Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Dolores Hill

Default Refund for cruise Celebrity Cancelled

We booked a cruise, for 3, with a balcony in late 2004 on the Century for June, 2005 in the Southern Carribean/Panama Canal/Costa Rica area. I used air miles to also book my air.

We were advised by our travel agent on Christmas Eve that Celebrity had pulled this ship and is leaving it in Europe, so the cruise was cancelled. We could get price guarantees if we booked on another Celebrity or Royal Carribean cruise. There were no other cruises we wanted, so we opted to cancel. Celebrity refunded our cruise money, but refused to refund the $180.00 to cancel our air fare, even though it was the line that cancelled, not us.

I wrote a letter to Celebrity and they called and and said they said they would refund if I sent the documents to prove I spent the money. I faxed the documents over 5 weeks ago and can now not get my refund or a return phone call from the agent that origially called me and my travel agent to advise of the refund.

This is very discouraging to me. We have cruised over 20 times with various lines, mostly Princess, and this was to be our first Celebrity. If the refund is not forth coming, we will never sail on Celebrity or Royal Carribean again. This does not seem like a way to treat your customers.
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2005, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Refund for cruise Celebrity Cancelled

I have experienced a similar problem with Celebrity and they did eventually with some "encouragement" from our TA issue our refund. For some crazy reason they do these things in batches and can take up to two billing cycles on your credit card to do it.
It generated some 'bad will" with us, but we eventually got the promiosed credit.
I suggest you continue to call and email every few days until you get your credit. If you speak to someone keep records of names dates and promises made.
Old February 21st, 2005, 10:09 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

Im sorry Dolores. I am a travel agent and I have had this happend with a few cruise lines and tour companies. One infact was Holland America and they were almost impossible but in the end I got the credit. Like PapaBill said it does take a few billing cycles for you to see the credit but do keep calling because people always need to be reminded! Good luck!

Old February 25th, 2005, 04:51 PM
dolores

I received a nice surprize today - Celebrity finally refunded our cancelled airline fees after much persistance - many faxes and unanswered phone messages by myself and our travel agent.....just wanted to update my message. Celebrity did come through in the end.
Old February 26th, 2005, 04:24 PM
newmexicoNita

I am glad to hear they came through; as a TA I know this is a tough one and many times the cruise lines do not refund the money or only after several calls and letters. Now you can find something or someplace you want to go and start planning.

NMNita
Old February 28th, 2005, 01:08 PM
Lillykat

Default Re: Re: Refund for cruise Celebrity Cancelled

I am glad that they did right by you. We were scheduled on the Century in August for a trip to celebrate my husbands graduation (and taking the bar)- and were limited to that week due to work schedule. Unfortunately, we weren't as lucky. We are Elite CC and they told us that after letters and calls to CC, Celebrity etc that if we canceled instead of rebooking (this was the only week we can travel) on Celebrity or RCCL that they wouldn't refund us the money for the change in airfare (if we rebooked with them on their Carribean cruise ONLY they would give us up to 100pp shipboard credit for what we had to pay to change the tickets). We still love celebrity but were very disappointed in the exceptionally rude people we dealt with over there - very unusual in our experience. Since DH is finishing school and I am just looking for work we can't afford to throw money away like that. Oh well.

We did find out recently that they have not been standard in their policies - we were told we must do ONLY a Carribean cruise in 05 only - either later in the year on Century when it comes back from europe or anytime in 05 on RCCL in the carribean only. We later found out that they gave people credits and allowed them to switch to Europe, Alaska, and Bermuda. Something we would have considered (we did push for it). Unfortunately in cancelling we lost our $200 shipboard credit for booking on board (we had to cancel as we won't know when we will get to cruise again and can't afford to have money out on two bookings.) Oh well - we are going to try Princess for the first time.