CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Celebrity (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/)
-   -   Mercury from San Francisco (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/celebrity/211557-mercury-san-francisco.html)

Cruisegal December 2nd, 2004 09:39 PM

Mercury from San Francisco

Wondering if anyone has travelled this route before? Is it warm enough to be outside at the pool in bathing suits as we travel down the California Coast? We live in SF and it would be so convenient, however we would consider flying to LA or San Diego to have an overall warmer cruise. Any opinions or feedback?
Thanks in advance!

les December 5th, 2004 02:07 PM

Re: Mercury from San Francisco

I've sailed this itin. at two different times. Once in November 2003 which also included the Mex.l Riv. Had beautiful weather in both Monterey and Catalina. The second time I believe March 2004 was the true Cal. Coastal and included Cabo. Again beautiful weather at both Calif. ports. During these months it can be hit or miss. On our two trips, however, there were plenty of bathers by the pool enjoying the sun even if the air temps weren't that high. Good Luck!

Leslie

Vision of the Seas - 12/12/04

Cruisegal December 6th, 2004 12:29 AM

Leslie, we are thinking of the 8 day in March that goes to the Mexican Riviera.
How were the seas?
I just can't decide whether to fly to San Diego or LA or go with the convenience of a port 20 blocks from my house... there are more options for dates to choose from if we fly south first.
Thanks!

les December 6th, 2004 03:51 PM

Cruisegal

Seas are generally very calm going down the coast and from port to port. The sail back up north generally is a little more exciting, but certainly tame by most standards. I live in No. Calif. near Sacto. and have sailed out of all three embarking ports you mention. I generally drive to the port regardless ( I am not a good air traveler). I must say the short drive to S.F. certainly beats the all day to San Diego. I am driving to LA in three days for my cruise departing on Sunday (no big deal). Nothing beats sailing under the Golden Gate though! Also when you return only being a couple hours from home and no crazy airports! Good luck whatever you decide, you really can't go wrong.

Leslie

Vision of the Seas - 12/12/04

Wross2 December 7th, 2004 01:35 AM

I would definately leave from San Francisco. I did Mercury 10 Day Mex Riviera from San Diego last year and Port of San Diego was a mad house. Embarkation went smoothly but the return was crazy. Too much traffic and took forever to get my baggage......Its not a good way to end a vacation. Just think how nice it would be if you were home when that ship pulls in. Either way you will have a wonderful time. The Mercury is absolutely beautiful with an incredible staff. Have a great trip!

Rickthe cruiser February 12th, 2005 08:32 AM

Re: Re: Mercury from San Francisco

We're going on the Mexican Riviera cruise out of SF on Mercury. We also like the short bus trip to SF which eliminates the air travel days which are so tiring. We cruised to Alaska Roundtrip from SF a couple of years ago. What a delight!