Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default Coming annoucement regarding-- "Exciting News" abo

Next week there will be a major announcement from Celebrity regarding plans for the Celebrity Century.

A meeting will be held in Miami on Tuesday, with Celebrity's new President Dan Hanrahan to make the announcement, and presentation of the plans. I'll be present at that meeting to bring CruiseMates "hot of the presses" details. Then I'll be returning home that day, to leave for Amsterdam the next day, to board the Century... and will be sending back reports from the ship, with reactions of the officers and crew to the annoucements.

Stay tuned to CruiseMates for the breaking news.

- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Sponsored Links
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Coming annoucement regarding-- "Exciting News"

A cliffhanger posting if ever there was one. Is this at all related to your last minute decision to sail Century?
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:58 AM
hcat

maybe it will be strectched & more balcony cabins and suites added!
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:59 AM
hcat

Also Kuki if yo get the chance give him the negative reaction to Cirque on M class & see if he can get our nice views restored by taking down those curtains!...
Old May 25th, 2005, 04:41 PM
gann

We'll be sailing on the Millennium in Nov. out of Barcelona. See if you can get them to leave the ship alone while its in dry dock and not put Cirque on her. Thanks.
Gann
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:31 PM
Seagull

Default Re: Re: Coming annoucement regarding-- "Exciting News&q

I doubt this will be good news as far as I am concerned. I love the Century just the way she is. No doubt some bright spark has decided to stretch her and add balconies. What a shame!
Old May 26th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Mike in the Midwest

HAae reservations on the Century in the Spring- if they dry dock the ship during that time- what is Celebrity's policy for the cancelled cruises.
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Admiral

We are booked for Oct. 29th - the Century's first Caribbean sailing when she returns from Europe. It will be a big disappointment for us if our cruise is cancelled.
Cindy

Old May 26th, 2005, 12:24 PM
hcat

We received our newsletter yesterday. It had info in a special insert about Centruy moving to Europe predominantly--so maybe that's it. We'll just have to wait & see what Kuki finds out at the big event! Looks like a nice offering if Europe is in your plans...wonder why everyone is rushing to Europe these days--short memories of 9-ll.
Old May 26th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Benjamin Smith

Actually, it's scary to hear about "exciting" news regarding any of the Century ships. The Century is the closest thing the cruise industry has to a modern day classic that was built in the 1990s. Most ships of the 1990s just aren't that distinctive. Hopefully, the size of the ship is maintained, nothing is done to classic public areas such as the dining room, Crystal lounge, and Michael's club, any balconies added are barely noticeable, and I really don't need a specialty dining room but if there is one, that it is placed where the current sky bar is. What would be totally unacceptable is the removal of a lounge to place the specialty dining room. I'll wait and see, but the most exciting news would be that the ship has been totally refreshed, and is a like-new version of its original self.
Old May 27th, 2005, 12:45 AM
Cruize_Crazy

Maybe they are going to convert the entire ship to a cirque theme and double the prices. Since Celebrity seems to be somewhat suicidal these days I dont think that would be out of the question. Mr Hanrahan! Tear down those curtains!!
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Fodorite

Huh? I read awhile ago that they would be adding balconies to most of the outside cabins. Is that it? Old news....
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:05 AM
Fodorite

What's with the curtains? I've only sailed the Mercury, and am looking at the Zenith for a Bermuda sailing, but can someone explain about the curtains? Thanks.
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Benjamin Smith

Curtains are in the observation lounges of the Constellation and Summit for the Cirque de Soleil "experience". They only apply to these two ships so far and probably are not considered for pre-Millennium ships.
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Fodorite

So the Cirque show is not performed on the theatre, but in the observation lounge?
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:25 AM
Admiral

The speculation about the changes to the Celebrity have been ongoing for quite some time. There were even rumors going around to balcony cabins being added to the Zenith.

I'm guessing that this announcement will be quite detailed, because I think to simply announce that she's being stretched and balconies added could have been handled with a faxed press release, rather than bringing in "high priced" people like me to attend <VBG>

Old May 27th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Benjamin Smith

Fodorite,

Cirque is not a show. It is an "experience". Various visual effects and characters roam around the lounge while hypnotic music is played. The idea is an "alternate" reality, a fantasy world.
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Fodorite

Benjamin,

Oh, forgive me, the "experience"...what was I thinking by referring to it as a mere show? Aren't there less expensive (albeit illegal) ways to achieve an alternate reality?
Old May 27th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Admiral

That's one of the main problems with the Cirque idea. Passengers are confused. They to expecting to see a performance of Cirque de Soulie, similar to what they might see in Vegas. Instead they get a "themed party" with "cirque characters".

Old May 27th, 2005, 11:37 AM
hcat

Some of the photos of those cirque characters are really bizarro!
Anyhow--with such a heavy Europe schedule I doubt they can do much in a short time to change the ship...Have never yet had the pleasure of being on Century & fear they will ruin it before I get the chance. But in the interests of giving them a benefit of the doubt I am hoping the announcement is something we will all LOVE! I am glad Kuki will be there so we will get the real scoop rather than PR spin!
Old May 27th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Cruize_Crazy

I heard they are going to convert the Mercury to a Flintstones theme and turn the chow hall into a Chucky Cheese.
Old May 28th, 2005, 03:58 PM
First Mate

That should fit in nicely with their Cirque alternate reality expeience BS. Frankly, I think the cheif got hold of some alternate reality mushrooms and fed them to "The Suits".
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:06 PM
hcat

Kuki---what do you think the announcement will be based on your experiences with these types of announcements ..hype or something good for loyal cruisers?
Old May 29th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Cruize_Crazy

Im sure they are getting rid of the Celebrity brand and integrating the whole fleet into Royal Caribbean. I would bet money on it. Any takers?
Old May 29th, 2005, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Normally these types of annoucement are handled with simple press releases. The manner in which they are preparing this "announcement" leads me to believe it's something more. Perhaps the Sttttettttcccch, and ameniites being add. Perhaps some unusual itinerary moves.

Or maybe the new President sees it as a way to get amongst the press.

Old May 30th, 2005, 10:35 AM
Admiral

CC

I don't think you are really too far off line with that thought, I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the future. That type of an annoucement would not I believe be made solely by the President of Celebrity. I think Kuki is on target for the stretch and adding amenities. She just reported in her newsletter about the stretch on the Royal Caribbean ship. The shipyard where the extra piece was made, would now be free to build another one for the Century. Seems like a logical extension, pardon the pun.

Don
Old May 30th, 2005, 01:15 PM
CruzCrazy

For what it's worth......I was just on the Voyager and the head waiter told me that since they have the Freedom of the Seas and two more Ultra ships in the works those ships will stay in the Caribbean and do Eastern/Western itins.

He told me the Explorer of the Seas is going to the west coast but not sure about the Navigator or Voyager. Looks like the Voyager is doing more and more northeast cruises, so I would think think they are going to keep it up there.

Since Caribbean cruising is so popular and RCL excels in that area, it makes sense that the Ultra ships will stay in the Caribbean. They are proud to have the largest ship and are in competion with Carnival.

I heard on my last Celebrity cruise that the honchos were going to look into Asia and lo and behold they were but now have scrapped that. The Summit was the ship to go over.

As far as I'm concerned let RCL do the Caribbean and have Celebrity go to more exotic longer cruises.

I only wish they would have a Ft. Lauderdale to Bermuda cruise, which Costa is going to do next year.
Old May 30th, 2005, 06:00 PM
First Mate

When is this announcement due???
Old May 31st, 2005, 08:12 AM
STEFY

Franckly my opinion regardig Century Stetching due the performance of the Cirque maybe it's not only the reason for this.
If the most of the Cruises line have built new vessels, Celebrity have not intention to built new ships. It's a good compromise between new ships and a modern fleet.