Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:31 PM
kubies

Default liquor & wine prices

We enjoy having a drink in our cabin while we dress for dinner but don't attempt to sneak it onboard in our luggage. Too much hassle,etc. This is our first Celebrity cruise and we were wondering what a bottle of scotch would cost from room service (what we have done in the past on other lines). Secondly, what is the price range for a bottle of wine in the dining room? Thanks for any info you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:15 PM
newmexicoNita

Default Re: liquor & wine prices

Bottle of wine in the dining room: anywhere from about $20 upwards to whatever you want to pay; I would say the average price is about $30.00 per bottle plus !5% of course. As for smuggling it on the ship; you don't have to, just put a bottle of scotch in your carry on luggage. You will be fine. We got zapped cause our grand daughter who had just turned 21 decided to buy a whole bunch of rum in San Juan and try to carry it on in one of those liquor boxes the stores give you. She got caught thus we just turned ours over. You can bring wine on with no problem, but if you bring it to the table the corkage fee is about $15. i don't know how much a bar set up is on Celebrity. On NCL it's about $40 to $45.00 for a fair brand of scotch.

NMNita
Old February 2nd, 2005, 05:33 PM
big apple

No trouble bringing wine on getting on the ship but they are now taking it down the line and make you check with the wine steward as to the nite you want it served plus $15 corkage.Got caught in 2 ports last week on the Zenith out of Jax.For the record I am pretty good at beating the system.With a $10 bottle of wine you would still be ahead of their over priced wine but cannot have for your room.The only othewr advice would be to take in numerous bottles upon embarkation and hope they do not change in this regards.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:04 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: liquor & wine prices

I found the wine in the specialty resturant to be extremely expensive. The cheapest wine they offered was around $58.00.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old February 3rd, 2005, 08:32 AM
Easy Goer

kubie,

I just bought a bottle of Glenlivet as a "bon voyage" package to be placed in my cabin. It was $55 and includes nuts and soda.

http://www.celebrity.com/shopceleb/g...and_champagnes

Tim
Old February 3rd, 2005, 09:42 AM
newmexicoNita

$55 for Glenlivet isn't bad, $50 plus for a bottle of wine, specialty restaurant or not is crazy. Big Apple, sounds like Celebrity is cracking down just like NCl and others will follow. You know it's those of us who spend money on drinks that also like to have one in our cabin. Those who are nearly tee totaller or are have no problems with the liquor policy : they also spend no or nearly no money on drinks. We are the ones that help make the ships booze profit. Don't get me wrong, I am not a huge drinker but we do like a drink in our cabin before dinner or before night night time and drink wine with dinner, will have a drink in a bar before dinner with friends and maybe in the show room or while at the piano bar. Let's see if the other lines start watching for liquor being brought on.

NMNita
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Chris Anderson

> No trouble bringing wine on getting on the ship but they are now
> taking it down the line and make you check with the wine steward
> as to the nite you want it served plus $15 corkage.

That's absurd. How is one expected to know which night is appropriate for which wine until the table has made their dinner decisions? Any sommelier that thinks otherwise...

One distinction -- was this at initial embarkation or at subsequent ports? I wasn't clear from your original post.

For what it's worth, our experience has been consistent. We brought ours onboard in carry-on to the Summit in Dec 04, kept them in the emptied-out mini-fridge in our cabin, and sent *appropriate* bottles down after we had a chance to consider the posted dinner menu in the afternoon or as soon as we returned from a late shore excursion. The correct approach is to give the bottle, marked with cabin and table number, to the cabin steward. It's then taken down to be kept at an appropriate temperature until your seating. The sooner you can get this to your cabin steward, the less hassle it is for him.

The $15 corkage fee is correct.
Old February 6th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Chris Anderson

> $55 for Glenlivet isn't bad, $50 plus for a bottle of wine,
> specialty restaurant or not is crazy

Since we all know what a fifth of 12yo Glenlivet is supposed to cost at retail (about $36), we know the markup on that. But how can you say $50 is too much for a bottle of wine? WHICH wine?

In my experience, Celebrity is marking up their wines to just about 50% over local retail, same as that Glenlivet you think is not unreasonably priced. Are you saying you wouldn't consider spending $33 for a bottle of wine at retail?
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:47 AM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Re: liquor & wine prices

Prices may very from state to state but Ican promise you that the mark up against sc retail is some 3 to 4 times my store.Korbel champagne is$8.70 at Sams Walmart.What is it at Celebrity?
Old February 7th, 2005, 08:55 AM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Re: liquor & wine prices

No problem at initial boarding however much more difficult down the line.Sorry about not knowing what wine with which main course Maybe this is why they want you to buy from the wine list Also was told that wine server gets $5 on corkage irregardless of your cost and that cruise will get $10 They have taken this charge up very rapidly the last 3 yrs.My point if they would offer some wine in the 15-20 dollar range they might sell a few bottles more.
Old February 7th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Chris Anderson

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: liquor & wine prices

> Also was told that wine server gets $5 on corkage irregardless of your
> cost and that cruise will get $10

If you bring your own, that is correct. Of the $15 fee, the server gets $5. On wine purchased from their list, the standard ship-wide 15% gratuity is applied. As a result, your server is money ahead if you order theirs and it's more than a $33 bottle of wine. If you order something less (e.g., the Celebrity branded chardonnay), they come out behind.

Since we tend to bring our own > $33 wine for about 1/2 of our table needs, I will typically give our wine steward an additional tip at the end of the voyage, especially when they're willing to offer extra services. Our last wine steward (Vesta - Summit Dec '04) would run down to the specialty restaurant and bring up more appropriate stemware (those that offer you that service have to return these glasses to the specialty restaurant washed and intact, too), was particular about assuring the wines we'd brought with us were served at correct temperatures, decanted as appropriate, etc. She wasn't as familiar with various wines as might have been appropriate, but the service was outstanding.
Old February 7th, 2005, 02:50 PM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: liquor & wine prices

Chris,based on your last post would assume you enjoy a good bottle of wine with dinner.Celebrity is now offering for select members and also at another time an opportunity to blend red wines in a most informative seminar held in the main dining room At the end of the event you are asked to taste a Kendall Jackson and then you will attempt to duplicate using the various reds placed in front of you.This has become very popular and will probably go into all Celebrity ships.Much different than the old sampling that they do still offer but will have you taste many different foods that will compliment the various wines.We did pay $10 for the food program.
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Chris Anderson

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: liquor & wine prices

> Korbel champagne is$8.70 at Sams Walmart.What is it at Celebrity?

I'm not a champagne snob, but I can't tell you what Korbel costs anywhere.
Old February 8th, 2005, 10:51 PM
Chris Anderson

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: liquor & wine prices

> Chris,based on your last post would assume you enjoy a good bottle of wine with
> dinner.Celebrity is now offering for select members and also at another time an
> opportunity to blend red wines

Have done so, and I realized at the time that this was going to be a unique experience. I realized I'd never had raw Cabernet to play with!

Pulled my following post from "another" board...

----------------------
If you like the idea of trying to blend you own Cabernet, and are a Captain's Club "Select" or "Elite" member, you'll get the chance to do it. Somehow, Celebrity was able to get Kendall-Jackson to supply raw Cabernet, Merlot and Cabernet Franc to do your own blending. I was either lucky or good enough to come up with one I really liked.

Understand, I'm not a huge Napa fan, but here's how it worked best for me:

Take 40% of the Napa Cab from the lower elevation, 40% from the upper (use the Somona from neither lower or higher vineyards), 15% of the Merlot to smooth out the rough edges on the young Cabernet and 5% of the Cab Franc to add a bit of character. I think you'll really like the results... I'd have actually paid decent money for a bottle of it. Frankly, it was a good deal more fun (and interesting) than the wine tastings X holds.
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:35 PM
trackypup

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: liquor & wine prices

Let's get one thing straight...Korbel is not champagne...it's cheap california sparkling crap.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 08:52 AM
Easy Goer

Chris Anderson wrote:
Since we all know what a fifth of 12yo Glenlivet is supposed to cost at retail (about $36), we know the markup on that.

I just returned from Millenium. I thought I was buying a fifth as well, but was surprised to find a LITRE bottle of Glenlivet in my cabin. The package included a six-pack of any kind of soft drink they had (Coke, ginger ale, etc. -- not just club soda). The cabin steward took the soda order and delivered it the first day on the ship. I am satisfied with the $55 price.

Tim
Old February 22nd, 2005, 10:08 AM
big apple

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: liquor & wine prices

It was good enough for the President of the US to take to China for a very important meeing and if you got the big bucks go for the expensive stuff from our close allies in France.
Old February 22nd, 2005, 04:11 PM
newmexicoNita

tacvkypup, it depends on who you are asking. Some just like the bubbly and have never experienced the type of Champange you have I would guesss. I am not judging anyone's taste here, just comparing attitude. NMNita