Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Celebrity
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 17th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Beginner

Default Summit: Are 9th Floor Cabins Really This Bad?

Oh lord, I have booked a 9th floor cabin. I read this review on a cruise review site and just about had a heart attack. Can anybody comment on this?

ORIGINAL POST

Cabins: Extremely disappointed. We booked a year in advance on the 9th deck with a deluxe stateroom/balcony. Nowhere in any brochures is there notice that the ENTIRE 9TH DECK is obstructed view (particularly when going to mountainous/glacier areas where balcony view is important)! This is true for every Millenium-class ship (4) in their fleet!! The ship design expands the 10th deck (above) by about 10 feet on either side so that's an overhang that significantly reduces the view. Additionally, the supports for the extension all rise from the 9th deck, so side views are all of support structures. Yet they charge the higher prices. Also, particularly aft, but I'm told by the concierge also in the forward section, the noise from the cafe above from about midnight to 4 am can keep you awake -- especially light sleepers (me). I received a discount on a future cruise because I complained about the noise twice keeping me awake all night. Additionally, because of the extended deck in the cafe, people eating in the alcoves there can look down on people in the 7th and 8th deck balconies -- so privacy can be limited. If you are scheduled for a 9th deck cabin and plan to be on the balcony a lot change to the 7th or 8th deck IMMEDIATELY!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2005, 06:38 PM
hcat

Default Re: Summit: Are 9th Floor Cabins Really This Bad?

Can't say--never did a 9th deck cabin-- we usually don't book under decks that are not cabin decks (except Ok on Mercury) & do not like overhangs that much...have been on 8th twice & doing 7th next trip---8th I believe is still cc class so you could switch---don't go next to a suite on 8 though as you then get a smaller balcony with less privacy...
Old June 18th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Take a look at the link. MichelleP posted photos. You can see the support posts. It is not that bad. We had many a cabin on the 9th deck.

http://www.cruise-forums.com/forums/...=39090&t=39088

Old June 18th, 2005, 04:44 PM
cruisindarryl

Hey all!

When I looked at the first couple of pics I thought that's not so bad but then in seeing them with the scenery slashed through by the support rods, i had to rethink. For pictures it is not good, because the supports are going to be all someone sees in the pics when viewed back home.

I have only been on one cruise with a balcony and loved it! One of the primary things is leaning across the rail and seeing an unobstructed view of what you are looking at. So I can understand somebody who is forwarned would maybe not want to book thIs type of cabin.

On the other hand, if i found myself in one, the supports and/or overhang do not really block the horizon view. In Alaska you do not get close enough on a ship this size for it to cut off a glacier or even the Fairweather Mountain range. Also, during inclement weather, which Alaska is prone to have, the overhang is a shelter of sorts.

So, if i was aware I may book another cabin but if i booked this one with out knowing I would think of it as a slight dissapointment in view but otherwise, I would have a great cruise!!

=CruisinD=

P.S. I am not a light sleeper and have never heard more than the lull of the waves or the hum of the engine. =D=
Old June 19th, 2005, 02:23 PM
claude gareau

Good morning,

You are correct as regards deck 9 cabins on the Millenium class.
It is odd that they have CC or 2A categories on that deck , what with
its '' imperfections ''.
However, things have to be kept in perspective....The view is NOT
totally obstructed, more a nuisance than an obstruction. As well, the
noise from deck 10 would be a factor ONLY if you are a light sleeper AND
you happen to have a cabin straight under the lounge chairs area in the
pool.If you're under the forward portion, you're under the aquaspa and aerobics
areas,,,,not much noise emanating from there middle of the night. Aft section puts
you under the buffet....again, not much action there EXCEPT early morning when
the crew sets up for breakfast,moves chairs around, ect...
It is tru of any ship: the dock cabin deck is always under the classic Lido decks
that have the buffet and swimming pool actions...

If you can stand the overhang on deck 9 on the SUMMIT, you'll be doing fine.
You have picked an otherwise superior ship in every way, beleive me...
If you can go down a deck, even better....cabins below, cabins above...and if you
have a CC booking, same service ( they're on both decks 8 and 9 )
Cheers
CG