Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2005, 12:39 AM
MarciaRose

Default attire for Alaska

We are sailing the Mercury June 10th and I'm not sure what to bring. Are heavy winter coats needed? What about evening attire? Should I wear something long-sleeved and warm or is a strappy evening gown with a scarf ok? Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: attire for Alaska

Hi M.R.
You'll only need heavy coats if you are doing any glacier excursions, otherwise layered clothing would be the best and you can peel off things as the day warms up.

You may want to read through the Alaska guide, lots of good tips and info:

Alaska Planning Guide for 2005

As for evening attire, wear what you would normally wear for a nice nite out and pack a sweater in case the dining room is chilly.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 26th, 2005, 03:57 PM
Cruise Maniac

You'll wear layers ashore and for evening you can wear strapless gowns or sleeveless as the ship is warm and cozy.....just bring a light wrap for your shoulders. I took a light weight jacket and also a down jacket with me to wear at various times. My down jacket is light and packs really well in a suitcase.

Old May 29th, 2005, 10:44 PM
MarciaRose

Thank you both for your advice....I really needed it. Also, I so appreciate the link to the Alaska guide. Thanks again!
Old June 6th, 2005, 10:45 PM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to DalTX

I just got back from the Mercury to Alaska June 3rd.The weather was just wonderful.Sunny every port! As a matter of fact,above average temps.It was cold on the day of Hubbard Glacier cruising out on the deck,so wear your hat and gloves(and I had on my down jacket over my layers)

I did a glacier trek and it started out being a little cool and I was upset they made me leave my jacket behind and wear theres (I wanted both Im so cold natured),but soon into the 2 hr trek I began to warm up! It was really nice,but did indeed need my gloves/hat there.

If you take the WP train,it was very cold out on the platform.So take your layers,jacket,hat and gloves! And,if you want good shots,you have to go outside.If not,stay inside and its VERY warm with the stove,although each car has a choice to turn their stove off. We opted to keep ours on

In the dining room,I had on long sleeves and found it to be only slightly chilly.When we first went in each night it was warm and then cooler as the evening wore on.We had a wonderful table by the window so some warm natured men were complaining about the sun beating down on them! ..I loved it!

Dot.