CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Summit 1/16 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/211542-summit-1-16-a.html)

Redd November 24th, 2004 09:49 AM

Summit 1/16

Hi folks,
This is our first sailing on the Summit. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or hints that they would pass along. We're in cabin 9064 on the sky deck. My husband and I are both a little younger than the typical Celebrity crowd. (He's 30ish, I'm 25ish). Anything you can tell us about the boat, our cabin, or the itinerary, will be very appreciated!

Many Thanks,
Mary

summit011605 November 29th, 2004 11:25 PM

Re: Summit 1/16

We are in our early 30s and will be on the same cruise. This is our 2nd cruise. The 1st was with Royal Carribean and we were very satisfied with the experience. But there were alot of seniors on board.

mickstr68 December 1st, 2004 11:41 AM

We'll at least I won't be he only 30 some on there. I'm 36 and my wife will be 28 on the day we sail. I'm looking forward to seeing this ship also- I heard a lot about it.

Redd December 2nd, 2004 04:59 PM

I'm glad to know that we won't be the only young folks on this cruise. We're traveling with friends, so that makes 8 of us that are under forty!!! We love Celebrity's quality, but sure wish there were more folks our age. Our last cruise on the Connie, it seemed like there was only a handful.
Happy Cruising
It's getting close, I can't hardly wait!!!

melnda December 2nd, 2004 05:14 PM

Attached is my review of our 11/15/04 Cruise for your review:

Celebrity Summit November 15, 2004 – W. Caribbean – 11 Day Cruise

Ship: Am comparing this ship to previous cruises the past 4 years ( Costa Atlantica; RC Radiance of the Seas; Norwegian Sun; Carnival Spirit and Legend and HAL Osterdam. This three year-old ship is tastefully decorated, in a low-key way. It does not exhibit the glitz and gaudiness of the new ships we have been on in the past four years. All common areas are coordinated in terms of color and fabrics, most pleasing to the eye. At 91,000 tons she is indeed large and very spacious. Much varied and beautiful art work throughout the ship. Very nice common areas including Celebrity theatre .. one of the nicest, best decorated and well set up in terms of rows, fixed tables, and space for people to get by those already seated. Revelations lounge … large area for dancing on deck 11 (where the DJ and band plays every night. Waterfall cafeteria (breakfast and lunch) – light, bright and nicely decorated; Cosmopolitan main dining room. Elegant in a word!

I also felt that the ride was a little bit smoother than most ships! Had no problems with the much publicized gas turbine engines.

Ships guests: Only 30 children on this ship! More mature average age than most ships. All well behaved! Many many dressed up on the ship’s three formal nights. Most men wore tuxes. Could not help but notice that there was a significant amount of British residents on this ship.

Room: 7193 far aft, port side is spacious 1B category (190 sq. ft.) with small balcony. Lots of storage room. Larger stall shower than most ships. Lots of shelves in bathroom, below the sink. Hair dryer in bathroom above the commode. Balcony room is comfortable though not as large as we had on HAL’s Osterdam last Xmas. Balcony is cramped and confining. Note: the balcony rooms at the dead back of the ship have larger balconies.

Route: Key West; Costa Rica; Panama; Aruba; Curacao (substituted for Grand Cayman). Key West: Took the $22 Conch train tour that we booked on land. Same price as ship …. but 30 minutes longer than ships’ tour. Nice way to get the flavor and feel of the whole area. Did a $25 pp private taxi tour of Costa Rica with the Tortuguero canal. When you get off the ship go past the tour vendors and walk into air-conditioned building right before the main road. Tours are cheapest there … by almost half. Canal ride is mostly a very pleasant boat ride. We did see a few sloths, and a lot of birds, and lizards. No crocs. Nice shopping at the pier numerous vendors’ stalls … offering beautiful wood products, cutting boards, entire salad bowl sets for $25. Your can certainly find some nice souvenirs there … and some bargaining can be done. Probably the best souvenirs of the whole trip!

Transportation vehicles were on strike the day we pulled into Panama. All ship’s tours were cancelled. Shopped at the pier. Not much there, except large, local supermarket where we bought inexpensive souvenirs. Heineken Draft beer was only 65 cents per can at liquor store right at pier (vs. $4.50 on board). Needless to say we brought cans on the ship. Most interesting thing at the Panama pier were the miniature monkeys children were passing around … $1 for a picture. Sweet little creatures. Enterprising young children.

Missed Aruba due to virus or food poisoning (from meal the night before? … Scallops) .. very ill the whole next day. Was not the only one who got sick on the ship. The last four days we heard many comments about people who were sick. First ship I have been on where I got sick.. Fernette Branca (bitters) did not help. That’s a first.

In Curacao, we took a local (group bus) tour of the island $25pp.- 2 hours. Although we did not shop down town, the bus did drive through many streets. Looked like a lot of shops. Island is charming, upscale, very European in feel and yes, those colorful painted houses are everywhere on the island. Shopping at the pier is dismal. Walk from the pier to downtown is easily 15-20’. It was definitely the rainy season in Curacao.

Service: High point of this ship is its service. Superb! Employees seem genuinely happy, eager to meet and greet and willing to help out in anyway they can. Mendes our room attendant was the most efficient we have ever had. Our waiters/assistant ( table 484)– Erol and Clikson were wonderful. Clikson even performed a magic trick every night at the end of the meal and shared the secrets of the magic with us. We tipped all of these individuals beyond the suggested gratuity (which we charged to the room).

Entertainment: This got better as the cruise went on and overall was very good. Four shows by Celebrity singers and dancers …e ach one was better and better and incorporated more sets. Two female vocalists had superb voices. Samantha Jay … talented British musician (plays 3 instruments) and Tommy Bond (pianist) were great entertainers. Kevin Flynn was a good comedian, but we have seen funnier on most ships. Celebrity band players were great. very versatile players.

Cruise Director: Don. Very nice addition to the ship. He is the right age (maturity) related well to passengers of all ages, particular the mature audience that is prevalent on this ship. He is most visible at night in the Celebrity theatre and the various venues. He was in a word most … a gracious host. His young assistants could learn a lot from him.

Ship’s newsletters: Best of any ships. The most informative, the longest and simply well done. You were never lacking for information even on a ship where there were very few PA announcements.

Embarkation/Debarkation: Smoothest, easiest and quickest of all the ships! Wonderful and greatly appreciated! I doubt that this system will ever be topped anywhere else.

Food: Unfortunately this is a very weak point of this ship and perhaps shocking since everything else is so well done. It was not only our opinion, but also that of our table mates and many people we met. The only exceptions being the Aqua Spa Café and the The Normandie alternative restaurant, which I will cover further down.

The food in the Waterfall Café (breakfast and lunch) was mediocre at best. Not appetizing, not great tasting. Pizzas were good if you got a slice fresh out of the oven. The pasta bar always had overcooked pasta and weak tasting sauces. Hamburgers and hot dogs ok, nothing special. French fries were good if you got them right out of the deep fryer. Did not sample the sandwich station, which is at the back end of the ship, not conveniently located.

Many of the meals in the Cosmopolitan restaurant ultimately were disappointing. Soups consistently over salty, appetizers nothing special. Entrees …. Roast beef repeated constantly … fish not a forte. Desserts were also nothing special. There were a few exceptions … Rack of Lamb (offered two nights out of 11) was very good, but overcooked each time. Rack of Veal (last night) was actually good. Lobster (tail) was ok. Not mushy as described by other reviews, firm but lacking a good taste that one would expect. It was nice size, however.

Exceptions: Coffee onboard is very good. Gratis beverages: tea; lemonade; punch and guava juice.
If you like soppresata salami … the real stuff … it usually was at the Waterfall café every morning. No prosciutto until the last night at the Cosmopolitan … on melon as an appetizer. One meager slice. I asked for more.

We found the lunches at the Cosmopolitan restaurant even more disappointing than the Waterfall café.

Bread was good on this ship!

Aqua Spa café: This is a separate low calorie, cold plate area located past the pool where creative and light breakfasts and gourmet looking lunch plates are created. Very nice touch. Cold soups also available. Appetizing in looks and taste. No other ship has this upscale menu.

The Normandie: The $30pp alternative dinner. Don’t miss it. It will be the only best food you will have on this ship. Room is beautifully decorated. Service is supreme and food the best you will have anywhere. Try the warm goat cheese soufflé. The Chateaubriand for two … most divine cut of meat … and any of the desserts … especially the Bombe
(white and chocolate mousse). Don’t miss the cheese trolley with the finest aged cheeses that you can sample. Make sure to pick the aged goat cheese!

Again, those of you who rebel at paying additional for a meal … don’t let the meager $30 cause you to miss the best meal you will have on any ship … or even on land. It is that special.

Pools: High marks for decent pools. Large salt water pool 15’ x 35’ - could actually do laps when it was not too crowded. Thalassotherapy pool .. adjacent to main pool is next to Aqua Spa café and actually is a very large Jacuzzi that has three forms of stimulating, pulsing action: on each side … a set of pipes that you lay on that bubble and pulsate; in the center …. One very large pulsing stream that you “try to stand in front of” and get the biggest blast of bubbles from … and four sky high spigots that come down on your shoulders and give you one heck of a shoulder massage. This gratis pool is a godsend for adults … and it is free. No $15 a day charge. Thank goodness.

Gym: Well equipped … as nice as you will see on any ship. With appropriate amount of weight bearing equipment! Which most ships do not have? Nice workout, exercise floor. A lot of exercise classes (free and paid for … are offered.).

Can’t comment as we did not use … but the spa services were always busy. Since it is next to the gym we could easily see this. The ship appears to offer a myriad of spa packages.

Overall Rating: 1-5 (1 being the lowest; 5 the highest)

Ship: 4

Food: 1- 2

Service 5+

Route/Ports: 4

Entertainment: 4

Cruise Director (Don): 4- 5

Ship’s Events: 4-5

Ship’s Newsletter: 5

Embarkation/Debarkation: 5

Melinda from PA.

Redd December 3rd, 2004 07:52 AM

Melinda,
Thank you so much!!! It is wonderful to know that the ship is everything that I'm hoping it would be! Sometimes these boards make you wonder. I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise! Thank you for the great review, it's very helpful and we truly appreciate it. Everyday I think we get a little more excited!

Thanks!!!!

CruzCrazy December 3rd, 2004 09:28 PM

I went on the Summit last December on its' 10-night ultimate southern caribbean and I must say this was the perfect "10" cruise. I would do this same cruise on the Summit every year if I could. Although I just went on the Constellation and now it's a close race between the two. The Connie is up there as a "10" also.

This cruise is great for the 20 and 30's crowd. Don't let an older crowd discourage you from Celebrity. Since there are a few youngsters on this thread, you should make arrangements to connect on the ship. I have met so many nice people on past cruises, we now cruise often.

Everything was perfect on this cruise. If you like martini's see if Juanda (nice young girl from the Phillipines) is a server at the martini bar. She makes the best I've ever had.

The pastries at the Cova Cafe, lattes and specialty coffees are fabulous.

The Spa and Solarium is wonderful. You are in for a treat.

The dining room food is great. If you are a beef eater, the steak was good every night.

Keep in mind, Celebrity keeps a low profile. You will never hear any announcements except for the Captain's update. No "It's BINGO time".

You will have robes to use, no matter what class of cabin you are in.

When you come back from port, there will be nice cool towels offered to cool off. Nice touch.

The service on these ships are top notch.

Please let us know how you liked the cruise when you get back. I know you will be a Celebrity cruiser groupie after your've experienced it.

summit011605 December 3rd, 2004 10:33 PM

Sounds like we will be treated like royalty!!!! Only 43 more days!!!

GoatPro December 14th, 2004 11:24 AM

Re: Re: Summit 1/16

Just got off the Summit on Dec 6 2004. My husband and I were acutely aware of the older manifest but it did not stop us from having a great time. The added ammenities were a nice touch (cold towels when you get back to the ship) and the food was out of this world, the best we have had in 7 cruises. We were in 9091 and we agree that Captain George and staff provided the smoothest cruise and no mechanical problems during the entire trip. Our table was the farthest aft on deck 5 and our wait staff was the best ever. Zana our somelier (wine steward) was also the best we have ever seen in all our cruises. Those at our table that were drinking cokes with dinner had their drinks at their place setting upon arrival every evening. Please say hello to Fernando who is a waiter in Revelations from Deb and Bob in Colorado. We did not have a bad day and the folks we met were a delight to be with.

We enjoyed the Summit so much that we have rebooked on her for the April 11 sailing.

Bon Voyage to all sailing her and you will love her.

Deb in Colorado

mickstr68 December 14th, 2004 12:11 PM

Re: Re: Re: Summit 1/16

Thanks for the up to date info! Really looking forward to the trip now!! Now where are those documents at?- LOL!