---hertz and enterprise ---if i were in your shoes i think i would use the cruise shuttle and not hassle with a car

Old November 6th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Jpgirl

Definitely don't hassle with a car if you've never driven in Houston. I'm from Ohio and driving in Houston can be a nightmare if you don't know where you're going. Traffic will still be heavy at 9:00 AM.Getting to port from Hobby is easier than from Bush. If I were you I'd take the shuttle ( there are also airport shuttles to port) and then do some sight seeing at The Strand which is walking distance from the ship. We're cruising out of Galveston in '05 and we're going the limo route from our north Houston home just to avoid driving in traffic-starting our vacation stress free. Good luck
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:48 PM
KathieDM

Thanks for the replies. I am going to book the shuttle tomorrow. It seemed like the most hassle-free way to go. We will be flying into Bush. DH is very paranoid about getting lost because he never got lost in the early years of his life. Poor thing, he used to be perfect until he met me. I've been getting lost all my life and don't panic because I know I'll figure it out eventually. lol
We've always had good experiences with cruise line shuttles and it is worth the peace of mind for us not to worry about anything.

Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05
Old November 7th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Brahmama

we are flying in from DFW. Is it better to fly to Bush or Hobby? It's the same price on the air, but of course we will need to get from there to the port!!!

any opinions?
Old November 7th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Passenger

Hobby is closer to the port than Bush...
Old November 8th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Yeoman

Hobby is closer to the port than Bush...>>>

but it is more of a regional airport --we could not get decent connections into hobby so se settled on bush

Old November 8th, 2004, 04:36 PM
KathieDM

We are flying into Bush. Called TA today and gave her our flight info to relay to the cruiseline. Also told her to book the shuttle. Glad it's all done and I can relax, knowing we have transpo and luggage handlingall taken care of.
Now I'm wondering how they work it if we actually arrive on time at 8:13 AM and can't get on the ship until 11 or 12. Having experienced delays almost every time we've flown in the last 3 years, I figure we'll arrive later and won't have any time to kill.

Winter in Dayton is usually not too brutal (just GRAY!) , but 2 years ago we had 65 in of snow! AARRGGHH! We must've gotten Alaska's snow. That summer we went on a cruise/tour and people in Talkeetna said they had hardly any snow at all.

BTW-Brahmama, where is DFW? What cruise are you taking?

Galaxy Panama Canal 2/3/05
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Brahmama

Oops, I haven't checked this one in a while! Sorry.
KathieDM,
DFW is Dallas-Ft.Worth airport.

Our cruise isn't until MAY! Seems like forever. It'll be our first cruise on the Galaxy.

Carol
Old November 20th, 2004, 12:13 AM
Skydeck

We just returned from the Nov 1st sailing of the Galaxy out of Galveston. We used Galveston Limousine Service, cost was $60 roundtrip per person. They picked us up at the airport with a bus and transported us to the pier. They were there when we returned and got us promptly back to the airport. We flew into IAH, which is further out that Hobby. The bus picked us up first and then proceeded on to Hobby to pick up additional people heading to the Galveston pier.

I had checked with the car rental companies about a one way drop off. It was possible in a few instances, but more costly the bus for the two of us.

If you do a google search for Galveston Limousine you will find their site and their 1-800 telephone number.

Have a great cruise.