Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 22nd, 2005, 02:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Summit review

Hi everyone,

We just returned from Summit's 14 night cruise, San Diego to Alaska and everything was wonderful! EXCEPT for Cirque Du Soleil. Celebrity has really screwed up there... they have totally ruined the Revelations Lounge. It's really a shame to take the best place on the ship and turn it into a cheap, ugly, dark room. Really ruined the best viewing area for fabulous scenery. I will give a review later on the trip.........but this will be our last cruise on any Celebrity ship that has Cirque.

SoCalGal
Sponsored Links
Old May 22nd, 2005, 04:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Summit review

We will be traveling on the Summit in Dec. Anxious for your review of the ship, etc.
Also...what is wrong with Cirque Du Soleil? Is it the show? Can you be more specific?
Old May 22nd, 2005, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We just returned from Summit's 14 night cruise, San Diego to Alaska and everything was wonderful! EXCEPT for Cirque Du Soleil.

Cirque does not seem to be going over very well. I've certainly heard more negative than positive comments.

However, if everything else was wonderful, I'm a bit surprised that Cirque on it's own, would keep you off the ship.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old May 22nd, 2005, 08:11 PM
hcat

I was afraid of this. Oh well, we have Hawaii booked on Summit for March '06 & hope by then they open up the windows so we can look out during the many days at sea. Kukii--the big deal to us is that there are really limited places to go on M class ships & on a long trip, the Revelations lounge area is both a nice spot for daytime enjoyment of the views & the main nighttime venue after the show. Michael's lounge, the Cova & Aft bar can get repetitive as the same ones perform there over & over. The main lounge was the spot for dancing & fun after the show or in lieu of it. Late night there is a DJ but that's not the same as dancing to a live band. By day we have enjoyed whale watching & other great sights from front row seats in the Lounge while the naturalist gives a lecture....with curtains blocking the front windows that won't be possible. Hope they do not change the Constellation over to the same thing--want to book that for a Carib trip in the future & would like one more trip before they ruin it. . While I would not rule out any ship with Cirque, it would factor into my decision.....
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:40 AM
Cruize_Crazy

That space is so significant. I spent hours on end in there reading and drinking wine and looking out those beautiful windows. It was so relaxing in there during the day and now its gone for some pretentious, yuppie circus.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 03:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just a short note to add to my post...I will get back to the review as soon as I have the time...got lots of mail and laundry to catch up on.

The Revelations Lounge was the best place for viewing the Hubbard Glacier, entering the beautiful ports and miles of white-capped mountain ranges. We took this cruise on the Summit last year and thought it was the best view from any place on the ship. This year we were relegated to the outside of the ship, which is nice if you don't mind the wind and very cold temperatures, or some of the smaller areas of the ship. We sat in the Spa area that has large windows and also spent time on our verandas....but you still have lost that panoramic view that we all enjoyed. (We also have sailed on the Mille and loved that lounge for sailing into ports such as Alexandria, Egypt). I will post pictures of the Revelations Lounge as soon as I have time.....a picture is worth a thousand words....

Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:00 PM
Yeoman

SoCalGal, I'm not sure I understand. Was the Revelation lounge closed 24/7 for the entire cruise or just in the evenings?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 05:06 PM
Cruize_Crazy

Revelations Lounge no longer exists. The Bar at the Edge of the Earth has taken its place and the windows are blocked or obstructed permanently or as long as Celebrity continues their little experiment with Cirque.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Got an e-mail yesterday from a friend that was on that same cruise So Cal Gal.
Their impression was the same about the "Edge of the Earth". Hopefully Celebrity will read all the comment cards and stop the nonsense of the Circus.

Sea of Cortez on Ryndam 9-28-2005

Round trip Los Angeles to Hawaii, Summit March 26, 2006

Post Edited (05-23-05 21:25)

Old May 24th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Admiral

I have sailed Summit twice. From everything I am reading, Celebrity has spoiled one of the best spaces on the ship (day and night).
Old May 24th, 2005, 12:26 PM
hcat

Would it be possible to copy this thread & send it to someone at celebrity who is in charge of making or breaking thse types of contracts....Someone should really let them know what a negative this pretentious non-art is doing to the beautiful design of their ships...would not book another for Alaska but will stick with it for Hawaii... If it could be sopied & sent tellme how to do it & I will. We have enjoyed this line & have no real affordable alternative.
Old May 24th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

hcat-

I just posted a couple of photos showing Revelations taken immediately after we boarded in San Diego. My digital camera is Canon Power Shot S 410....the flash went off because of the darkness of the room. The lounge is exactly as it looks in these photos.

We were informed by Guest Relations personnel that they had orignally planned to close Revelations during the day, but due to many complaints, left it open.

Old May 24th, 2005, 10:55 PM
First Mate

I don't understand. So all of the windows are covered in the lounge? And are those little cubicles that they built for people to sit in? This might be one of the worst decisions that Celebrity has ever made. They should have just done a Cirque show at night for one night in the main show lounge which would have still kept the beauty of the ship. They could have transformed the theatre and done a complete cirque themed night. Like Costa has the Roman/toga night. and then Celebrity does the black and white ball already make it "The Ball at the Edge of the Earth." I really liked sitting up there on the M class of vessels. Thank god they have not touched the millenium, galaxy and infinity because those are my two favoriates. i am actually doing christmas/new years on summit for hawaii. Is the cirque thing still going to be there?
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:10 PM
hcat

WOW-- I saw the photos--really awful--& I bet those rags are getting dirty & dingy with alot of dust. It reminds me of the catacombs scene in Phantom of the Opera or some cheesy wine cafe in the 60's. The idea about having it in the nightclub was a real stroke of genius--they could preseve their contract & give this lounge back it's life..They should also look at the top area of Brilliance (Royal) to see how it could be divided into a large club & smaller cigar bar area. Is there any live music in there or just the eerie cirque stuff? Not happy but too late to shift our Hawaii plans for 06--but no more bookings for us on this ship until they change that room!
Old May 25th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

I sent this thread to Celebrity. I also have posted a review of the Summit under "ship reviews", so hopefully it will be there in a few days.

Old May 30th, 2005, 06:44 PM
ginny lammers

We just returned from the Summit -- sailing 5/20/05.....windows were not covered.....we enjoyed the views from there several times during the day....with very few people around....at night we loved the look and atmosphere up there....
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:53 PM
hcat

Great News! Our day time view to the sea will not be blocked...& if revenues disappoint the whole menagerie may be gone by the time we cruise.
Old May 31st, 2005, 10:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

We disembarked on May 20th. It would be hard to believe that they have changed that room back to where it was. The windows were never "covered"......just blocked. Please look at my photos and you'll see what I mean. If they have removed the tented beds, the drapes and screens, then that would be a good thing. It would allow everyone access to those panoramic views Revelations once had from all parts of the room. There is a reason there were very few people around. The tables and chairs that once lined the windows in the front of the room are gone. For many of us who have sailed the Mille-Class ships and have enjoyed this lounge it is a real disappointment.

Old June 6th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Tom A.

Default Re: Re: Summit review

I have read several comments regarding the Cirque experience. My wife and I have sailed Celebrity several times and have found the ships, service, and food to be outstanding. I certainly would not avoid Celebrity simply due to Cirque. Do not go! The crew does not force anyone to attend the show. I am surprised that any individual would place so much importance on a form of entertainment (if that is what is truly is). We cruise for the distenations, the excellent service, and the wonderful people we meet. Cirque is way down the latter of importance and should not take the spot light or be the primary reason for any cruise experience.
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:12 PM
hcat

I understand your preferences but for those who are not that keen on the theater entertainment at night or the gambling--the lounge area is the best alt. for live dance music atfter dinner, Also during the day we have enjoyed the anniv parties in there and just sea gazing--M ships have limited places to go to esp on a long trip so it does make a diff to some of us....And having these ugly tents in front of the windows is really not a plus!
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Lili

Default Re: Re: Re: Summit review

BRAVO ! Tom...

Well said!
Old June 7th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Billy Bob

I think many people are missing the point entirely on this Cirque thing. I could care less if they have cirque in the Theatre on a few evenings or if they have it in the lounge. The problem is that they have ruined one of the most spacious, comfortable and scenic parts of the ship.
Old June 7th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you Billy Bob! I guess some of you don't quite understand that it is not the night time that I am concerned about...there are other places to dance such as the Rendezvous Lounge...it is the daytime views from that room that was so great.

I can drive over to Las Vegas and see Cirque....it's a great show. But this not the same thing.......it's not a show at all.

Old June 8th, 2005, 12:24 PM
hcat

Sorry to have to disagree about the dancing--the rendezvous lounge caters to a style of dancing that pre-dates my era--so for us if there's no party band in the lounge there is no dancing except for the DJ after hrs...--guess we could fake a waltz or two step or cha cha but it's not the same.... Hopefully cirque will fade out & the tents be removed by next yr when we cruise again on Summit...& I hope Mecury for our next trip has remained a beautiful ship without any bizarre changes! We liked it the way it ws!
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm not that old either hcat.....at least not in my mind......ha! I like the newer music to dance to also. I don't really care for 40's and 50's music, but my parents sure enjoy it. But the real issue to me is how they have ruined the lounge for any venue by installing Cirque. As Billy Bob said, they could put the Cirque in some other area.....I'm thinking somewhere in the deep recesses of the ship would be nice.......dark and mysterious.

Old June 10th, 2005, 01:17 PM
PapaBear

Hello>
I am confused. Are the views blocked during the day time, or only at night for the show?

Also, is this the kind of show that you would want to see several times?

We are booked for the 14-night cruise, starting in Vancouver on Sept. 16th, and arriving in LA 30th Sept.

I haven't paid for everything yet. Should I cancel and try a different line/ship?
Old June 10th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Longboysfan

I linked to the pictures SoCal Gal put up...
But only 4 showed up.
Old June 11th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Link to my photo gallery titled "Summit Cirque du Soleil" to see the photos of the Revelations Lounge. The views are partialIy blocked from all parts of the room. I wouldn't cancel your cruise.....Alaska is wonderful...I am only reporting on Cirque (which is not a show on this ship) for those that are interested. Personally I would take the 12 night Infinity round trip from San Francisco if I had it to do over again....so far that ship doesn't have Cirque.

Old June 20th, 2005, 03:20 PM
claude

Hi all,

All in all, judging by the previous exchanges on that topic....Celebrity's management
decision to obliterate the prime top viewing part of that ship, forward Revelation lounge,with a '' Cirque du Soleil '' equipment ranks aas probably the worst even taken in that industry.
True, nobody is forced to watch the darn thing.....but to take away on a constant basis
a truly magnificent viewing/ lounging area for the sake of a '' show '' ( their description,certainly not mine....) which takes minimum time ,some nights during the
cruise.....that sucks !!!
Yes, SUMMIT is such a top class ship overall that one must take the good with the bad and still aim to ENJOY the whole cruise. But, specially on the Alaska sailings, that
lounge was/still should be the absolute best place to enjoy the scenery for many hours in a day,given the long daylight hours you can take advantage of up there.
We sailed her 1 year ago this week...FABULOUS ....specially the evening hours spent
up there watrching whales, scenery, later at night meeting other ships, etc..all while
still near daylight at 12.45am.!!!
Anybody got any feed back on the Connie ??? So far, she's the only other ship having
undergone this '' transformation ".
Saw the SUMMIT in Vancouver last friday.....the front part of the REVELATION lounge
is still obscured by those silly tents....no more chairs...

IMO anyways...
Cheers
CG
Old June 20th, 2005, 08:01 PM
hcat

Let's keep up on this issue! Hope by next March our Summit is restored--just in time to see the beautiful sea as we cruise to & from Hawaii! We have two trips also booked on Mercury so I hope it is not destined for any surprise improvements....