Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to CruzNLexi
Default Celebrity verses RCI

I have sailed on RCI numerous times I am diamond member. But was thinking of doing Celebrity for our late 06/07 cruise. We do not have kids and was thinking of trying Celebrity out. What typoe of things are there to do by the pool. Do they have a sport area like RCI? do they have Regae bands? If you have sailed RCI and Celebrity which did you like?
Lexil
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:56 PM
hcat

Default Re: Celebrity verses RCI

They have bands at the pool & elsewhere. Sorbet at the pool, drinks etc. NO PA announcements & not the same type of hairy legs stuff & no horse race...but you will really enjoy it. Nice padded pool lounges rather than plastic straps. Just back from Brilliance whihc was great fun & surprisingly excellent food, but looking forward to next two cruises on Celeb..just a different ambiance & more pampered experience. Fewer cruisers per sq. ft & better service overall!
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:58 AM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Celebrity verses RCI

I think of Celebrity as a great party at a nice catering hall, or resturant. You know they serve you at tables, you eat off plates using utensils, drinks are served in a glass.

I think of Royal as a beer blast at a frat house.

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old April 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM
dee-lynn

Are you able to get a lounger on the constellation during a 5 day at sea crossing. Our cruise will be 14 nights and have 5 sea days on them...for that matter is there any problem in getting a lounger at all on constellation. My dh and I loved the RCI Brilliance and the only problem we did encounter was with the loungers.
Old April 7th, 2005, 06:52 PM
JSH

We have been on RCCL 18 times and on Celebrity 6 times.
Obviously we like RCCL better. The cabins, on average, are
nicer on Celebrity, but that is about all. The crew members
are much nicer and friendly on RCCL. None of that
stiff, arrogant crap you find on Celebrity. Also none
of that pressure to tip the chief housekeeper
on RCCL like there is on Celebrity..
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:07 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Re: Celebrity verses RCI

I have found the crew on both lines to be equally hard working and friendly, with the exception that the cruise directors staff on Brilliance was sophmoric at best, leaning towards idiotic. Additionally, I do not find Celebrity to be at all stiff, and definately not arrogant. Indeed, it is a comfortable laid back experience perfect for relaxation. As for feeling pressure over tipping someone .... I tip who I want and if I don't want to tip someone I don't, and I don't feel any guilt, and I certainly don't feel any pressure.

Post Edited (04-07-05 22:08)

Queen Mary 2, Canada

Enchantment, Western Carribbean

Century, Caribbean

Century, Western Mediterranean

Jewel, Eastern Caribbean
Old April 7th, 2005, 10:46 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I have NO idea,but am doing my 1st Celebrity to Alaska in May! But I LOVE RC!
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:37 PM
hcat

If you love Royal you will be really happy with Celeb! It's a cut above in all regards! We do both but you will see the diff almost immediatley, Champagne upon arrival at Celeb as you enter..no loud speakers on Celeb, ..plastic pool loungers on Royal versus nice comfy cushions on Celeb ,, better service on celeb & just a different group of cruisers who like to have fun but are not so raucus. . Our recent Spring Break week on Royal with many families & unsuperpvised children made us think we might be on carnival! Brilliance was a nice ship & we had a nice vacation but look forward to being back with celeb on next two cruises!
Old April 8th, 2005, 07:39 PM
hcat

An example from Celeb Board:

"I found some really cool (and cheap) party lights in a catalog in the shape of tropical fish. Does anyone know if we can use these on our stateroom balcony on the Mariner".
Old April 9th, 2005, 11:32 AM
Benjamin Smith

hcat,

Not everbody that loves RCI loves Celebrity. I went with a group that loves RCI on the Celebrity Constellation and many of them had complaints about lack of activities, no atrium, no towel animals, basically, not much fun. From the original poster's comments, I'm not sure they are looking for what Celebrity's offers. I'm not sure I recommend Celebrity for them.

FWIW, I prefer a Celebrity type of cruise, but I think RCI does an absolutely superb job with their cruises. I prefer the Celebrity ships over the RCI ships, I just find them to be a higher-rung feeling ship (the actual physical ship, not including service and food, etc.). I think, overall, RCI is a better defined product--it delivers what it says it is going to deliver. Celebrity sometimes comes off as overstating their upscale aspects and sets up unrealistic expectations resulting in disappointment.
Old April 9th, 2005, 03:57 PM
newmexicoNita

We did like the Connie, but I do agree with Bejamine on some issues. We found Celebrity to be more upscale than other lines, but didn't feel they totally lived up to our expectations. I can't put my finger on why, but think it had to do with so much hype and although our dinner wait staff were very attentive I always got the feeling they were doing it for tips only and really didn't much care for us. Of course I know they are looking for tips, but some have a better way of hiding this fact. We also thought the ship lacked activities but this is part of what is happening with many ships as they become port intensivefied (spelling) For those who really do enjoy a relaxed atmosphere but with lots of activities and a little more down to earth staff there are better lines than Celebrity. This is not to knock them, we are cruising twice this year, once on Zenith and once on the Galaxy. NMnita
Old April 9th, 2005, 05:40 PM
CruzCrazy

I'll take Celebrity over RCL.

I'm only 50, but I like the better food, service, less kids and no announcements. It's a matter of taste. I don't find Celebrity to be that upscale. I know I wouldn't fit in on a Silverseas, so Celebrity is fine with me.

I'm not totally against RCL though, since I'm booked on the Voyager on May 7 and the Jewel on a back to back in Dec. I'm then back on the Century and the Infinity for 2006.

I have friends who like RCL, so I will cruise it just to be with them.

I do like the Brilliance and I know I will like the Jewel. Not crazy about the mega ships, but if the price and itin is right, I'll book it. I don't expect the food to be great, but I'm already aware of it so I won't be that disappointed.

My opinion is to try both, try RCL's mega ship (Navigator) or (Jewel of Seas) and then Celebrity's (Constellation) or (Century) and make your own judgement.

Different strokes for different folks....boy where did that come from.
Old April 9th, 2005, 06:19 PM
hcat

Above comments are all valid--Brilliance was a lovely ship & I'm glad we had the opportunity to sail on her. Maybe in a different week it'd be a different experience--our fault for not realizing Easter would come so early. On Connie in Sept we were the youngest. On Summit last March it was a great mix of ages but all wonderfully behaved guests. On the plus side for this ship--more places to hang out than on M class..More music choices.. More dining choices except not the healthy food of aquaspa cafe. We enjoyed both Chops & Portofino--great food & service without the pretension of the specialty rooms on Celeb... .We are also in our 50's & have enjoyed great times & dancing/ partying on M class--guess it depends the week you go & who is along for the trip...still have not had a bad cruise on either Royal or Celeb--just overall prefer Celeb experience but like the Royal ships--Enchantment (pre-strectching) & Brilliance both are lovely! Whatever you pick==you will enjoy it!