Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 7th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Admiral

Default CELEBRITY CENTURY DRYDOCK

CELEBRITY CRUISES will be making changes to the Century by adding another 314 balconies to the ship during a five-week drydock in spring 2006. It is estimated that the project will cost about $55 million. The goal was to bring the ship more in line with Celebrity's newest builds, the Millennium-class ships. Other changes: An alternative restaurant and some of the newer bars and lounges will be added to the Century.

Post Edited (06-07-05 13:58)
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:57 AM
hcat

Default Re: CELEBRITY CENTURY DRYDOCK

what do you mean by clamping them on--does this mean it isn't being stretched with new cabins but just having balconies put onto existing cabins? I wonder how that is done?
Old June 7th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Mike in the Midwest

What are the dates of the drydock?
Old June 7th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Here's the blurb from the Cruisemates News Page:

6-3-05
Weekend Cruise News
*** Celebrity Cruises' Century will undergo a $55 million refurbishment next year which will see many features of the Millennium-class vessels added. The 77,713-ton vessel will emerge from a five-week drydock period on June 2, 2006, with 314 new verandas, 14 new suites, 10 new staterooms ranging from inside to veranda category, an expanded number of ConciergeClass category staterooms and a new specialty restaurant. The "Casual Dining Boulevard" on the lido deck will be expanded to offer a Sushi Café, made-to-order Pasta and Pizza Bar, a small ice cream parlor, along with buffet breakfasts, themed lunches, and dinner service with a casual dress code every night. A new Spa Café will be introduced, offering light, healthy spa cuisine for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Other additions include the Cova Café Milano, new Champagne Bar, new Martini Bar, a "High Seas Computing" center and a permanent space dedicated to the "Acupuncture at Sea" program. Both the spa and children's facilities will be expanded. Following the drydock, Century will sail in Europe on Baltic, Norwegian Fjords, Western Europe and Mediterranean itineraries. From November 2006 through April 2007, Century will sail four and five-night Caribbean cruises round-trip from Miami.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 8th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Admiral

Hi Mike,
Just thought I would mention that a correction is in order for the next to last sentence on your above post. The Century will NOT be doing 4 and 5 night cruises in the Caribbean starting in November of '05. She is starting 9 and 10-night cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale on Oct. 29th. I think you probably meant to type '06.
Cindy

Old June 8th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks Cindy!

It's nice to know we have good eyes on the board.

I appreciate it and it's corrected. I will also let the news folks know.

Tak care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:30 PM
hcat

I would love to try a before & after comparison but it may not work into our schedule--I hope the new itins are interesting....Most of the changes sound good--not so for expanded spa, children's center or acupuncture--services I won't use very much....but it will give more variety. I guess just enjoying a cruise for the ship & the sea is "passe" & it has all to do with bigger & better--I could sit & watch the sea for hrs
Old June 8th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Benjamin Smith

hcat,

Enjoying a cruise for the ship and the sea will never be passe.

The Century represents a standard of excellence for Celebrity, captures a certain period of vitality and creativity in Celebrity's lifetime, was designed to evoke a 1920s to 1930s ocean liner feel. Hopefully, Celebrity remembers this when making modifications to the ship. I know it is popular for many people to say that the ship will feel older because it lacks amenities that the newer ships have. My response is so what? If you take a look at HAL's Statendam class ships, built between 1992-1996, there are plenty of people who like the size, style, and content of ships built in that period. I'll say this: compare ships of the mainstream lines of 1997 vs. 2003 and you'll find much more distinction going from line to line than you'll find now.

Best news about Century's drydock is that some areas will be refurbished, hopefully using original or similar materials and patterns of the original ship. I like that she's getting a specialty restaurant and that it won't replace any major public area. I also like that she will not be stretched. So Celebrity listened to its fans to some degree. Biggest fear is the unnatural attempt to make it more like a Millennium ship. The draw of the Century should be what it uniquely represents. That's the draw of HAL's only moderately modified Statendam class ships.

Here is an option we should all remember. The option of not having to deal with what we don't want. Century as it is gives us the option of sailing on a ship unlike the Millennium class which frankly has many options some of us could care less about and are possible on the Millennium ships if one needs them.
Old June 8th, 2005, 07:15 PM
hcat

Well said--actually we may book a third trip on Mercury which so far remains untouched but for some minor upgrades--It is still a ship rather than a floating pleasure barge (opinions will differ--just IMHO)