Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Shell in San Diego

Default Summit's 14 Day Cruise -San Diego to Vancouver (including Al

Hi fellow-cruisers!

First I have to say, after reading the posts under "Celebrity Cancels Cruise" I am feeling quite a bit more nervous than when I first logged on today!

But, with that aside, what I wanted to ask was is anyone else on here booked on the Summit's May 6th 14 day cruise, the one from San Diego to Vancouver with stops in Alaska? Or has anyone taken this cruise in the past? My husband and I are considering it and would love to hear any feedback we could beforehand. Since we live in San Diego, it sounds like the perfect way to travel up along the entire west coast, saving ourselves the airfare in the beginning of the trip. It will only be our 2nd cruise and the longest one we've ever taken (a 10 night Mexican Riviera cruise on The Mercury is the only one under our belts so far). Also, we have heard that the ocean can be a bit rough off the coast of San Francisco and also during the **outside** passage jaunt between Victoria and Hubbard Glacier. But, we have heard & read great things about the Summit...and great things about the northbound route back from Hubbard Glacier to Vancouver. Any tips or experience with this itinerary would be gratefully received. Here is the schedule to help clarify:

06-May-2005 San Diego, California
07-May-2005 Catalina Island, California
08-May-2005 At Sea
09-May-2005 San Francisco, California
10-May-2005 At Sea
11-May-2005 Seattle, Washington
12-May-2005 Victoria, British Columbia
13-May-2005 At Sea
14-May-2005 Hubbard Glacier (Cruising)
15-May-2005 Juneau, Alaska
16-May-2005 Skagway, Alaska
17-May-2005 Sitka, Alaska
18-May-2005 Ketchikan, Alaska
19-May-2005 Inside Passage (Cruising)
20-May-2005 Vancouver, British Columbia

We are considering a mid-ship CC balcony stateroom, Vista Deck (have it on hold right now). We would have perferred a Sky Suite, but every single kind of suite appears to be completely booked-up already, and on every web site I can find, including Celebrity's. Has anyone out there had any luck with getting an upgrade to a suite at the last second? Are there any tips we should know for being put on a waiting list for suite openings?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
Michelle and Dave
(2 cruise rookies!)
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2005, 05:46 PM
hcat

Default Re: Summit's 14 Day Cruise -San Diego to Vancouver (includin

We were on Summit in March . Other than a drab decor of greys & browns & some bizarre art work, it is a great ship .Definitely try the specialty rest if you have not gone before.Ship is bigger than Mercury but we enjoyed them both,,, the T pool is large & free on the Summit..probably a plus for a nothern trip.
Old January 9th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Pooh Bear

We've done the repo cruise 2X on Summit out of San Diego and LOVED it both times! We did it in May 2003 and 2004 and would have booked for May 2005 except we wanted to try Millie in the Med. this May - we booked that cruise while on Summit Alaska repo May 2004. I've not been following the Trans-Canal you referenced - but we've done Infinity 2X Trans-Canal and really enjoyed it both times (both times in December).

We are not sensitive to the ship's movement. I can address the weather. Some advised that May was not a good time to cruise Alaska - however, after 2 cruises in Alaska - both in May, we may have been extremely lucky - but the weather was great both trips!

We booked CC category on both repo cruises and enjoyed that category. I couldn't see booking a suite when the major difference (IMHO) was the butler....I wouldn't know what to do with a butler ()....but then, there is more space in a suite than in the CC.

We just loved this cruise and hope you enjoy it a fraction as much as we did! We know several folks who were on both 2003 and 2004 Summit with us who will also be on the 2005 repo!

Pooh Bear
Old January 9th, 2005, 05:58 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Summit's 14 Day Cruise -San Diego to Vancouver (incl

All I know is that when we were booked on Century for last fall ,every time I checked the site different cabins were available. When we booked I think there were 3 sky suites listed available. Three weeks later, all had gone (we booked one). Then a month or so later several showed up again.
If you want a suite, I'd keep checking for availability, especially around the time final payment is due. Sometimes people who have reserved back out then and new cabins open up.

Good luck if you do decide to go. I'd love to see Alaska some day but haven't got there yet.
So much world so little time!
Old January 10th, 2005, 02:38 AM
Shell in San Diego

Default Re: Re: Re: Summit's 14 Day Cruise -San Diego to Vancouver (

Wow ~ Thank you so much! And especially Pooh Bear and gardencat! ( I feel like I'm addressing an audience of small, furry animals!) We are looking forward to the whole experience and will just go with "open minds" about the weather and what it will be like that time of year. And we will check back with Celebrity closer to the final payment date about a suite opening up...thank you..that gives me hope and is terrific advice! If not though, it sounds like the balcony CC rooms are a great bargain and have everything you really need anyway. Well, thanks again all! This is a super forum of super people! (who know how to live!)!

Happy Cruisin'!
Michelle & Dave
Old January 10th, 2005, 12:00 PM
Admiral

We did the reverse itinerary of this cruise in September. There was a mechanical issue on the ship 10 days prior (which should be nonrecurring) causing a few ports to be cancelled. The cruise and the land parts we extended on both ends made for a fabulous 19 day adventure. Summit is the only ship I have sailed o twice and I would not hesitate to sail on her again. As experienced sailors you should not have any problem with the seas, but , yes, the "outside" passage can be a bit bumpy. Prepare for almost any kind of weather and this way nothing will bother you. We got good use out of unlined Gortex jackets, water proof shoes, a gortex hat and even light gloves.
We are actually discussing redoing the trip sometime again, possibly from San Diego to Vancouver in May (although not i 2005). Highlights, were Hubbard Glacier, Whale watching (Orcas) out of Victoria. In addition Land and Sea with Salmon bake in Juneau (this took us whale watching for humpbacks but we also saw stellar sealions and bald eagles, Mendenhall Glacier and a fabulous outdoor salmon bake).
We did not do the White Pass Railroad but did do a bus trip called "to the summit". This took us up to the top of White Pass with great photo op stops.
Plan to spend some time in Vancouver if you can swing it.
Old January 10th, 2005, 11:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

We took this cruise last May and loved it so much that we have booked again for this May. The Summit is beautiful, not glitzy, but elegant. Food was good to wonderful, and so was the service. We really enjoyed Sunday's 'High Tea' and the only midnight buffet was worth seeing even if you don't eat anything. The Spa food was nice, light and tasty. The gym has plenty of equipment and I think about 12-14 treadmills. We have booked the same stateroom (on Vista deck) as last May, it's a Concierge Class although it wasn't last year. We had the same category on the Mille in 2001 on the Istanbul to Barcelona cruise. Mille is identical to the Summit except for some of the interior color schemes. The CC stateroom is roomy with a sofa, bed is quite comfortable and there's plenty of room in the closet for even my heavy packing. Balcony is not huge, but we managed to sit out there quite a lot wrapped in blankets with our hot cocoa. Our room attendants were on the ball, kept our room immaculate and called us each morning before delivering our breakfast that we ordered via in-house TV each night. The Spa and T-Pool is pure 5 Star luxury. I really enjoyed having my hair done for formal night in the salon as I watched gigantic snow covered mountains through the picture windows. (Stylists are quite good too). We like the idea of a 14 night cruise, it's very relaxing to us. The ports are fun, love San Francisco and Seattle...plus Victoria is really pretty. Then there's Alaska...unbelievably beautiful. I just posted about the Misty Fjord flight/cruise....our favorite excursion by far. We also enjoyed the Mendenhall Glacier/ Cruise...saw lots of whales on that one. We had pretty nice weather last May, but it was two weeks later than this one...not much rain except a bit in Seattle and Victoria. There was a bit of roughness off the coast of Oregon, but not all that bad...this ship can handle it. May is usually the driest month, but don't forget your rain gear and a parka anyway. I wouldn't worry too much about that Suite...you'll love this cruise!

We live3 1/2 hours from San Diego in the high desert....too bad about the Chargers....we were rooting for them...but there's always that other California team, the USC Trojans!

Patty

Post Edited (01-11-05 00:09)
Old January 11th, 2005, 08:01 AM
Joe Reynolds

What a wonderful trip. I sailed out of San Francisco to Alaska once and liked going under the Golden Gate bridge, being reminded of the sailors that did that in the 40's to protect us.
Old January 11th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Cruise Maniac

I took a photo of us going under the Golden Gate last May..it was so close, felt like you could reach out and touch the bottom. My sister & I have wonderful memories of that bridge..we left on the USS Randall from San Francisco in the early 50's to join my father who was stationed in Japan. Dad had been there 10 months before Mom and us kids could join him. Now that was quite the 'cruise'...took 18 days to reach Japan in rough seas.

Patty

Old January 14th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Dave (formersummit photog

As a former employee, i can well reccomend these so called repo-cruises, but more so this particular one, i have sailed, eastern, western, alaskan, and panama canal cruises, and the panama, followed by alaska cruise is one of the best i have ever done, more from the ports than anything else.

the advantages are there for all, really, for people who want nothing more than to relax allday everyday, and eat to there hearts content, you can, its the beauty of cruising.

a tip though, for anyone wanting to head off to alcatraz, book in advance either through the ship's shore-ex (if available) or direct using the website for the company ferrying people across to the island, oh and another thing, get wrapped up if your heading up on deck for the sail in, which in every sense of the saying, is breathe taking, lol

regards
JD Palfreeman
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evelyn Richardon

The ship is excellent, but I would caution you , re the return flight from Vancouver.

Allow plenty of time to catch your flight home.

a. The off loading of luggage was total chaos, I never did get mine after searching for almost an hour I had to leave for the airport without it, it was found later that day but then was put onto another ship of another cruise line and went on a trip to Alaska on its own.! The company handling the luggage is not Celebrity but a sub contracter.

b. The Security line at the airport is horrendous in length,then you have to go through a second line and US Immigration as well, it takes a very long time to complete and some passengers were unable to get their flights in time.

c. The airport is large and you may have to walk a long way to your gate., my gate changed twice within 30 mins. and a long walk each time
Old January 16th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Our flight was easy from Vancouver to Seattle to San Diego, and I don't remember any long lines, however, we did have a problem getting some of our luggage. Two days later Celebrity did deliver our bags to our home at 2 AM after they went from Vancouver to Seattle to San Diego to Portland, Oregon and then finally back to Ontario. The reason our bags went to Portland was because they said there were no flights from San Diego directly to Ontario (CA)...at least that is what they told us. Ha! They wanted us to spend the night in San Diego so we could retrieve the bags the next day and we said no way. Since we are doing the exact cruise this May we plan to spend that return night in San Diego.....just in case....

Old January 17th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Susan Hofer

We did the San Francisco to Alaska to Vancouver in May '03 and loved it. You can read my review on this site. We were on Mercury. Our weather was spectacular w/lots of sun even if the temps were in the 50-60's. The first day out from California to Victoria was bouncy so be prepared. We were fine but heard of others who were staying in the cabin. So much to see in San Francisco, but you do have to book Alcatraz far in advance. Fisherman's Wharf is fun and Chinatown intriguing. Have fun!